PH to high in Runoff ( coco )

• Thread starter NND
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NND

NND

Hello im having trouble with the ph, i think my plants are having nutrient deficiency related to the ph being to high in my rootzone i was usually watering with PH 6.3 and TDS of 900ppm.
My medium is 50%coco 30%perlite 20%wormcastings.

Temp and RH
Lights on is 27C 60-70%RH
Lights off is 21C 60-70%RH

Then i noticed the deficiency so i testet my runoff.
I watered with ph5.9 and 900ppm the runoff was 6.6 and 1900ppm.

In order to lower both PH and PPM i stardet to water with lower PH and no nutes.

I watered 3 times since then here are the outcommes :

1. input: ph5.8 200ppm runoff: ph6.8 1800ppm
  2. input: ph5.5 200ppm runoff: ph6.9 1000ppm
  3. input: ph5.1 200ppm runoff: ph7.0 1800ppm
So as you can see its really weird no matter how much i lower the input ph the runoff ph still raises.
Has anyone ever seen that or even heard of it ?
I dont really know what to do.
Thanks, Happy Growing 🙂

Some pictures:

Ph to high in runoff  coco
Ph to high in runoff  coco 2
Ph to high in runoff  coco 3
mikeross

mikeross

Do not bother with run off pH in coir as it doesn't really give a good indication of whats going off due to the way the cation exchange works and due to way roots will change their immediate surroundings pH, run off E.C is a much better measurement to go by.

Assuming you're using good coir that is washed and buffered properly, and you can keep your trays/sponges or whatever clean of residual salts, then your run off E.C can give you an indication of whether you are over/underfeeding and/or whether you are irrigating enough or building salt.

If you want to "reset" your plants I would water with the EC and PH you want your plants fed with and keep running this mix through the pot until the same EC going in is the same coming out.

IMO don't measure your PH runoff in coco, do a slurry test if you want to chase your tail around.

NND

NND

Do not bother with run off pH in coir as it doesn't really give a good indication of whats going off due to the way the cation exchange works and due to way roots will change their immediate surroundings pH, run off E.C is a much better measurement to go by.

Assuming you're using good coir that is washed and buffered properly, and you can keep your trays/sponges or whatever clean of residual salts, then your run off E.C can give you an indication of whether you are over/underfeeding and/or whether you are irrigating enough or building salt.

If you want to "reset" your plants I would water with the EC and PH you want your plants fed with and keep running this mix through the pot until the same EC going in is the same coming out.

IMO don't measure your PH runoff in coco, do a slurry test if you want to chase your tail around.
I stardet them in very bad coir as soon as i realized that i transplantet into high quality coir which i mixed with 20%wormcastings and perlite.
Because of the bad coir i had a calmag deficiency right from the beginning when i tried to fix it i probably over fertilized them and as a result from that i think i might have had a nutrient Lockout.
I tried to fix that with the 3 low PPM waterings mentioned above, i then realized that the nutrient lockout also may be caused because i didn’t water enough. ( i was only watering every other or every 3rd day, also without much runoff)
I then stardet to water daily with 600-700 ppm and ph 5.6, also with about 15% runoff.
I feel like the plants are recovering better now, the new growth starts do be darker in color (it used to be quite yellow)

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Hello im having trouble with the ph, i think my plants are having nutrient deficiency related to the ph being to high in my rootzone i was usually watering with PH 6.3 and TDS of 900ppm.
My medium is 50%coco 30%perlite 20%wormcastings.

Temp and RH
Lights on is 27C 60-70%RH
Lights off is 21C 60-70%RH

Then i noticed the deficiency so i testet my runoff.
I watered with ph5.9 and 900ppm the runoff was 6.6 and 1900ppm.

In order to lower both PH and PPM i stardet to water with lower PH and no nutes.

I watered 3 times since then here are the outcommes :

1. input: ph5.8 200ppm runoff: ph6.8 1800ppm
  2. input: ph5.5 200ppm runoff: ph6.9 1000ppm
  3. input: ph5.1 200ppm runoff: ph7.0 1800ppm
So as you can see its really weird no matter how much i lower the input ph the runoff ph still raises.
Has anyone ever seen that or even heard of it ?
I dont really know what to do.
Thanks, Happy Growing 🙂

Some pictures:

hi just incase your still around, I’m pretty sure you’re pH is way to high.

This is what Bruce Bugbee(~guy nasa hired to grow trees for them), studies cannabis at Utah university, says regarding pH of watering and runoff pH. It applies to all growing mediums he states.

C3DE9CE8 F78D 47E7 A148 8D3E859C67D0

hope it helps if you haven’t got it sorted already.

Top Bottom