Outdoor SCROG for stealth, who's done it? (On the cheap)

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

I'm wondering if you couldn't find an old trampoline frame. Could make you a nice sized spread.
That would be cool, but it would take up half my garden... plan on spreading them more this year and having tomatoes, other veggies and herbs in between for maximum blendability. I did 3 together in the middle last year and they were very conspicuous my midsummer, and blatantly obvious come fall. I think I'll try to find a spot for 3 in containers and do a mini scrog over 3 separately in the garden.

TSD

TSD

@Madmax how far above the ground do you put your net, and at what point do you install it... I don't want to do it too soon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Madmax how far above the ground do you put your net, and at what point do you install it... I don't want to do it too soon.
I realize you directed your response to Madmax but when it comes to scrog, how tall do you want the plant to be maximum? In open sun and unrestricted roots, your final plant could be quite large by harvest day. If the container plants are the ones that you're going to use for your scrog, then you have a better handle on their final size. For example, a 5 gallon pot will support up to about 5 ft growth and a 7 gallon pot will support up to about 7 ft of growth. These are loose estimates as some genetics are much more likely to grow big plants than others.

Inside, I start scrogging at about 24" while others might start sooner. When scrogging, I don't think I've ever had an indoor plant with more than 40" of vertical growth for the whole plant (if that much even) considering the whole idea of scrog is to spread things out horizontally. You can tuck/tie/ even bend the stem super-crop style until it buckles to help you weave your branches through the net. You can start scrogging at less than 24" if you are super concerned about keeping it really low profile. Just keep any foliage that hangs down off the ground.

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

I realize you directed your response to Madmax but when it comes to scrog, how tall do you want the plant to be maximum? In open sun and unrestricted roots, your final plant could be quite large by harvest day. If the container plants are the ones that you're going to use for your scrog, then you have a better handle on their final size. For example, a 5 gallon pot will support up to about 5 ft growth and a 7 gallon pot will support up to about 7 ft of growth. These are loose estimates as some genetics are much more likely to grow big plants than others.

Inside, I start scrogging at about 24" while others might start sooner. When scrogging, I don't think I've ever had an indoor plant with more than 40" of vertical growth for the whole plant (if that much even) considering the whole idea of scrog is to spread things out horizontally. You can tuck/tie/ even bend the stem super-crop style until it buckles to help you weave your branches through the net. You can start scrogging at less than 24" if you are super concerned about keeping it really low profile. Just keep any foliage that hangs down off the ground.
I'm not super concerned, they are within a fence, just trying to keep them from turning into conspicuous beasts like they did last year. I put two in the ground today, one in a 7 gallon pot one directly in the ground. Planting the rest tomorrow then I'll update my grow diary. The one in the ground will have room to spread out and I'm going to try and keep it long and low... hopefully it will cooperate with training. I'd be happy growing a forest again, but hubs doesn't share my carefree attitude lol. I just couldn't bring myself to keep them all restricted in pots, had to put at least one in the ground.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm not super concerned, they are within a fence, just trying to keep them from turning into conspicuous beasts like they did last year. I put two in the ground today, one in a 7 gallon pot one directly in the ground. Planting the rest tomorrow then I'll update my grow diary. The one in the ground will have room to spread out and I'm going to try and keep it long and low... hopefully it will cooperate with training. I'd be happy growing a forest again, but hubs doesn't share my carefree attitude lol. I just couldn't bring myself to keep them all restricted in pots, had to put at least one in the ground.
I've got 7 of 8 popped for my greenhouse run. I still have hope that of the remaining 3 seeds, I'll get one more to sprout. Once mine land in the greenhouse, I'll put them in 7 gallon bags which will be buried in the ground. It's too soon to know if I'll need to scrog these. If I do, I'll move an unused net outside and fix it up with a pvc frame.

