Outdoor scrog screen height and when to place the screen

• Thread starter PurpleLurple
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

First year doing outdoor scrog in raised beds. I have 3 FAST strains in a large 10x3x2 raised bed with a 10x6 screen and another 10x6 screen I can add later if necessary to increase footprint.
1). When should I install the screen? My screen is able to be raised at any time, so does that make the placement time not as critical?

2). How high from base of plant should I make the scrog screen? Again, since I can raise the screen is this not as critical?

Because the base of the plant is 2 feet high (raised bed) I made the scrog legs 4 ft high so screen would be 2 ft above dirt and the screen at 4 feet. Thinking about cutting 6-12 inches off each leg to bring it down lower. Since it’s pvc, I just use couplers to raise them in whatever increments I want with pieces of pvc I have lying around.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

My indoor table stands at 24 inches. The idea is that the table is actually shorter than your limbs. This forces the limbs to lay down and exposes all of your nodes to even light, creating a canopy of all main colas. Since your set up allows you to raise and lower, seems the time would be your choice. I’d like to see what you have built. 🙂

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Here is the screen. Legs go at each corner and middle of each side. I can cut them down or add more length with pvc couplers. I have plastic to go over the whole thing for crappy Michigan weather if needed.
C28AAC6F 05B6 41DA 9BD7 3D8D21175BE8

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Granny is your table 24 inches above surface of grow media?
It sits twenty four inches from the floor up. Growing indoors I like for the plant to be twenty eight to thirty two inches before topping it with the scrog. This way I can lay the limbs out below it. I love your design! Great idea. Please update when you can with pics so I can see it work 🙂

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Here is the screen. Legs go at each corner and middle of each side. I can cut them down or add more length with pvc couplers. I have plastic to go over the whole thing for crappy Michigan weather if needed.View attachment 1254897
Did you design and make this?
I'm in Michigan as well & I'm looking to build
Something 4 rain during flower.
What do you do with your side branches/satellites?
Here's a couple pics of what I'm currently doing. And I will be placing netting over the top in the nxt month or so. I'm training to keep a lower profile!
20220621 075447
20220621 075415
20220621 075345
20220621 075415
20220621 075345

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Did you design and make this?
I'm in Michigan as well & I'm looking to build
Something 4 rain during flower.
What do you do with your side branches/satellites?
Here's a couple pics of what I'm currently doing. And I will be placing netting over the top in the nxt month or so. I'm training to keep a lower profile!View attachment 1256291View attachment 1256293View attachment 1256294View attachment 1256293View attachment 1256294
I have made fence for the outside portion of the pot last night.
I'll snap a kupl shots soon as the sun's not so bright & send those too, if you'd like.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Are you doing 3 plants per raised bed?
1 plant could probly do the same yield or more especially by training and topping.
Consider that, and putting the other ladysin bid cloth pots each 1 being alone.

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Yes, I made that. I have plastic to cover in case of heavy rains. It seems like it will work ok

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

Hey Joe! This is an experiment year. I was originally only going to put one plant in that big tub, but I didn’t know if it would fill the screen—June 1st start, fast finishers. So this year it’s trial by error. Next year readjust. If they start outgrowing the screen, I’ll raise it up and I have the ability to add more screen fairly painlessly. Joe I’m near Port Huron area but very rural

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

The scrog screen is 5.5 ft X 10 that fits over the tanks. I also have one that is 5.5 X 10 that goes over the plants in the smaller tanks in the background

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

I’m just testing scrog. Nobody around me could see trees if I grew them. The bud rot last year with donkey dick colas was impressive (wut? Maybe once!,) but never again. I’ll take more, smaller colas that are less apt to get squishy. I have a feeling that next year will see fewer plants for same yield. It’s a fun way to pass the time for a retired RN. The post below “first time grower in Michigan 2021–I made it to harvest” you can see last years plants.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Hey Joe! This is an experiment year. I was originally only going to put one plant in that big tub, but I didn’t know if it would fill the screen—June 1st start, fast finishers. So this year it’s trial by error. Next year readjust. If they start outgrowing the screen, I’ll raise it up and I have the ability to add more screen fairly painlessly. Joe I’m near Port Huron area but very rural
I'm not very far from you either!
I'm in warren/Detroit.
I found a local guy w clones too
Pm me if ur interested & possibly have space inside to start veggie & training for next year so 1 plant will fill that trough.
Hope you line it with plastic too as I'm concerned about rust for you
Ttys mate

Top Bottom