PH what's the big deal? In soil

• Thread starter matamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
matamus

matamus

As the title says whats the big deal with pH in soil. I am not knocking any ways or methods, and am always open to ideas, and new ways. My one big question is I always hear so much about pH, and such. I have never once measured my pH of my water, ever nor, have I ever measured the run-off from them when I water. I do not live in town and are on well water. I am still a noob and will probably always consider myself that no matter, no one will ever know everything. I have had my share of problems with my girls, but never once did I measure my pH. Is this mainly a problem for "city folk" because they are using city water. When I water I always give plenty of water quite excessive amount to each plant, my soil mix I use drains very well. I was contemplating buying a meter, but see no need.

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings matamus

First, if you will permit, some advice on etiquette:
On a forum you are not owed a response.

The lack of respondents is due completely to the content and nature of your post. It appears as if you've made your mind up regarding pH and if that's the case, why should anyone bother to chart you a different course?

There also appears to be a strong element of false humility to your character as evidenced by your first post and strongly corroborated by your second. In civil discourse checking one's ego is the gentlemanly thing to do.

Your post was not a query...it was a challenge.

I digress....

If your desire is to obtain maximum potential from your garden...then it behooves you to be certain of what's going in it.

On the other hand, many successful cultivators pay absolutely no heed to pH. You may be one of them.

Sincerely,
Charles.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Charles hit the nail on the head about the forum manners bro>>>just need a lil patience and what not:)

Lucky to have the water supply that you have bud>>>Curious how it would react to hydro grown vs soil
gtd

forknowledge

forknowledge

Greetings matamus

The lack of respondents is due completely to the content and nature of your post. It appears as if you've made your mind up regarding pH and if that's the case, why should anyone bother to chart you a different course?

There also appears to be a strong element of false humility to your character as evidenced by your first post and strongly corroborated by your second. In civil discourse checking one's ego is the gentlemanly thing to do.

I digress....

If your desire is to obtain maximum potential from your garden...then it behooves you to be certain of what's going in it.

On the other hand, many successful cultivators pay absolutely no heed to pH. You may be one of them.

Sincerely,
Charles.

you sound very much like a scholar I know of :thinking

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Very well spoken Charles!

@Matamus

Nutrient uptake occurs at different ph levels. You say you have had your share of problems in the past. Perhaps its because you are getting a lockout because of your ph levels. Perhaps not.

Personally I think the investment of a RO, PH meter, and TDS meter is well worth the money. Hell you can get cheap ones on ebay for less than 30 bucks. Regardless of where my water is coming from, in my eyes its better to start off with something "Pure" and then add what my girls need.

J

Jimson

matamus - I logged in today to ask about a ph problem and zeroed-in on your query.

I have an answer for you - re: using a ph-meter:

My 2nd import car was a mid-70's Opel. It had gauges that were brand new to me. Namely, a battery voltage meter and an oil temperature gauge. Of course, the gauges were analog back then but (for instance) the max water temp is a number not a marker. Now - imagine you're a kid driving around Wisconsin (very hot & extremely cold) who for the very first time has accurate information on everything from how well the generator is working to knowing when to add more oil to the engine by the oil pressure. Suddenly driving becomes an exercise in monitoring the gauges.

The point of all that chaff is to say this - being able to measure multiple points in your system allows you learn the effects of a change in any one of those measures and moreover learn which measures you want to use as your own standard.

BUT - I bet I am not the only one who has that little kid inside who cannot keep his eyes off the gauges. I even know that I want to collect watering H2O after I shower, that way the ph is neutral - otherwise it's 7.8 to 8.2.

I cannot speak for hydro but I have learned from experience that you can grow anywhere from ph-5.2 to ph-8.0 and you will still get Some buds! But, somewhere between those two extremes is the ideal point that will give you the best yield & product. And once you find it - you'll want to repeat it.

true grit

true grit

Look at ph uptake ranges for most nutrients in soil....you'll see most are in the mid 6 range for good uptake. I have ph'd in soil anywhere from 5.5-7.2, the higher being for use in Sub's super soil. I have settled around 6.5 right now for the plants I'm feeding with Roots Organics and stay in a range of 6.20-6.6. Plants seem to be reacting fine, i just need to up my humidity to really see full benefits. Talked to Subcool bout ph issues and what not i had with his supersoil and if ph/ro was a big deal and what was ideal to check- in a nut shell he said he and some friends ran a long term comparison of ph'ing vs. not an using tap and his conclusion was that there was no obvious difference and said he waters his SS with tap water that is around 7 and just runs with it and has no issues. I could believe it, with the extra cal in tap water in the ideal uptake range....might make a difference over RO.

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings matamus

Ah...There, you see?

THANKS for the opinions!!!!...matamus

I'm certain you're very welcome.

Sincerely,
Charles.

p.s. A special thank you to my fellow farmers for your recognition and/or stellar contribution to this thread...together, let us continue to raise the bar higher!

One community, one heart....we're only as strong as our weakest member...together, we can make even our weakest, a force to be reckoned with!

C.X.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Greetings matamus

Ah...There, you see?

I'm certain you're very welcome.

Sincerely,
Charles.

p.s. A special thank you to my fellow farmers for your recognition and/or stellar contribution to this thread...together, let us continue to raise the bar higher!

One community, one heart....we're only as strong as our weakest member...together, we can make even our weakest, a force to be reckoned with!

C.X.

I knew I joined this site for a reason! What an impressive attitude to have Charles!:D

matamus

matamus

Greetings matamus

I digress....

Sincerely,
Charles.
yea,
I can sometimes tend to get impatient just slap me up a bit if i am hahaha, thanks for the criticism and etiquette training. I really wanna buy a meter just cause im curious , I have only once had what I believed to be a pH problem, but remidies by just flushing like 4-5X what the container held in medium with plain old well water, I do know for a fact that we have a bit of cal in our water, but have yet to run into a problem. Anyone point me in the direction of a good pH pen.

A

alexander

Hanna p.h. meter i think is like $60 buck's! Get it with storage solution and some calibrating solution! should be around $100.

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings matamus

Well responded. I for one greatly appreciated your measured response and your reception of criticism was exemplary; kudos and thanks.

A suggestion: Since soil is your medium of choice, why not use a manual/chemical pH indicator (pH test kit for aquariums)? The readings would be accurate enough to offer a guideline and the outlay of cash should be minimal. Just be certain that the pH range the kit measures is compatible.

Sincerely,
Charles.

Onespark

Onespark

yea,
I can sometimes tend to get impatient just slap me up a bit if i am hahaha, thanks for the criticism and etiquette training.

:character0180: Nice one bro. Never stop growing! (pun intended)

true grit

true grit

Hanna p.h. meter i think is like $60 buck's! Get it with storage solution and some calibrating solution! should be around $100.

Rocked the Hanna meter, switched to the Oakton and most def prefer the Oakton. Way faster calibration, stores in tap, and in spot on.

matamus

matamus

i have pool pH tester one of the manual one's, didn't know you could use them. but I guess if you want a general pH then one of those would do to give you that, but if I wanted a specific I would probably have to go with a digital meter correct?

true grit

true grit

Yeah, your best bet is to pick up a decent digital meter. You can get the Oakton ph only tester for like $50-$60 I think. They have two, one that goes to the tenths and one that goes to the hundredths. I prefer the one that goes to the hundredths, but they are honestly both so close once calibrated doubt it matters. The Hanna was $140 but had EC/PPM....just gonna scoop up a Blue Lab for the PPM/EC readings fwiw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom