Ph Help

• Thread starter Twisted13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Twisted13

Twisted13

I feel silly asking for help on what seems to be so basic yet here I am. I can not seem to get a correct measurement from my Hanna 98100 PH meter or maybe I just don’t believe my meter? I added like a drop MAYBE 1 mm to a gallon of water. Test the PH and I am getting 4.25 I tried another fresh gallon added around 1 Milimeter and got a 5.25. I then calibrated the meter (again) and opened a fresh bottle of room temp distilled water. Rinsed it with known good clean distilled water put it in the brand new gallon and got a reading of 5. Something. What am I doing wrong here surely a new bottle of distilled would read 7 or very close to it?

707grows

I feel silly asking for help on what seems to be so basic yet here I am. I can not seem to get a correct measurement from my Hanna 98100 PH meter or maybe I just don’t believe my meter? I added like a drop MAYBE 1 mm to a gallon of water. Test the PH and I am getting 4.25 I tried another fresh gallon added around 1 Milimeter and got a 5.25. I then calibrated the meter (again) and opened a fresh bottle of room temp distilled water. Rinsed it with known good clean distilled water put it in the brand new gallon and got a reading of 5. Something. What am I doing wrong here surely a new bottle of distilled would read 7 or very close to it?
Check the pH first. Water reacts with oxygen creating carbonic acid lowering the pH. Distilled water is not guaranteed to be a neutral pH 7.

Twisted13

Twisted13

Check the pH first. Water reacts with oxygen creating carbonic acid lowering the pH. Distilled water is not guaranteed to be a neutral pH 7.

But would it be a 5.2 if it was freshly opened? Seems way too low even if it does mix with the air immediately no?

Dan789

Dan789

Most bottled water is a flat seven, all that I’ve tried that aren’t the high ph types. Watch the YouTube videos on calibrating your meter, it helps. Good luck

Twisted13

Twisted13

Most bottled water is a flat seven, all that I’ve tried that aren’t the high ph types. Watch the YouTube videos on calibrating your meter, it helps. Good luck
Thanks I’ll try again. If not I’m going to take it to the hydro store and ask to check it out. Strips FTW dunno why I tried to get fancy this round. I figured a fancy meter would last longer and give more accurate readings. However, I’m having trouble getting it to show an accurate reading. The weird part is that I have calibrated it and it has worked prior. I don’t think I should have to calibrate every other day. I also store it in the proper fluid to care for the damn thing. Idk where my issue is

Dan789

Dan789

Thanks I’ll try again. If not I’m going to take it to the hydro store and ask to check it out. Strips FTW dunno why I tried to get fancy this round. I figured a fancy meter would last longer and give more accurate readings. However, I’m having trouble getting it to show an accurate reading. The weird part is that I have calibrated it and it has worked prior. I don’t think I should have to calibrate every other day. I also store it in the proper fluid to care for the damn thing. Idk where my issue is
I've had my Hanna HI98128 meter for several years, but did have to buy a new ph probe, probably due to my letting the tip dry. I check the calibration a couple times during the season and if I get any weird readings...

Top Bottom