PH Issue. Runoff PH is way lower than what I water with

• Thread starter JohnnyGrow309
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyGrow309

So I watered the other day until runoff to see my runoff PPM and ph. The PPM was 1800ppm and 5.4 ph. I have never watered with higher than 1300ppm and my ph is always 6-7ph.

What could be the reason for this? Using soil. Sunshine Mix #4.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

So I watered the other day until runoff to see my runoff PPM and ph. The PPM was 1800ppm and 5.4 ph. I have never watered with higher than 1300ppm and my ph is always 6-7ph.

Are you using ph up or down? Are you phing the nutrient solution?

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yes, as I said my ph is always 6-7. Typically between 6.2-6.8. I've never had water past or below this range
You shouldn't need to ph your water in an organic soil grow. Organic soil has natural ph buffers in it to keep things in check. I run an organic soil and i dont even check my water anymore. Last time i did it was like 7.8-8.1 and i havent had any issues yet.

J

JohnnyGrow309

You shouldn't need to ph your water in an organic soil grow. Organic soil has natural ph buffers in it to keep things in check. I run an organic soil and i dont even check my water anymore. Last time i did it was like 7.8-8.1 and i havent had any issues yet.
By organic soil you mean what? I use sunshine mix #4.

7.8-8.1ph? And no problems? What soil are you using?

I have one plant that I've been using just well water, no nutrients at all. My well water is 300-400ppm and 7.3ph. It's one of my best plants lol

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

By organic soil you mean what? I use sunshine mix #4.

7.8-8.1ph? And no problems? What soil are you using?

I have one plant that I've been using just well water, no nutrients at all. My well water is 300-400ppm and 7.3ph. It's one of my best plants lol
By organic i mean the sunshine #4 you are using. Its organic. No need to ph, thats why your well watered unph'd plant is the best one. Its a common mistake, i did the same thing my first run 4 years ago.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I use SS#4. It's not soil. It's peat. Commonly known as soil-less media. Like coco, but different.

The runoff PPM is higher than input PPM because your plants aren't consuming the nutes efficiently. A simple solution is to flush with low ppm water until the runoff is 600ppm or so.

The 5.4pH runoff could be due to different things or a combo. Bacterial acidification. Too much ammonium and not enough nitrate in the nutes. What are you using for nutes?

Peat doesn't have nutes like soil. Nutes get added to every watering.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I use SS#4. It's not soil. It's peat. Commonly known as soil-less media. Like coco, but different.

The runoff PPM is higher than input PPM because your plants aren't consuming the nutes efficiently. A simple solution is to flush with low ppm water until the runoff is 600ppm or so.

The 5.4pH runoff could be due to different things or a combo. Bacterial acidification. Too much ammonium and not enough nitrate in the nutes. What are you using for nutes?

Peat doesn't have nutes like soil. Nutes get added to every watering.
Ahhh i was under the impression ss4 was organic soil. I need to read more. This is the 6th time in 2 days ive not read through everything 🤦🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Top Bottom