Patio Grow - Kosher White, Cookie Monster, Trainwreck

• Thread starter ragamufn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ragamufn

ragamufn

[I posted the start of this grow diary in the wrong forum topic, so I’m correcting my foolish newbie mistake by creating one in the proper Grow Diaries section]

Details -

Seeds: Kosher White x 1, Cookie Monster x 2, Trainwreck x 2

Mediums: Roots Organics micro-greens seedling mix, Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil

Containers: 16 oz plastic cup (seedling), 2 gal plastic pots (veg), 3 gal fabric pots (flower)

Nutrients: GO box (for simplicity)

Skill level: Mid-level indoor grower, but novice outdoor grower

Goals: learning the growing season here, having fun trying different methods, figuring out best process for future seasons

This season’s patio grow is a random seed found in some groovy dispensary bud labeled Kosher White, along with two pairs of regular sex seeds each of Cookie Monster and Trainwreck, purchased from Humboldt Seed Company. I have an indoor tent cycle starting in about a week which will be more my focus, but still keen on doing a high quality job with these. Not concerned with biggest yield or fastest growth speed, though...just sipping a cup and having some fun...

On 7/7 @ 6am, the Kosher White seed was dropped in a shot glass of purified water covered by coffee cup for 24 hours, then further germinated between damp towels and paper plates. After 72 hours in plates, gently teased the long taproot out of the paper with tweezers, planted into solo cup with drain holes and filled with RO seedling soil and gravel at bottom for drainage, then slowly watered through.

Seedling spent several days indoors on heat mat without any dome and with sunlight on it through patio doors. Grew a bit stringy at first, but guidance from DemonTrich got the stalk stabilized with some soil addition. After gradual acclimation, it’s now spending days outside and nights indoors. Been cloudy and windy for a few days, so growth isn’t super fast. Gets watered slowly with purified water when soil feels dry by knuckle test...just got watered this evening before pic was taken after bringing it indoors. Been 9.5 days since it went into the cup.

Two regular Cookie Monster seeds were dropped in shot glass on 7/18 @ 7am, but instead of paper plates, were sown directly into RO seedling soil and gravel in solo cups after 24 hours. Reason for process change is that I smelled funkiness with wet paper towels used unsuccessfully on some other seeds, so I’m hoping to retire that method. Seeds have been on the heat mat for 3.5 days at time of pic, with plastic wrap for domes on most of the time (we were oddly out of plastic baggies which I would’ve used instead).

Cookie Monster 1 seed is doing well, even after getting its shell stuck on a cotyledon (thanks to someone not burying the seed deep enough). The translucent film is still stuck on, and a test tug from tweezers showed it’s on tight, so I’m not going to try and remove it. Cookie Monster 2...well, nothing at all yet. Considering that I obviously sowed the other seed shallow, I assume I also did something clumsy with 2 and wrecked it (pH is same in both cups). But I’m leaving it going for a few more days, just in case it’s a late starter.

The seeming failure of CM 2 bummed me out, so decided to try more seeds in the straight-to-soil germination method to make sure it’s still what I want to switch to. So on 5/22 @ 10 am, two Trainwreck seeds were dropped in shot glass and they’re soaking now. I’m going to use a freezer size baggy as a shared dome on these when they go into cups.

Nothing too exciting happening yet, but still figured I’d share what’s in the works under the sun, under the sun...

- ragamufn

Patio grow   kosher white cookie monster trainwreck
Patio grow   kosher white cookie monster trainwreck 2
Patio grow   kosher white cookie monster trainwreck 3
Patio grow   kosher white cookie monster trainwreck 4
ragamufn

ragamufn

Trainwreck 1 & 2 seeds were just removed from water, sown into clear solo cups of RO micro-greens mix, then placed onto heat mat next to Cookie Monster. Freezer size baggy dome fits great over two cups.

Including pics of seed packs as well for verification. Apologies for incorrect months in some dates in original post...wrote it while sampling some extremely well grown Strawberry Banana...

