Oxyclone, 20 site cloner, 60 cuttings over last couple months zero roots.

• Thread starter FerrinTM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FerrinTM

FerrinTM

I bought this Oxycloner 20 site cloner for 140 bucks at my local hydroponic store.

Brought it home, took it out of the box. Set it all up. Took some cuttings, stuck em in. Rotted within a week.

So I thought, well you idiot you didn't disinfect the damn thing. So I change the water, run bleach through it for a couple days, wash the inserts.

Take some cuttings, and rot again.

So I go full nuclear on the damn thing. I cut holes in one five gallon bucket, filled another with bleach water put the inserts in and squished em down with the bucket that had holes. I bleached the hell out of the pump, the reservoir the tubings, everything.

I bought new gloves, a new surgical scalpel, I wore a goddamned facemask.

I let the system run, let the bleach gas off. Add in a little beneficial bacteria.

This time it took three weeks to turn them to mush.

For something that is supposed to be a miracle, cut and leave it type of machine. I'm 60 cuttings in and bout ready to punch the guy that sold it to me.

For those about to ask, I'm using tap water. No I will not be using RO or distilled water, it will work with tap or it won't work. I didn't buy it, just so I can buy more bullshit. My plants do just fine in DWC in the tap water. It has no Choramime or whatever, I specifically checked.

I did not use a rooting solution or gel, this was supposed to make those not necessary to cut down on long term costs.

I keep my ph between 5.8 and 6.0, and the damn thing likes to crawl up to 7.2.

Im using Pirahna from advanced nutrients as my beneficial bacteria.

Water Temp stays in mid 70s, which is what is recommended by the manufacturer, it got up to 81 one time on a hot day. But that would only account for 20 of 60 clones failing.

Many people are about to suggest I put a timer on my pump to lower the water temp. The reason to have lower water temperature is because oxygenation happens better at lower temps. If you have a 4 inch airstone, and a recirculating pump with an air intake, with beneficial bacteria, it's a moot fucking point. I tried it. It didn't fucking help. Lowered the water to 70ish. Whoo.

So, I'm bout ready to say Oxycloner does not work as advertised.

I've gotten better results from the same tap water, just letting em sit in a glass of fucking water.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Might want to give the rooting solution a shot. Sounds like your doing everything rite. What strains are you cloning?

Give this a shot it should help:)

FerrinTM

FerrinTM

Might want to give the rooting solution a shot. Sounds like your doing everything rite. What strains are you cloning?

Give this a shot it should help:)

Yeah, I'm going to stop by Canadian Tire today and pick up their rooting hormone, its a good deal only 7 bucks.

The Strain is Diesel, I have 6 and a half foot mother that's about a year old. She outgrew her tent, had to hang a light from the ceiling. I'm letting her recover atm, giving her the good nutes, then I'll starve her and try again with hormone.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would stop being so sterile. Rinse the living hell out of it. It takes very little bleach to disinfect a system. If your water supply only has chlorine and no chloramines. Let it sit for 24hrs with an airstone and then ph. Fresh tap water has some dissolved CO2 in it so the ph will rise over the next several hours. After 24 hrs you will have the CO2 and chlorine off gasses. Then ph the water and add cuttings.

Lower your ph to 5.8

If you need to add some baking soda or cal mag to stabilize your ph before lowering it. This will keep it more stable once you lower it

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I always bleach run the pump with the top on 15 minutes then dump bleach water. Fill with fresh water top on pump on another 15 minutes. Dump, fill with fresh water again then run pump with the top off and run till water level gets to the point the pump almost sucks air. Then I’m done cleaning.
Then I fill with RO water add nutrients and ph to 6.0 then I let it run for 24 hrs before placing clones with rooting solution. Works every time.

FerrinTM

FerrinTM

I would stop being so sterile. Rinse the living hell out of it. It takes very little bleach to disinfect a system. If your water supply only has chlorine and no chloramines. Let it sit for 24hrs with an airstone and then ph. Fresh tap water has some dissolved CO2 in it so the ph will rise over the next several hours. After 24 hrs you will have the CO2 and chlorine off gasses. Then ph the water and add cuttings.

Lower your ph to 5.8

If you need to add some baking soda or cal mag to stabilize your ph before lowering it. This will keep it more stable once you lower it
I get this weird black rot fairly easy. I make sure the chlorines out before adding in the beneficials. It's an old building, and we have hot water heat from boilers that leak all over the damn place. Bleach is my friend.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Couple other tips. Make sure mother is healthy before cloning and take clones from the bottom of the plant. Keep the lighting very low use a light meter app and shoot for about 5000 lumen.

When cut put them straight into water immediately. Rooting hormone will help.

FerrinTM

FerrinTM

Couple other tips. Make sure mother is healthy before cloning and take clones from the bottom of the plant. Keep the lighting very low use a light meter app and shoot for about 5000 lumen.

When cut put them straight into water immediately. Rooting hormone will help.
I have been taking them from the top if the only thing I don't do from that.

I been taking from the top, because the damn thing is getting to close to my light. And frankly I can't raise the ceiling. I read about people doing it online, is that much of a difference?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I been taking from the top, because the damn thing is getting to close to my light. And frankly I can't raise the ceiling. I read about people doing it online, is that much of a difference?
I take my cuts from the top all the time for the same reason as you and have very good success both in peat pots and recently in a bubble cloner too, but I have read that bottom cuts root more easily

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They will contain more rooting hormone is the lowest branches. Are your plants in flower?

Do you use a humidity dome?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I take my cuts from the top all the time for the same reason as you and have very good success both in peat pots and recently in a bubble cloner too, but I have read that bottom cuts root more easily
Do you use a rooting hormone?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Agreed with @Aquaman about taking cuttings from the bottom. The top cuts will work, too, but lower cuttings have always rooted better. I wonder about oxygenation of the water. Tap water chlorine has never been an issue for me. Rather than bleach, I'd consider using hydrogen peroxide, as we do in hydro. I wonder if hydroguard might help (beneficial bacteria).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do, I use a powder and more recently clonex gel. I've been using clonex in the bubbler because I've been told it stays on better
Yeah if you take clones from the top and use a rooting compound I would say it's no different (if not better) than taking cuttings from the bottom alone. An added benefit of rooting compound

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
The pump is probally causing to much heat, what’s the water temp? Or you have old diseased clones like me that are a butch to root without fungicides

FerrinTM

FerrinTM

I do, I use a powder and more recently clonex gel. I've been using clonex in the bubbler because I've been told it stays on better
I just picked up the powder today, so just dip it and let it wash off in the resevoir then? I assume it just becomes part of the nute solution and still works after that.

Top Bottom