Pistils are red, but trichomes not clear. SOLVED

• Thread starter mk23tas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mk23tas

mk23tas

I found the answer in another forum.

My GSC plant is at week 8 of flower and I'm having a hard time knowing when to harvest. The trichomes are still cloudy/clear and not amber, but almost all of the pistils have turned brown. I'm just wondering why the pistils are turning brown before the trichomes? Plus the buds aren't very big.

Pistils are red but trichomes not clear solved
Pistils are red but trichomes not clear solved 2
Pistils are red but trichomes not clear solved 3
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My GSC plant is at week 8 of flower and I'm having a hard time knowing when to harvest. Most of the trichomes are still cloudy but almost all of the pistils have turned brown. I'm just wondering why the pistils are turning brown before the trichomes? Plus the buds are still growin
You want the trichs to be cloudy not clear.

I can't see the trichs but it's pretty close not to much longer imo just keep a close eye over the next week maybe a bit more. I usually chop when I see some amber and the rest cloudy. I would check multiple sites at different locations and only look at trichs on calyxs.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

I’ve had plants do this before. They may or may not produce more pistils over time. However as Aqua Man mentioned, watch the trichombes closely they will cloud then darken soon.
Or I’ve also had plants sort of stall and take weeks extra time to have the trichombes cloud, and they never fully turned amber. I have attributed this to either not enough light, or too little feeding during The blooming Cycle. Flower smoked fine, a little less long acting, critique would be immature. Thanks just my experience though. I’m sure others have different advise.

mk23tas

mk23tas

You want the trichs to be cloudy not clear.

I can't see the trichs but it's pretty close not to much longer imo just keep a close eye over the next week maybe a bit more. I usually chop when I see some amber and the rest cloudy. I would check multiple sites at different locations and only look at trichs on calyxs.

It was a typo, I meant half are clear and no amber trichomes. I read somewhere that it could be light or heat. The plant grew too tall for the box and a lot of the leaves are damaged from the light.

mk23tas

mk23tas

I’ve had plants do this before. They may or may not produce more pistils over time. However as Aqua Man mentioned, watch the trichombes closely they will cloud then darken soon.
Or I’ve also had plants sort of stall and take weeks extra time to have the trichombes cloud, and they never fully turned amber. I have attributed this to either not enough light, or too little feeding during The blooming Cycle. Flower smoked fine, a little less long acting, critique would be immature. Thanks just my experience though. I’m sure others have different advise.

I have two 150 watt led lights in the grow box and I think it is enough light, since some of the leaves are damaged from the light being too close. This is my first grow inside this new box so I can't compare it to other grows. The buds are still too small so I am going to wait another week or two and see what happens.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Greenjourneyman said it best. So this is a 9-10 weeker so at 8 weeks you have some time before ya worry. You said they are still growing. At this point as he said it possible they throw some new pistils. Best advice is it's done when it's done... Not when a paper says it's done

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

May wanna start lowering the nutrients at this point they look well fed.

mk23tas

mk23tas

May wanna start lowering the nutrients at this point they look well fed.

I stopped feeding them at week 7 since they didn't seem ready. I just hope they get a lot bigger because they are not too big right now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I stopped feeding them at week 7 since they didn't seem ready. I just hope they get a lot bigger because they are not too big right now.
Not sure I would stop yet... Light feeds maybe... They yellowing on the bottom? If your flushing I would wait for another week atleast. Maybe why they stunting a bit. I don't know the history of the grow so I can't really advise ya on that. Maybe a light feed next water but like I say hard to advise but I do think you stopped a bit early

Top Bottom