Outdoor Oregon harvest. Drying in a barn during a week of rain.

• Thread starter GusBus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GusBus

GusBus

Hi everyone. First time poster here. This is my second season where I am growing my own garden. Last year I messed up the drying process and I lost all the nose and taste. This year I'm trying to improve. I harvested my 7 plants 2-3 days ago and they are hanging in a non air tight barn. This week of rain is just now starting. I have a heater and fans going but I'm worried about the humidity during the extended rain. I have maybe 20 lbs hanging. The outdoor temp is 60 during the day and low 40's at night. The barn is in the shade. How can I give myself the best chances of success in these conditions?

Last edited:
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

Are they all hanging up, or do you put them through say a Spin Pro and then spread them all out?

Of course a dehumidifier would be perfect, set desired RH and forget about it..personally with that much investment i would bag the lot and dry it at home in perfect controlled conditions, but obviously that is out of the option and i totally understand that.

What kind of heater are you using?

Last edited:
GusBus

GusBus

They are all hanging. I didn't trim off the fan leaves because I didn't know that was a thing.

I have an oil heater with a thermostat and a cheap electric one. I don't have space indoors to hang all this. Would a dehum work in a drafty barn during rain?

I've covered the barn sides as best I could with tarps... But its still a barn.

Last edited:
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

They are all hanging. I didn't trim off the fan leaves because I didn't know that was a thing.
Best thing you can do would be do get yourself a spin pro, when you sit down with it, it be sitting on top of a crate/bin lined with a plastic garbage bag.
All your left overs will land inside the bag leaving you with nothing but fresh nugs.

You will quickly learn how to trim for the spin pro, but once you get the hang of it you wont go back.

Now this is a little to set up, but picture the inside of your barn like a sleeping quarters with bunk beds.

Instead of beds you hang hessian fabric, everything from the spin pro gets spread out and all over the fabric.

Great way to dry them out and not affected by humidity as much.

GusBus

GusBus

I wet trimmed my first garden last year because I had a bunch of aphids (mostly on the sugar leaves and fan leaves) and I didn't want to hang dry them with the bugs. My crop smelled like hay and I was told by many it was because I wet trimmed and dried them inside a shed on dry racks.

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

I wet trimmed last year because I had a bunch of aphids and I didn't want to hang dry them with the bugs. My crop smelled like hay and I was told by many it was because I wet trimmed and dried them inside a shed on dry racks.
Ah ok I've never had that problem.

Insulation plays a part, try seal the shed up best you can and all the best with it amigo.

SmallGuy

SmallGuy

I have an oil heater with a thermostat and a cheap electric one. I don't have space indoors to hang all this. Would a dehum work in a drafty barn during rain?

I've covered the barn sides as best I could with tarps... But its still a barn.
You should trim heavy if you're expecting high humidity, shoot for 50 to 55. The low temps at night will slow things down but not too much, 60 degree weather during the day will get the job done. You may not be able to keep the barn dark but you can Keep great circulation with fans. A real good dehumidifier, nothing cheap would be helpful but may not be needed. Old barns with old hay and straw and old wood all around can make a good desiccant, kind of depends on the old barn, lol. Just did my harvest early october in heavy rains at times. I raise the temp a few times to bring down the humidity. My dry area was the corner of my shop.

GusBus

GusBus

You should trim heavy if you're expecting high humidity, shoot for 50 to 55. The low temps at night will slow things down but not too much, 60 degree weather during the day will get the job done. You may not be able to keep the barn dark but you can Keep great circulation with fans. A real good dehumidifier, nothing cheap would be helpful but may not be needed. Old barns with old hay and straw and old wood all around can make a good desiccant, kind of depends on the old barn, lol. Just did my harvest early october in heavy rains at times. I raise the temp a few times to bring down the humidity. My dry area was the corner of my shop.
Thanks for the reply. So you are saying its sounds like I may be ok. I'll post some videos tomorrow. Its probably too late to trim the leaves now right? They are too limp to be cut with shears I think.

GusBus

GusBus

Weather

SmallGuy

SmallGuy

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying its sounds like I may be ok. I'll post some videos tomorrow. Its probably too late to trim the leaves now right? They are too limp to be cut with shears I think.
Used damprid a few times, works good. I found myself adding humidity a few times. When you don't have the perfect environment to dry you end up dancing with it the 1st few days but that's ok, made me pay attention and I got an excellent dry and just now finishing the cure. Best shit I've ever grown, Alcapulco Gold.

Top Bottom