Pistils on 75% of plants during vegging? Anyone else having issues?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Without pre-flowers how would you determine the sex of a plant from seed without going12/12? I have grown for many years and I still get excited to see female pre-flowers on my young ones.
In the days when you didn't have the pre-flowering like you have now, sexing was impossible. The method back then was to take a small branch, root it, and put in under 12/12 and see what results. If the branch is female, so is the donor. Pistils were searched for with great zeal back then, since it saved a lot of hassle by eliminating the long sex test. The Matanuska strain never throws any errant pistils, but has produced a couple male flowers every now and then, which keeps the strain going... but nothing pre-flowering.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

I'm not worried about the pistils at all since I have seen them before, but the comparison I was making was that you never heard of plants throwing pistils in such a regular fashion in the days prior to the great hybridization that we are going thru. I have been approached by several seed growers aboutmy old strain Matanuska that I managed to keep going for 30 some years... but the idea of someone making cash on something that has been very closely kept over the decades... it just bothers me, I guess.
Smoking used to be about getting together with friends and sharing seeds. Now it almost seems that the only thing that matters is cash.
Wow 30 years that's a feat. Pretty impressive keeping a strain that long.

Top Bottom