Phlizon 600W LED approx 1.5meters over my 1 month old, should i move lights closer?

• Thread starter randyplotner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
randyplotner

randyplotner

organic soil grow. Growth is healthy but seems a little slow; could be the strain and the medium. I'm planning to flower early this time but want to maximize veg growth mean time, just want an opinion about light proximity, thanks.

NorGrower

NorGrower

Hey there.

Are you referring to this lamp?
https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Thermometer-Humidity-Adjustable-Spectrum/dp/B0752CL6KJ

My experience with Phlizon is that their promotional images and PPFD maps aren't always reliable. Anyway, assuming that their numbers are correct, we should use the material they provide to determine the distance between lamp and plant.

4 weeks into the grow you should be towards the end of veg, right?
In the Amazon listing, we find this image: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BflvzGKoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg ...
... which shows the PPFD values in µmol/m2/s. A simpler term for this would be light intensity. Your plant will want around PPFD 400 µmol/m2/s toward end of veg and 600-700 during flowering.

The image above shows that the lamp delivers PPFD 350 µmol/m2/s at 18" height in the center spot below the lamp. The map, sadly, doesn't show how the light spreads or how the PPFD values are off-center. Usually, the intensity (PPFD) declines very quickly off-center. Still, the image offers some guidance. I'd position the lamp around 16" (40 cm if you're EU) from the canopy. Furthermore, I'd move the lamp about an inch closer every other day (or leave the lamp as it is and let your plant grow towards it) until you see small signs of light bleach/tip burn, then you know you've gone a bit too close and have to revert back slightly.

As your plant matures and reach mid/late flowering, aim for PPFD 600-700 µmol/m2/s, which should be achieved at around 8-10", based on their PPFD map. Keep in mind that the closer your lamp is to your plant(s) the smaller the lamp's light footprint will become, i..e the coverage area shrinks as you move the lamp closer to the plant(s). I wouldn't count on this lamp properly illuminating more than one small plant.

In short: yes, move your lamp closer to your plants! It should be at around 40 cm above your plants in late veg.

Anthem

Anthem

Hey there.

Are you referring to this lamp?
https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Thermometer-Humidity-Adjustable-Spectrum/dp/B0752CL6KJ

My experience with Phlizon is that their promotional images and PPFD maps aren't always reliable. Anyway, assuming that their numbers are correct, we should use the material they provide to determine the distance between lamp and plant.

4 weeks into the grow you should be towards the end of veg, right?
In the Amazon listing, we find this image: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BflvzGKoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg ...
... which shows the PPFD values in µmol/m2/s. A simpler term for this would be light intensity. Your plant will want around PPFD 400 µmol/m2/s toward end of veg and 600-700 during flowering.

The image above shows that the lamp delivers PPFD 350 µmol/m2/s at 18" height in the center spot below the lamp. The map, sadly, doesn't show how the light spreads or how the PPFD values are off-center. Usually, the intensity (PPFD) declines very quickly off-center. Still, the image offers some guidance. I'd position the lamp around 16" (40 cm if you're EU) from the canopy. Furthermore, I'd move the lamp about an inch closer every other day (or leave the lamp as it is and let your plant grow towards it) until you see small signs of light bleach/tip burn, then you know you've gone a bit too close and have to revert back slightly.

As your plant matures and reach mid/late flowering, aim for PPFD 600-700 µmol/m2/s, which should be achieved at around 8-10", based on their PPFD map. Keep in mind that the closer your lamp is to your plant(s) the smaller the lamp's light footprint will become, i..e the coverage area shrinks as you move the lamp closer to the plant(s). I wouldn't count on this lamp properly illuminating more than one small plant.

In short: yes, move your lamp closer to your plants! It should be at around 40 cm above your plants in late veg.
600 tp 700 PPFD lets get some real lights and grow 1700 works better.

NorGrower

NorGrower

The more light, the better :). But without added CO2 and all other aspects of the grow space perfected, it's not really worth pushing the PPFD past 700-800. Light saturation point happens around PPFD 500 and after 800 it decreases a lot.

Top Bottom