Peltier thermoelectric cooler chip questions for water chillers. Is one brand better than another?

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

I bought this chiller/warmer about 3-4 weeks ago on ebay for my little 6-7 gal RDWC, in this other thread. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/wise-and-knowledgeable-expert-advise-for-dwc-at-altitude.145565/

So the thing stopped working 1/2 way last week. Half way you ask? It is rated at 180w and was cooling the system great, without any problems. Constant 70*F. Would turn on to cool at 70.5, off at 69.9. Heat would come on at 69.5 and turn off at 70.0. SWEET! until Monday, when I noticed my temp up to 71.1 in the afternoon. Did some trouble shooting. It was still working, but only at 1/2 power. Plugged it into my watt meter and is was only pulling 88.5w, 1/2 power. Turns out this thing has 2 Peltier chip inside and apperantly one of them is dead, so it was running at 1/2 power.

I took the machine apart and it has 2, TES1-12708 peltier chips, readilly available on Amazon. My question is, is any one brand of Peltier better than another? or are they all just mass produced in China as generic and rebranded to whatever name one wants for a Brand name?
I'd like to replace both of the chips, hopefully with something that last for more than 2-3 weeks. I mean, if this HAD been a Peltier chip used to cool an expensive Intel or other processor, and it regularly failed in a few weeks, there would be some really angry gaming geeks out there with fried, overclocked processors. I'm hoping the chiller just used the cheapest Peltier they could find and that I'll be able to up the quality of Peltier? HELP!!!

Peltier thermoelectric cooler chip questions for water chillers is one brand better than anoth

Peltier thermoelectric cooler chip questions for water chillers is one brand better than anoth 2

H

Hellbent60

I bought this chiller/warmer about 3-4 weeks ago on ebay for my little 6-7 gal RDWC, in this other thread. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/wise-and-knowledgeable-expert-advise-for-dwc-at-altitude.145565/

So the thing stopped working 1/2 way last week. Half way you ask? It is rated at 180w and was cooling the system great, without any problems. Constant 70*F. Would turn on to cool at 70.5, off at 69.9. Heat would come on at 69.5 and turn off at 70.0. SWEET! until Monday, when I noticed my temp up to 71.1 in the afternoon. Did some trouble shooting. It was still working, but only at 1/2 power. Plugged it into my watt meter and is was only pulling 88.5w, 1/2 power. Turns out this thing has 2 Peltier chip inside and apperantly one of them is dead, so it was running at 1/2 power.

I took the machine apart and it has 2, TES1-12708 peltier chips, readilly available on Amazon. My question is, is any one brand of Peltier better than another? or are they all just mass produced in China as generic and rebranded to whatever name one wants for a Brand name?
I'd like to replace both of the chips, hopefully with something that last for more than 2-3 weeks. I mean, if this HAD been a Peltier chip used to cool an expensive Intel or other processor, and it regularly failed in a few weeks, there would be some really angry gaming geeks out there with fried, overclocked processors. I'm hoping the chiller just used the cheapest Peltier they could find and that I'll be able to up the quality of Peltier? HELP!!!

View attachment 1341537

View attachment 1341538
WOW you paid $140 for that plus a pump. Buy a used water cooler off kijiji or facebook market place ( $15- $35 ), one that you would normally put a 5 gal jug in the top. Now tear it apart so that you are left with the compressor and the cooling coil. Some of the cooling coils are coated in a protective plastic and some are not. If the one you have doesn't have a protective coating on it just wrap a plastic bag around the coil so you don't get any oxidation in your nutrients. Place the coil directly into your nutrient reservoir. Buy a device that will monitor your water temp. I use the Inkbird ITC-308 ($50). Plug the compressor into the cooling plug on the device and set your water temps. I set my water temp at 67 deg and set the turn on temp at +2 deg (69).

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

Do you think this start over, and do it this way helps him in any way?

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

This is something I’ve been looking at. There seems to be a lot of the same product on EBay and at a manageable price, yet for 3 weeks of stability not realy.
What else can we use that won’t break the bank to keep our media at a stable temp???

H

Hellbent60

This is something I’ve been looking at. There seems to be a lot of the same product on EBay and at a manageable price, yet for 3 weeks of stability not realy.
What else can we use that won’t break the bank to keep our media at a stable temp???
Read my post above.

Top Bottom