PH problem, any advice would be appreciated

• Thread starter OakvilleOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OakvilleOG

Growing OGKZ in deep water culture single tote system. 40 L tap water, no access to RO. Started with Current Culture veg A & B, didn’t like the results. In week 4 of veg, switched back to Remo.... ppm is 700-800. PH is 6.2 (started @ 5.7) water temp is 68 degrees. UC roots to maintain clean solution.
Platinum LED 600 watt light, excellent ventilation and air exchange
Roots are Snow White and massive, healthy. Switch the water solution weekly and religiously.

Everything looks bang on.

Here in is the problem. As I check the Ph daily in 12 hours the Ph will drop from 6.2 to 5.7.

The plants look extremely healthy and green, leaves are standing up and vigorous, good lateral growth and thick main stem.

I understand PH fluctuations but as the plants drink the PH generally should be rising, but mine is dropping.

Some say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but am trying to understand this situation

ANY HELP would be appreciated

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Growing OGKZ in deep water culture single tote system. 40 L tap water, no access to RO. Started with Current Culture veg A & B, didn’t like the results. In week 4 of veg, switched back to Remo.... ppm is 700-800. PH is 6.2 (started @ 5.7) water temp is 68 degrees. UC roots to maintain clean solution.
Roots are Snow White and massive, healthy. Switch the water solution weekly and religiously.

Here in is the problem. As I check the Ph daily in 12 hours the Ph will drop from 6.2 to 5.7.

The plants look extremely healthy and green, leaves are standing up and vigorous, good lateral growth and thick main stem.

I understand PH fluctuations but as the plants drink the PH generally should be rising, but mine is dropping.

Some say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but am trying to understand this situation

are you adding potassium bicarbonate for your ph up?
im asking from a outdoor hydro run from this past summer,the bicarb put my ph in check with the heats and swings

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

My system does this. In my case, the water evaporates or gets transpired faster than the plants use nutes, so the solution concentrates...my fix? I'm just working with the swing. I got tired of fighting it. I figure in nature, it changes with every rain...I adjust up to 6.5 when I feed, and it takes a few days for it to drop again...I never go below 5.7 or so...I also read somewhere that different micronutes become available at different pH levels, so I'll just go with that...
Good luck!!

FourthCity

FourthCity

That swing can be due to a number different things that the plant can be unhappy with. Assuming the plants and roots are all looking healthy and this is later in the grow then I believe residuals from the ph down can accumulate and cause this problem. Plants need the correct ph to absorb various nutrients but I don't think they absorb the acid at the same rate, this causes the ratio of ph down/water to increase which in turn makes the ph drop. Imagine you have a milkshake with a cherry and unlimited refills, you dont like the cherry so you always just drink the shake but every time you get a refill another cherry gets dropped in the cup, eventually the cup will be full of cherries.

Top Bottom