TSD

TSD

I've got 7 of 8 popped for my greenhouse run. I still have hope that of the remaining 3 seeds, I'll get one more to sprout. Once mine land in the greenhouse, I'll put them in 7 gallon bags which will be buried in the ground. It's too soon to know if I'll need to scrog these. If I do, I'll move an unused net outside and fix it up with a pvc frame.
I'm going to attempt to use the green metal fence posts and green welded wire fence with the 2×3 ish inch openings. I'm sure I'll have to hold it in place with some extra wire, the little nubs don't hold that well, but I'm gonna squish them shut with pliers... it works in my head lol. Figured green netting and posts would blend in better, plus I already have a bit of the fencing. I'll make it work one way or another. The 2 oldest ladies that went in today are 55 days from sprout, so I plan on figuring out my layout and getting the posts in in the next week or so... I just know they're gonna take off like crazy as soon as they settle in.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

None of mine are even a week old yet. These are all "fast flower." They are photo-period plants but will start flowering shortly after I put them in the ground the weekend of June 18th. The Tropicanna Poison should be done first week of September, then Delicious Candy should be done middle of September. I also have 1 GSC "Fast" version that should be done the 1st week of October. The GSC is an experiment to see if it will finish before the cold damp nights of October set in.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I love the idea, especially for places with a long grow season

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm going to attempt to use the green metal fence posts and green welded wire fence with the 2×3 ish inch openings. I'm sure I'll have to hold it in place with some extra wire, the little nubs don't hold that well, but I'm gonna squish them shut with pliers... it works in my head lol. Figured green netting and posts would blend in better, plus I already have a bit of the fencing. I'll make it work one way or another. The 2 oldest ladies that went in today are 55 days from sprout, so I plan on figuring out my layout and getting the posts in in the next week or so... I just know they're gonna take off like crazy as soon as they settle in.
zip ties ... you can tie the fencing down instead of bending the tabs with pliers. (Your hands would likely get sore before you finish if you use pliers.) You can use a pair of flush cutters to cut the tails off the zip ties if you choose.

TSD

TSD

None of mine are even a week old yet. These are all "fast flower." They are photo-period plants but will start flowering shortly after I put them in the ground the weekend of June 18th. The Tropicanna Poison should be done first week of September, then Delicious Candy should be done middle of September. I also have 1 GSC "Fast" version that should be done the 1st week of October. The GSC is an experiment to see if it will finish before the cold damp nights of October set in.
I grew a GSC last year, it was my least favorite of the 6 strains I grew. I guess I just didn't find that it lived up to the hype... cause everyone knows GSC... but I found the flavor and smell a bit lacking, it's better now after an extended cure, but still doesn't stack up to the rest of last year's ladies. The high is fine, nothing spectacular... it will be the first to be sacrificed for edibles once my "butter buds" run out lol. Maybe the version I got of it was just sub par. 🤷‍♀️

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I grew a GSC last year, it was my least favorite of the 6 strains I grew. I guess I just didn't find that it lived up to the hype... cause everyone knows GSC... but I found the flavor and smell a bit lacking, it's better now after an extended cure, but still doesn't stack up to the rest of last year's ladies. The high is fine, nothing spectacular... it will be the first to be sacrificed for edibles once my "butter buds" run out lol. Maybe the version I got of it was just sub par. 🤷‍♀️
It is over-hyped. It's great when done right ... but most of the time it's like you said "just ok." I bought it because it was requested by a buddy of mine and the price wasn't out of this world. This is what I bought: https://northatlanticseed.com/product/girl-scout-cookies-fast/

TSD

TSD

It is over-hyped. It's great when done right ... but most of the time it's like you said "just ok." I bought it because it was requested by a buddy of mine and the price wasn't out of this world. This is what I bought: https://northatlanticseed.com/product/girl-scout-cookies-fast/
I honestly don't remember which breeder made mine, I think I got it via Herbies, possibly Sensei? I know I got some that were by them. It grew well, I even topped it late and made a clone from the top that a buddy grew and made another clone and stuck it in a tub.... mostly just to see if I remembered how to clone lol. Looked pretty, but the end result was just run of the mill weed. I know it's nothing I did to it during dry or cure cause all the other ladies stink to high heaven and taste great.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Nothing against scrogs ... in fact, a scrog is an ideal way to shorten a plant's profile. However, a tree is a tree and will always be more obvious than a bush.