FBB1DA0A 24B9 4F8D 8AB2 7FC5BA47D88C
B51E129A 5803 49DE 8582 FC5418AA1694
ragamufn

ragamufn

Just noticed Kosher White has some purple/red appearing on the leaves that wasn’t there last night. Plant is looking healthy and solid, but I wonder if it’s a nutrient deficiency already, maybe phosphorus. I did water it yesterday evening with purified water so also wondering if that is related. PH of soil was in normal range when I checked after watering last night, but I’ll check again to make sure.

Without knowing the genetics, I’m skeptical it’s the natural colors of the plant...but with the cooler day temps recently (mid 60’s F), I’m hoping that’s actually the case. Seedling has been in the cup for 10 days now.

Just thought I’d reach out and ask for guidance before I do anything to try and fix it (which will likely end up badly). Does this look like a cause for concern? If it is a problem, hopefully it’s an early catch...

Thank you in advance for assistance!

ADB826F1 D679 4AC0 80C5 68822FCFC50E
2B3BAC37 3933 4A4E B97C 864906964E14
K

kansabis

Just noticed Kosher White has some purple/red appearing on the leaves that wasn’t there last night. Plant is looking healthy and solid, but I wonder if it’s a nutrient deficiency already, maybe phosphorus. I did water it yesterday evening with purified water so also wondering if that is related. PH of soil was in normal range when I checked after watering last night, but I’ll check again to make sure.

Without knowing the genetics, I’m skeptical it’s the natural colors of the plant...but with the cooler day temps recently (mid 60’s F), I’m hoping that’s actually the case. Seedling has been in the cup for 10 days now.

Just thought I’d reach out and ask for guidance before I do anything to try and fix it (which will likely end up badly). Does this look like a cause for concern? If it is a problem, hopefully it’s an early catch...

Thank you in advance for assistance!
Just from the cold temps,big doubts it a nutrients deficiency with your soil,cooler temps.csn bring out colors for a few diff reasons. Just keep an eye on it and only worry if it gets real bad,looks fine to me so far.

ragamufn

ragamufn

Right on! Thank you for the advice, kansabis! I’m glad I didn’t do anything about it yet, though I admit I’ve been thinking about it constantly. My normal reaction to unknown plant events is to spaz out and immediately try, usually in vain, to fix things. Glad I held back this time.

I’ll keep a diligent eye on the coloring, but not be quite so paranoid about it unless plant starts looking bad in other ways. It’s still looking perky at the moment, though it clearly wants more sun (patchy clouds all day again).

Thanks again, kansabis!

ragamufn

ragamufn

Both Trainwreck beans popped through the soil last night, but TW #1 had the shell and membrane hooped around the cotyledons, preventing them from opening. I dislike messing with seedlings, but it was still wrapped around by late morning, and I could see the true leaves developing inside the closed cotyledons, so I misted it and gently tweezered the shell ring around and down the stem. TW #1 seems happy now and only slightly behind TW #2.

Kosher White and Cookie Monster #1 both seem to be enjoying themselves. KW has lost all traces of purple, and is holding strong against decent winds the past few days. CM #1 hasn’t been able to go outside yet due to the winds, so it’s got a bit of gangsta lean from following the sun. Perhaps tomorrow will be its day to try the patio. CM #2 was tossed, due to the seed not cracking at all.

C5B71FFA 76B2 4C2D B490 DD160AF304BF
7C18B206 94F4 4901 A889 CA67C7288459
818BC2C6 BDF8 4C94 BCDA 98FB7E72EFA7
8AFC6FBA 5F8B 4807 9C65 F69A43CADABB
Last edited:
ragamufn

ragamufn

Patio experiment is unfortunately over, due to heat and wind challenges. It’s only been mid 70s, with most days sunny and windy, but the patio surface is already radiating too much heat for the roots. The wind is also stronger up there, and a couple days were basically a non-stop hair dryer on the plants. Kosher White developed red stems and drooping leaves, and the other three plants all have wind damaged, twisty leaves.

I know the plants are still really young and sensitive, but I can only imagine how much worse it’ll be for them during the hotter, drier, and even windier summer months coming up, and I’m really not keen on finding out by wasting time, materials, and effort. Just rather focus entirely on my controllable environment.

Thank you very much for the advice, vibes, and support on this patio experiment!

Top Bottom