People who have erradicated the dreaded spider mite for good please help.

• Thread starter Texian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Texian

That's right, I am now an unfortunate member of the 'I got spider mites' club. Without a doubt, I am 100% sure they hitched a ride on a six pack of what was supposed to be chem dog clones. Since I have always grown from seed, or my own clones, and have taken proper care of my grow areas, I did not have any major pest, thus did not know what to look for, or that I should quarrantine 'outside' plants; now I do.
The infected clones had been in the veg garden/room for about a month before I noticed the infestation. They were given to me unrooted in rockwool, so were not much more then 6 inches or so. After noticing discolored leaf spotting, I looked underneath the leaves and seen them moving around along with alot of white things, eggs.? I immediately took the infected clones out of the garden, permanately! However problem now is, what to do with other healthy teens. I soil drenched and foiler sprayed with Azamax a couple of days ago. I will repeat process a couple more times over the course of a couple of weeks. But is that enough to erradicate them forever? I don't think they reached the flowering room, but as a precaution I plan to bomb, sterilize, and leave flowering room empty for a couple of weeks. With all the once 'you get spider mites you can't get rid of them, only hope to control them' post/threads, is there any hope of a spider mite free grow again? I don't want 'outside' clones anymore. Anyhow, sorry for the long post, wanted to be thorough, thanks to all who reply with advice and or comments.

motta-tokka

motta-tokka

Yes if you treat them properly with azamax... it will be the fatal blow. You SHOULD also foliar spray the undersides as well with a little bit of azamax as a additional measure to disrupt breeding and spreading. Keep the area clean and you will be good.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Forever will be all up to you and your growroom hygiene. Azamax will knock 'em out, but they'll come back when it wears off, if you don't take the proper precautions. Keep your room clean, don't direct-vent outside air into your room without a filter, and quarantine all new cuts/plants you plan to introduce to the garden. Also, the pesky bugs can ride in on YOU, so make sure you don't visit any mite-infested grows or mow your grass and enter your garden. Keep pets out, also. Good luck!

waayne

waayne

Forever will be all up to you and your growroom hygiene. Azamax will knock 'em out, but they'll come back when it wears off, if you don't take the proper precautions. Keep your room clean, don't direct-vent outside air into your room without a filter, and quarantine all new cuts/plants you plan to introduce to the garden. Also, the pesky bugs can ride in on YOU, so make sure you don't visit any mite-infested grows or mow your grass and enter your garden. Keep pets out, also. Good luck!

Word's of wisdom!
:rasta2:

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Azamax works wonders also I spray dr.doom all around the outside of my rooms just in case any of those little bastards are hanging around outside. This also is my first time dealing with them man these things suck

C

croniholic

I have killed them off completely two different times. The first time was 3 years ago and I used only neem oil every three days. I then leave the neem oil on them for 12 hrs then spray with warm water. This help avoid any leaf burn. That way and it's 100% natural. But there are lots of ways to do it. The second time I got mites from some clones from a friend, I got rid of them the same way. That's the last time I bring in outside clones, but sometimes the clones offered sound too good to pass up. Just don't spray the neem on any flowering plants past week 4 or 5.

P

peter tosh

yo azamax plus maybe a fogger and you should be good. the fda i guess has banned the good bug bombs and i assume since its federal its the same all over the country. whatever just get the strongest fogger you can buy and keep it sealed for as long as you can. my local grow shop also recommended to me these bug strip things they sell at lowes. its funny because recently they started selling them for like 2 bucks more at their shop. they are found by the bug control stuff and come in a blue package i forget the name and brand they look like a big glade plug in and you just hang them. i had bad mites and they are completely gone now. good luck!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter

i like this post.

one other thing i can advise is stop bringing clones in period. take all your moms you have now and trash them, but take cuts 1st. it is easier to treat a small plant then a large one. don't keep plants you are not gonna use. if your left with 2-3 strains that are in the cloning stage you will have a chance. move them to a separate area were they can grow. and clean the old mom spot. throw out anything you are not using. even a baseball card collection, move it to the attic. if your are is not clean you will have problems but if you always clean and get rid of stuff you don't need you can win this battle. i have been trading cuts and growing over 2 years in my spot mite free.

T

Texian

motta-tokka: Thanks. I sprayed two days ago and plan on applying 2 more coats with 5 days in between sprayings.
altitudefarmer: Excellent advice! I will have to do a better job with taking the proper precautions. Forever mites is not an option!
waayne: Well said.
croniholic: "clones offered sound too good to pass up" Yea that's how I got the mites. I plan on keeping plants in veg until I nip this thing in the butt.
peter tosh: Fogging up the joint is definately on my agenda. I hear pyrithium foggers is that correct.? I think you may be referring to Hot Shot No Pest Strips.., got 2 of them, one in each tent. Plus I got a yellow and blue sticky trap in each tent.
xX Kid Twist Xx: Me too twist. No more oustide clones sounds about right. I do have any mothers, I cloned from seed and was hoping to select a mother, but I since have decided to grow everything out and stop, sterilize, and start over from seed. Rather be safe then sorry.
What type of solution should I make to properly clean and sterilize everything in the grow areas.? Vinegar/water, bleach/water, or alcohol/water?

Anyways, thank you all for your advice, comments, and words of encouragement. I definately have a more positive outlook now

C

croniholic

The clones, ah the clones. This how everyone seems to get the "borg". I am going to build a isolation chamber or something so I can still trade for clones etc. Good luck to getting rid of them.

