Pest issue; possibly spider mites?

• Thread starter MooseFarts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Hello all,

I’ve been growing my babies outdoors (started indoors moved outdoors on May 24) and they’ve been in the ground ever since. Some plants have shown a few spots usually originating around the centre of the leaves, like where all the fingers converge to the stem, and moving slightly outwards from the stem. At first I figured it’s gotta need some cal-mag as most of the water these plants have been getting is rain water; got a nice sunny few days and fed them some supplemental nutrients (grow formula, root booster/vitamin bs, and cal-mag) and no more spots have shown that I have noticed.

I also recently picked up a cheap digital microscope and figured today I’d take a look at what was actually going on there. Took one finger from a leaf which was showing the symptoms and seen a bunch of TINY white spheres on both the top side and underside of the leaves:

Pest issue possibly spider mites
Pest issue possibly spider mites 2

Pest issue possibly spider mites 3

I haven’t ever had the opportunity to look close up at the leaves like this until now so I’m a little new to whats occuring on the microscopic level. My question is now has anyone seen this before and could confirm that it’s spider mites? Also if it is could they be the culprits of the brown spots showing up?

I was also getting scared that it could’ve been leaf septoria as most of the spots on leaves are very circular (however not really in the one on the first photo). But don’t think it is anymore

Also this leaf was taken right after I sprayed with Neem oil. Only issue is the weather outdoors where I am has been quite rainy lately and I can barely get a solid week or two where I can get a few good Neem oil sprayings in to kill off everything on them. I spray them whenever I get a chance really!

Ina

Ina

No,def not spider mites and spider mite damage.They are really tiny,yes,but you can see them with naked eye,looking like moving dots...I don't think it is leaf septoria but i'm not sure 100% because it could appear when it is rainy.But somehow it doesn't look like it and I had it many times unfortunately:)May be the reason that you mentioned,too much rain water,no calcium and such......

skh

skh

Most likely the sodden ground is preventing the transposition of certain nutes. N is easily washed away and so are many others. When a plant suffers necrosis like that it's a sign that the plant is lacking nutes and is using the stores in its leaves to maintain growth.

The reason it is lacking nutes is the question that needs asking. In this instance, you've had a lot of rain. I'd put my finger on that.

skh

skh

Insect damage is also a possibility. It isn't just spider mites that munch on the good stuff in the leaves. Outdoors there could be a whole of host of critters that come and go.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

No,def not spider mites and spider mite damage.They are really tiny,yes,but you can see them with naked eye,looking like moving dots...I don't think it is leaf septoria but i'm not sure 100% because it could appear when it is rainy.But somehow it doesn't look like it and I had it many times unfortunately:)May be the reason that you mentioned,too much rain water,no calcium and such......

Definitely relieves me a bit hearing someone say its not leaf septoria. Seems as though it could have just been the Ca-Mg deficiency since all are not showing any more of the same symptoms

Most likely the sodden ground is preventing the transposition of certain nutes. N is easily washed away and so are many others. When a plant suffers necrosis like that it's a sign that the plant is lacking nutes and is using the stores in its leaves to maintain growth.

The reason it is lacking nutes is the question that needs asking. In this instance, you've had a lot of rain. I'd put my finger on that.

Thats also what I am thinking; i have one plant in a hole which is on a particular side of a hill which is getting more water than the plants on the other side and one is definitely suffering some necrosis since it gets SO much more water in the hole than all the others. Been getting frequent heavy rainfalls here and the dirt in that hole can just be muck for a few days after a rainfall.

Insect damage is also a possibility. It isn't just spider mites that munch on the good stuff in the leaves. Outdoors there could be a whole of host of critters that come and go.

Oh yeah theres lots of critters around. Even applying neem oil can't keep them away forever either. It definitely helps though. What also helps is I have a huge sage bush here and from time to time ill throw a handful of leaves underneath a plant, the odour keeps the bugs away for a while.

Would you say that the white sphere is most likely an egg of some sort?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Definitely relieves me a bit hearing someone say its not leaf septoria. Seems as though it could have just been the Ca-Mg deficiency since all are not showing any more of the same symptoms

Thats also what I am thinking; i have one plant in a hole which is on a particular side of a hill which is getting more water than the plants on the other side and one is definitely suffering some necrosis since it gets SO much more water in the hole than all the others. Been getting frequent heavy rainfalls here and the dirt in that hole can just be muck for a few days after a rainfall.

Oh yeah theres lots of critters around. Even applying neem oil can't keep them away forever either. It definitely helps though. What also helps is I have a huge sage bush here and from time to time ill throw a handful of leaves underneath a plant, the odour keeps the bugs away for a while.

I would guess it's an egg but never seen one like that. The only real problem I have with bugs outdoors is cabbage moth larva as well as snails and slugs. Had a green worm munching on a leaf a few weeks ago, picked it off and smashed it. Here's the damage.
20190515 105540

Not a big deal and didn't really hurt the plant, but come harvest any green worms I miss will eat and crap on and inside a bud. You don't wanna smoke that.

Reactions: skh
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Brown spot with black ring; I'm not sure it's not septoria? Also I see some type of insect egg and insect damage on your leaf

Ina

Ina

Brown spot with black ring; I'm not sure it's not septoria? Also I see some type of insect egg and insect damage on your leaf
Could be,i am not absolutely sure but septoria looks just like on the clip(the third disease).I will take a look for my own plants that had that thing.Its kinda different than those spots on the pic I think. And the leaf is getting yellow really fast and dies.Spreading fast if you don't take measures.I think it is not but I could be wrong:)If it is soon it will start to look the same way like on the clip,they always look that way.If is not spreading and the leaves stay green between the spots than it is def not this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom