Overnight Leaf Munchers Annoying Me

• Thread starter Mifarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Last week had something eat almost an entire leaf on one of my plants. Saw some thrips on a few plants. Sprayed neem, and some other fancy all in one insect/fungal blah blah blah. Been checking them several times daily for three days and not a single insect. Wake up today. No insects, but something been dining during the overnight hours. Is it possible its catepillars, worms, slugs, then they either go hide before sunrise or they are getting eaten by birds before I see them. Any solutions? This is crazy so early in the grow to have leaves eaten. Happens in both fabric and plastic planters.
Overnight leaf munchers annoying me
Overnight leaf munchers annoying me 2

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
You would probably see evidence of snails and slugs. Looks like you’re going to have to go out in the middle of the night and try and catch them in the act.

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Last week had something eat almost an entire leaf on one of my plants. Saw some thrips on a few plants. Sprayed neem, and some other fancy all in one insect/fungal blah blah blah. Been checking them several times daily for three days and not a single insect. Wake up today. No insects, but something been dining during the overnight hours. Is it possible its catepillars, worms, slugs, then they either go hide before sunrise or they are getting eaten by birds before I see them. Any solutions? This is crazy so early in the grow to have leaves eaten. Happens in both fabric and plastic planters.
View attachment 1251806View attachment 1251807
Looks like either a caterpillar, or more likely.. a.. duh dun DUNNNN! Tomato worm! I freaking HATEEE tomato worms! Oh and.. I would go and check everyyy singleee leaf, stem, and everything else.. in, on, or around your plant and pot or potted planted area! Reason being is they have one hell of a camouflage technique! And once they start munching.. if they're not there now.. they'll be BACK! And one day you might have the problem I had with my tomato plants back in the day.. walk outside and ALL of your plants leafes.. have been completelyyy devoureddd!
What to do? Put a small bowl full of beer and salt next to your plant. And put a nice ring layer of salt around your plant as well. That'll keep them buggers out.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Looks like either a caterpillar, or more likely.. a.. duh dun DUNNNN! Tomato worm! I freaking HATEEE tomato worms! Oh and.. I would go and check everyyy singleee leaf, stem, and everything else.. in, on, or around your plant and pot or potted planted area! Reason being is they have one hell of a camouflage technique! And once they start munching.. if they're not there now.. they'll be BACK! And one day you might have the problem I had with my tomato plants back in the day.. walk outside and ALL of your plants leafes.. have been completelyyy devoureddd!
What to do? Put a small bowl full of beer and salt next to your plant. And put a nice ring layer of salt around your plant as well. That'll keep them buggers out.
Thanks. So a bowl of beer with salt mixed in with the beer? (IPA, Budweiser, Same Adams?)Can the bowl of beer sit in the fabric bot? Layer of salt in the pot , or around the pot?

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

You would probably see evidence of snails and slugs. Looks like you’re going to have to go out in the middle of the night and try and catch them in the act.
Thats the plan. Never a dull moment in the life of an outdoor grower in Michigan. Peace!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeah, I’m outdoors in Cali. Always found it better to find the source of the problem and then treat it. Instead of just nuking them with everything you’ve got! L O L.And don’t underestimate the value of a good hosing down with water. Might flush the culpris out into the open. Out here where it is dry I do it all the time problem or not. The plants love it! Good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom