photo light period question :) 12/12 can it be turned back to longer light.?

• Thread starter Craycrayracing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Craycrayracing

Craycrayracing

If somebody has a photo flower seed and they switch to 12/12 like they are supposed to to force it into flower my question is once it flowers can you change the timing back to longer light days or does it have to stay at 12/12 until Harvest?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

If somebody has a photo flower seed and they switch to 12/12 like they are supposed to to force it into flower my question is once it flowers can you change the timing back to longer light days or does it have to stay at 12/12 until Harvest?
Yeah I mean once you do a full 12/12 flip then your all in. Really no going back it will likely fuck shit up. Now at the very end after you have harvested your flowers then you can try to do a re-veg in order to try to save the strain. But that can take months and is hit or miss a lot of the time but it can be done.

Craycrayracing

Craycrayracing

Yeah I mean once you do a full 12/12 flip then your all in. Really no going back it will likely fuck shit up. Now at the very end after you have harvested your flowers then you can try to do a re-veg in order to try to save the strain. But that can take months and is hit or miss a lot of the time but it can be done.
That's not exactly what I'm asking :-) thank you that's a lot of info but what I'm asking is flipping it to 12/12 initiates the flower cycle. But my question is once it's in flower why would it matter to go to 18-hour light?

Craycrayracing

Craycrayracing

Okay so basically all photo. Flowers have to remain at 12:12 until Harvest whereas with a Autoflower it can stay at 18 and 6 the whole time through? Is that about right

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Okay so basically all photo. Flowers have to remain at 12:12 until Harvest whereas with a Autoflower it can stay at 18 and 6 the whole time through? Is that about right
Yes you are correct. Regular photoperiod strains need 12 hours of light or less in order to finish flowering. Once a plant has entered its flowering stage if you start increasing your light hours it will risk sending the plant into re-veg. Re-vegging during flower is bad because new growth shoots will start growing out of your flowers and they will get all loose and spindly. Ve-vegging will turn your weed into swag it will fuck everything up. Auto-flowers on the other hand will finish their flower cycle regardless of the light hours. However with auto-flowers the same type of issues can occur but in reverse. What I mean by this is auto-flowers require a lot more light. The recommended light cycle for autos is 18/6 and it is not recommended to go much lower than this. For autos not enough hours of light can cause fox-tailing and your nugs will lack density and once again be all spindly.

cottageman

cottageman

Yes a regular photo needs at least 12 hours of darkness per day to initiate flowering. Anything less and they will start reverting back to veg

Dino70

Dino70

That's not exactly what I'm asking :-) thank you that's a lot of info but what I'm asking is flipping it to 12/12 initiates the flower cycle. But my question is once it's in flower why would it matter to go to 18-hour light?
If once you went to 12 then went back to 18/6 then your going back to veg cycle.

A

anu

Yes you are correct. Regular photoperiod strains need 12 hours of light or less in order to finish flowering. Once a plant has entered its flowering stage if you start increasing your light hours it will risk sending the plant into re-veg. Re-vegging during flower is bad because new growth shoots will start growing out of your flowers and they will get all loose and spindly. Ve-vegging will turn your weed into swag it will fuck everything up. Auto-flowers on the other hand will finish their flower cycle regardless of the light hours. However with auto-flowers the same type of issues can occur but in reverse. What I mean by this is auto-flowers require a lot more light. The recommended light cycle for autos is 18/6 and it is not recommended to go much lower than this. For autos not enough hours of light can cause fox-tailing and your nugs will lack density and once again be all spindly.
Does this also apply to auto flowers that need to be forced into flower for some reason?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Does this also apply to auto flowers that need to be forced into flower for some reason?
Yes, I have an autoflower that didn’t auto. Some don’t auto flower, hence are actually a photo, I have one right now actually the one to the right side, never flowered so I just topped it and I’ll bush it out for a scrog, also autos can run any light schedule from 12/12 to 24/0 i flowered under 24/0 on my last run with autos

Also clones off of a flowering plant are called monstercropping, I have 4 clones that have been reverted back to 18/16 to re-veg, lower survival rate over normal veg clones this is where they are at after about 35 days started with 9, 4 survived and I’m more than happy with that lol the growth is all funky in monstercropped clones at the beginning, it eventually normalizes

541C4853 2900 41E8 95A8 4AA9F38DEEF7
DC9AB38D 820F 4F49 83F1 028B667A7AFC
F5F0F7A7 7441 4F19 9A91 3AE7059AAE03
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Understanding The Basics​

Phytochrome is a pigment that is found within the leaves of all plants, as well as cannabis. The role of this pigment is to detect light to then allow the plant to grow accordingly based on the season or time to induce flower production. When light hits the surface of a leaf, there will be two types of light sensors at work: one which has the job of detecting blue light and one for detecting red light.

The one designed to sense red light is the phytochrome system.

Ultimately, the sensors will know when there are darkness periods or periods of shading that the plant can recognize as biological signals.

Once the plant get 12h+ dark the phytochrome system induce the production of florigen hormone that trigger flowering. if you switch back to less than12h of night the florigen hormone is no longer released and the plant will reveg if a photoperiod

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Doesn’t have to strictly be 12hours either

You could veg 20-24hours on then reduce to 14hours on and they could flower
Actually many plants will flower at 14 hrs light/10 hrs dark. When growing outside, people see their plants start flowering in early/mid August. In Michigan that is approximately 14 hrs of light +/- a few minutes. Indoors, a few runs back I ran 13 hrs light/11 hrs dark. Plants flowered just fine. I was hoping the extra hour of light would boost my yield slightly. In my not so scientific study it didn't seem to make much of a difference. However, the real flowering cusp for most plants is closer to 14 hrs. Some strains like equatorial sativas are not likely to flower until light cycle is close to 12/12 though.

TSD

TSD

Actually many plants will flower at 14 hrs light/10 hrs dark. When growing outside, people see their plants start flowering in early/mid August. In Michigan that is approximately 14 hrs of light +/- a few minutes. Indoors, a few runs back I ran 13 hrs light/11 hrs dark. Plants flowered just fine. I was hoping the extra hour of light would boost my yield slightly. In my not so scientific study it didn't seem to make much of a difference. However, the real flowering cusp for most plants is closer to 14 hrs. Some strains like equatorial sativas are not likely to flower until light cycle is close to 12/12 though.
Yes many of my gals started flowering in early to mid August, when there's slightly more than 13 hours of light. This pic was taken August 19, and it had started showing signs of preflower a week or more before this. It's really dependent on genetics, they're all different, so doing any kind of random light schedule is always a bit of a gamble.
20220819 185508

Top Bottom