The best way to limit size is to limit root growth. Consider using fabric pots and plant them directly in the ground. A very loose rule of thumb is 5 gallon pot will grow up to about a 5' plant. A 7 gallon pot, up to 7' plant. I would choose a pot size that keeps your plants at a heights comfortable enough to scrog and remain discrete.

Edit: Welded wire fence makes a good outdoor scrog net (coated is better). Look for roughly 3" mesh hole pattern. Treated 2 x 2's make for an easy to build outdoor scrog frame. PVC pipe is another and possibly cheaper option for a scrog frame.
Once the fabric pots is in the ground won't the roots grow rite thru the pot?

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Does anyone have any tried and true methods/materials for an outdoor scrog, preferably on the cheap? Last year I grew trees and they were too obvious, even behind 2 fences. Initially I had them trained and tied down, but we had an awful storm, microburst and shit, that beat them up, split trunks, even uprooted one, I had to untie and repair them... and then they went ham lol. I think this year I may attempt an outdoor scrog. My DIY plan in my stoner head is to use garden fencing, the green coated one with the rectangular openings, and attach it to the metal posts that are for the same purpose, they have little hooks at various heights to hold the fencing.
My questions are; will this be strong enough to subdue vigorous plants? They are in full sun all day and get babied, I always basically have trees. My garden is good soil for about a foot, my holes for the gals are great soil for about 2-3 feet, but beyond that, it's all sand and rocks... I fear they might just push the fence up as they grow. I suppose I could put the stakes in concrete if I have to.... but this is my vegetable garden as well and it gets reconfigured endlessly, so I'd prefer not to have anything permanent.
Are the openings on that fencing the right size? I've never scrogged anything... wait... 🤣
I know you're supposed to manifold and all that jazz to do a proper scrog, but I'm beyond the time for that now, so I'm just going to attempt to grow them horizontally and offer support... maybe even a double layer of fencing, one low to support weight, one high to keep them under control?
I haven't topped yet, wasn't going to this year, but they may get a late haircut now that I have this idea. I have done some LST to expose the lower branches on a few of the ladies and they are growing up nicely, I would like to do the same to my 3 younger ones as well, but I don't have the space or light coverage to really spread them out properly, I think the younger gals will end up in containers, which of course will keep them smaller. I realize I can put them all in containers, but this will be my smoke for the year, so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot too bad.
I have at least 2 more weeks till I put them out, once the cold is for sure over, the ground is warm and the daylight is just over 15 hours... so time to plan and build something if I can get the materials. Any input appreciated!☮️
20220612 173225
20220621 075447
20220621 075415
20220621 075345

Looking good! You may even have to thin out those upright branches.
So the 1st pics are the girls in 3gal smart pots. I was going to put the whole pot & all into the 30gal and decided against it due to the fabric restricting consistent root development.
Irregardless I did what you see with the green plastic cage & 4ft of bamboo.
A larger metal cage will go around the 30gal over the nxt 30 days, and last step is the scrog/trellis on top.
I'll update pics as I go

TSD

TSD

View attachment 1255245View attachment 1255246View attachment 1255247View attachment 1255248

So the 1st pics are the girls in 3gal smart pots. I was going to put the whole pot & all into the 30gal and decided against it due to the fabric restricting consistent root development.
Irregardless I did what you see with the green plastic cage & 4ft of bamboo.
A larger metal cage will go around the 30gal over the nxt 30 days, and last step is the scrog/trellis on top.
I'll update pics as I go
Cool, are they photos? If so, thry might outgrow that tube with stretch... you could also put it around the outside maybe, to make it bigger? Interesting set up, curious to see how it works. I'm going to take pics and update my diary some time this week... still can't decide what height I want my net.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

They are reg "photo's" that's how they cage plants for training and scrog. I'm forcing the stalk to stay low and look a bit like one of those crazy drinking straws.
Little hard to tell at this point tho

shaganja

shaganja

That's a beautiful set up!!
Do you cover them when it's cold or raining?
I'm really thinking of building a bit more like a trellis but deeper/wider.
Not until flower time. Rain doesnt bother during veg, except the slugs. I cover when flower starts and fill the greenhouse with fans. Thnx

Latest posts

Top Bottom