Outdoor Grow, Under Sun, No Greenhouse, Minimum Daylight Hours?

• Thread starter MumblesMcFly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Will a plant start to flower if put outdoors during 12 hour 15 minute daylight /per day?

• Total voters
M

MumblesMcFly

Problem: Location were the garden is only gets just barely over 12 hours sunlight all year sometimes less. Due to Lat and Long not obstructions. So what is the minimum amount of sunlight hours to keep plants from entering flower stage. I plan to seed them in jiffy pots outside and put the babies in the ground Early to mid April. Sunrise to Sunset is 12:15 Goes up to 13:50 mid June then starts down again to less then 12 hours by the end of september. Any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of maybe just putting them out even earlier to get a jump, because Im 90% sure no matter what they may start to flower and the revert back to veg. So I guess my real question is: is 12 hours 1 min long enough to keep in Veg? How about 12 hours 5 min...etc....Thanks - Oh yeah , They are regular (not feminized and not auto) beans I've been saving from some greenhouse bud I get from Colorado and Cali. mainly sour and ocean grown decendents. Mumbles

iKharon

iKharon

Problem: Location were the garden is only gets just barely over 12 hours sunlight all year sometimes less. Due to Lat and Long not obstructions. So what is the minimum amount of sunlight hours to keep plants from entering flower stage. I plan to seed them in jiffy pots outside and put the babies in the ground Early to mid April. Sunrise to Sunset is 12:15 Goes up to 13:50 mid June then starts down again to less then 12 hours by the end of september. Any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of maybe just putting them out even earlier to get a jump, because Im 90% sure no matter what they may start to flower and the revert back to veg. So I guess my real question is: is 12 hours 1 min long enough to keep in Veg? How about 12 hours 5 min...etc....Thanks - Oh yeah , They are regular (not feminized and not auto) beans I've been saving from some greenhouse bud I get from Colorado and Cali. mainly sour and ocean grown decendents. Mumbles
I think you'd be fine with a race that's used to that.. may consider just running autos. This, imo, is very strain dependent

below frigid

below frigid

Seed plants are way more tolerant than clones. Start them with less than 12 hours then bump it up slowly keeping it just a little less than the hours of daylight outdoors. As long as the minutes of light are increasing they wont flower. When you put them out just make sure the days are longer than under the lights and still getting longer. When the days start to shorten they will flower.

M

MumblesMcFly

Seed plants are way more tolerant than clones. Start them with less than 12 hours then bump it up slowly keeping it just a little less than the hours of daylight outdoors. As long as the minutes of light are increasing they wont flower. When you put them out just make sure the days are longer than under the lights and still getting longer. When the days start to shorten they will flower.
Sweet. Hope this works. Trying to get 3 or 4 crops in this year. Last year I started inside either 18hrs or 24 cant remember and when I put them out the started flowering for a week or two then went back to veg. Cost me about a month of wasted time. This year Im just going to start them outside under the sun in those little jiffy greenhouses then put em in the ground after a week or two. We already past the winter solstice so the days about 11 hours and growing. I'll let you know how we do. Thanks for the input.

below frigid

below frigid

Not sure where your at but I might be more concerned about the night time temps. I have started seeds 2/15 here below lattitude 36 and never had a problem. I did have to bring them inside on some of the colder nights until. Sort of a pain when you have lots of trays. Until the beginning of April.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Two things.
First, it doesn't have to be full sun to count. You can usually expect an extra hour of acceptable light both before and after sun rise, sun set.
Most important...do not go from 18 or 24 hours to outdoors 12 hours. The plants will surely flip. If you are putting out into 12 hours of light your seedlings should be grown in approx. 12 hours of artificial light.
Free advice...plants started earlier will not out perform plants started when the growing inviroment is at its best. I started mid March, then again mid April with no differences noted by early June.

M

MumblesMcFly

Not sure where your at but I might be more concerned about the night time temps. I have started seeds 2/15 here below lattitude 36 and never had a problem. I did have to bring them inside on some of the colder nights until. Sort of a pain when you have lots of trays. Until the beginning of April.

M

MumblesMcFly

Two things.
First, it doesn't have to be full sun to count. You can usually expect an extra hour of acceptable light both before and after sun rise, sun set.
Most important...do not go from 18 or 24 hours to outdoors 12 hours. The plants will surely flip. If you are putting out into 12 hours of light your seedlings should be grown in approx. 12 hours of artificial light.
Free advice...plants started earlier will not out perform plants started when the growing inviroment is at its best. I started mid March, then again mid April with no differences noted by early June.
I get under 11 hours of civilian daylight now and longest day of the year is 13H48Min. Im not trying to get a head start, trying to get 3 or 4 harvests. I understand fall will be the best one. But I have done this successfully last winter, but I started inside at 18 hours and the flowered and reverted back after putting outdoors. This year Im starting 2 qeeks earlier to try for 4 harvests, but Im starting them outside. No artificial light at all. I figure if I started now, I can plant agian and again every 4-8 weeks and Ill just have a perpetual harvest. Im only planing on doing 1-6 plants per pod, depending on how big they get with LST pinching and topping.

M

MumblesMcFly

I think you'd be fine with a race that's used to that.. may consider just running autos. This, imo, is very strain dependent
I cant pay for seeds so autos are out. I got my beans mainly from bags shipped in from around the US. Some sours some OGs Im not picky, theyre all mixed in together. Ill have no Idea whats what until they start to grow.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're starting from seed, and you're in SoCal, you can start, grow and finish outside just fine. If you've started the seeds indoors I don't think you're going to have an issue just putting them out unless they're already sexually mature. If sexually mature, then, in my experience, a reduction of daylight by as little as 1 hour can cause them to start flowering.

IF that's the case, then plan to light them up at some point while vegging. Either in the evening, extend the daylight to match what you've had them on, or in the morning, again to extend the daylight phase. OR you can interrupt the dark phase, I've found an hour is usually sufficient.

Drowblock501

Drowblock501

My plants started outdoors this is chocolope the. Biggest one and the other small ones idk the genetics

20170426 151936
20170426 151928
20170426 151921
P

PromDate

Sorry for the old bump....Looking to take a couple of girls out for the finish line and wondering if its to soon, or just right.? Been watching the sun and I think im cynked up, thoughts? Springs Co

Top Bottom