T

T1420

HOTSHOTS a insecticidal strip that emits a odorless vapor that will not effect your plants, but kill everything moving. VERY effective, seen it WORK several times for other people. 7 bucks at walmart. lasts over a month. 1500 sf each strip.

true grit

true grit

That the same as No Pest strips? Thats my suggestion...

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I tried the no pest strips and the bugs developed an immunity to the poison (dichlorvos, nasty stuff, read the warnings). They made a web on the strip! they did work well before the bugs got used to it. use it like you would a bomb, don't just leave it hanging in the room with your vent fans on, that's how they get immune to it. put it in a plastic bag for later use when you're done.

Pyrethrum (the bombs) comes in a fogger and a spray. this doesn't kill the eggs, but kills juveniles and adults.

Floramite SC is the best stuff as far as poison, but also the most gnarly. It kills the eggs. the bugs won't eat the plants for a few weeks. use it only in veg.

the bugs can develop an immunity to all of these poisons, so use them in combination with each other.

Neem oil does slow them down a bit but doesn't really kill them, better than nothing.

not much you can do in late flower as far as poison or you'll be consuming poison. the best thing I have found is to gas the room with high levels of CO2, something like a 20lb tank of gas per 400cu ft of grow space does the trick. Leave the house with your pets so you don't die with the bugs. That will knock them back for 1-2 weeks, much more effective if your temperatures are below 80 all the time.

The VERY best thing to do is keep the temperature down below 80, if you can down to low 70's high 60's, all the time to keep the bugs from breeding so damn fast.

I haven't totally gotten rid of them as it has been difficult to control my temps a this grow location, so I'm moving the whole damn thing to a cooler location with better atmospheric control.

Please post more suggestions, mites SUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!! :sick0018:

B

boroboro

I recently contracted my first case of spider mites. In my case there were no outside clones or plants brought in. Almost certainly they hitchhiked in on me, after I visited a grow store, compassion club, friend's house, or something like that.

I don't have a full use report yet, but I've been encouraged to use 'Mite-Rid'. It's recently become available in my area, and a few growers I've talked to swear by it. We'll see.

Mite-Rid.png

T

Texian

croniholic: Your isolation chamber sounds awesome! I have a GrowLab 80 that will be used for that same purpose next time around. Right now it has one chem dog '91 clone that I am hoping to salvage. It was not part of the infected clones batch, but still became infected while sitting next to the bad chems; maybe D, possibly 4.
Aussie, T1420, and true grit: Thanks for the tips. Right now I have one in each tent. I plan on removing them from the tents after today's night cycle; when fan is off and tent is closed for maximum humidity, temperatures between 65-70F. After that I will leave one in the veg room and store the other for a later time. Both tents are in a 10 x 10 room. The flowering chamber, which I hope is not infected, is in a seperate room down a different hallway. But like I mentioned before, as a precaution, once I harvest this weekend, I am going to 'act as if' I have them; bomb, sterilize, and leave empty for a couple of weeks and then repeat process one more time. I will not be moving plants over until I feel they have been erradicated.
Mr.Sputnik: Good stuff! Thanks. I will be picking up an ounce of Floramite later on today from my local hydro store. Should I first continue treatment with Azamax, 3 applications in under 3 weeks, then a few days after that go the Floramite route? Or would it be best to just Floramite them now and then continue Azamax routine? I definately want to avoid immunity build up. Dipping is a great idea, they are small enough to do so relatively easy. I will do this for my next treatment of Azamax. I sprayed the teens, but did dip the one clone I salvaged. CO2 is not an option at the moment, no sealed room.

T

Texian

boroboro: Thanks. I will read up on your suggestion, but in the mean time, please keep me posted on your results. I am determined to take my grow room back, and will use all lethal force neccessary to do so. Death to the borg!

T

Texian

norcal215: Fantastic price! I ordered just minutes after you posted the link. I have heard nothing but positive things about of couple of these products. Thanks a bunch.

purpleberry

purpleberry

The miticed works best, But if you are fully invested in veg, you need to take clones and ditch everything else into the flower room or in the trash and clean your veg room, spray the miticide every 2 weeks 3x, switch to azatrol in flower. And they will be gone.
Ive gotten rid of them no problem with forbid, but ive turned to people on to it and it doesnt work for them because they use perpetual harvest, or dont clean out there veg room of old mothers, ect

T

Texian

Update

So this is what I have done since my first Azamax spraying and soil drenching, 4 days ago.
Removed original infected plants out of the garden permanently.
Dropped central a/c down to 65 degrees. Then I lifted lights up away from canopy to drop canopy temps. I also added a humidifier to bring up the humidity.
2 days after first Azamax application I decided to remove 30-40% of bottom foilage completely. Not only does this allow more air flow underneath the plants, but hopefully will make a dent in the egg population; less eggs that will hatch. While removing foilage, I decided to use a 30X scope to peek in on the action. Good news is I did not see any live bug action. Bad news is I seen lots and lots of eggs, but very little mite poo surprisingly. The infestation is definately worse in the front row of my veg, where the clones sat on the fringe, and on the bottom of the plant.
Ordered floramite sc, avid, and forbid. Thanks norcal215.

Mites 006
Mites 007
Mites 008
Top Bottom