Ph Up

• Thread starter breedwheel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
breedwheel

breedwheel

In a bind and need ph up. Wal Mart has Alaska brand on the shelf but it’s 0-0-47. What’s up with the potash? Am confused. G

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
In a bind and need ph up. Wal Mart has Alaska brand on the shelf but it’s 0-0-47. What’s up with the potash? Am confused. G
it is derived from potassium bicarbonate, so it's basically baking soda, which is an alkaline, thus will raise your pH.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
btw yes your ppm will go up, not sure of any way to raise pH without also raising ppm.

breedwheel

breedwheel

btw yes your ppm will go up, not sure of any way to raise pH without also raising ppm.
I figured as much about ppm's. Went ahead and picked up a bottle going to see what it does ppm's with just plain tap but I am at the point I have to do something. Thanks

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I use potassium silicate as it’s benificial anyways and you only need a few drops to raise ph quite a bit

W

wintermute

Potash solution from the following: potassium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or potassium silicate. Mix in water, season to taste.

I mix 200 gallons at a time of nutes with high ppm, so about a half pound of potassium carbonate per quart of water gives me a potent pH up solution, shake well.

breedwheel

breedwheel

Looks like its baking soda for me until my stuff gets here. Thanks all for the help. Trying to stay away from additives but read up on potassium silicate and it sounds like something that would be beneficial for me to use because I have a lot of unwanted temp fluctuations I can't control

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Wood ashes work great for raising Ph, and usually has micronutrients and everything else except Nitrogen. Mixed in soil, it can help to buffer it...mixed with water, it makes an alkaline solution. Lye is made by running water thru ashes, so be careful not to make it too strong. I'd start with a tablespoon or two per gallon of water.

chemistry

chemistry

Wood ashes work great for raising Ph, and usually has micronutrients and everything else except Nitrogen. Mixed in soil, it can help to buffer it...mixed with water, it makes an alkaline solution. Lye is made by running water thru ashes, so be careful not to make it too strong. I'd start with a tablespoon or two per gallon of water.

Potash.

W

wintermute

wood ash is the source! "pot" is short for "potash" as I understand it...

Top Bottom