Pistils Turning Brown

• Thread starter Nijini
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nijini

Nijini

I live in the mountains in China. I have a plant which a brought a seed with me from south america. It is a pure sativa strain from Paraguay. It is a female plant and it has started to flower. The plant is 4 1/2 months old and about 2 weeks ago it started to enter flooring stage. Until 2 days ago(see photo) the plant looked very healthy and strong. Today I went to visit the plant at the site and saw that many pistils are getting brown and some fan leaves are yellow. It rained for 2 days and it was all foggy. The temperature has decreased to around 60F(16C) at the coldest but rising again. Tomorrow I will go there again and get a shot.
My question is, should I be worried?
Pistils turning brown

Last edited:
Calixylon

Calixylon

Pistils turning brown will naturally happen, also this tends to happen earlier when your growing outdoors, as long as its happening slowly and the plant is still producing flower, your good. A few yellowing die off leaves are fine, but if the whole plant is turning yellow you may need to feed it

Nijini

Nijini

Pistils turning brown will naturally happen, also this tends to happen earlier when your growing outdoors, as long as its happening slowly and the plant is still producing flower, your good. A few yellowing die off leaves are fine, but if the whole plant is turning yellow you may need to feed it
Just some fan leaves turning yellow

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it's still as young as it appears and it's yellowing it needs some nitrogen fertilizer, I suggest using some compost top-dressed around the plant and if you can find something like Osmocote in your location (slow release organic fertilizer) then that would be my primary recommendation for you here.

If the pistils are turning brown there may be a few reasons, rain and cold are not those reasons in my experience. Pollination or something that has been sprayed are usually the reasons, and after that then there are pests which cause this.

Nijini

Nijini

If it's still as young as it appears and it's yellowing it needs some nitrogen fertilizer, I suggest using some compost top-dressed around the plant and if you can find something like Osmocote in your location (slow release organic fertilizer) then that would be my primary recommendation for you here.

If the pistils are turning brown there may be a few reasons, rain and cold are not those reasons in my experience. Pollination or something that has been sprayed are usually the reasons, and after that then there are pests which cause this.

It is difficult to find fertilizers here. I cannot even find good soil. It is a very secluded place and far away from civilization. The plant hasn't been sprayed with anything. It is growing completely naturally after I set it out.Pollination is not an option unless it is being pollinated by something different growing around the plant. I will try finding something when I go downtown. I will ry the flower shop, maybe they have something, although it is very unlikely that I do.
Can the plant due to colder temperatures think the winter has come?

Will keep you guys posted

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
That's a healthy plant for no food :) your soil must be really rich out there.

germinator

germinator

It is difficult to find fertilizers here. I cannot even find good soil. It is a very secluded place and far away from civilization. The plant hasn't been sprayed with anything. It is growing completely naturally after I set it out.Pollination is not an option unless it is being pollinated by something different growing around the plant. I will try finding something when I go downtown. I will ry the flower shop, maybe they have something, although it is very unlikely that I do.

No prescription drugs....clean eater?.....Piss on it every visit. She'll love it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Alright then, how about manures? Chicken, duck, goose, cattle, whatever you can find. If it's fresh, make it into a tea. It will stink, badly. Don't splash the tea onto the plant. A decent tea can be made by putting the manure into a bucket and covering it with a few inches of water and letting it steep overnight. Also, urine is the perfect fertilizer (most people don't want to hear it), dilute starting around 1:10 urine:water, and go up or down as the plant responds. Wood ashes may also be helpful as they'll provide K for the plant.

Learn about how to make plant teas and fermented plant juices. If other things are growing around you, you can use them to feed this plant. Chop up, cover with water, add some sugars of some sort or not, let steep anywhere from one day to one month. If going for the long fermentation it will need to be diluted.

Nijini

Nijini

As promised, a new photo
I think the plant is doing ok. Still haven´t fed it as I could not find anything here. I don't think it needs it. The plant is between 6 to 7 feet high. Temperatures though are getting low with a forecast for next week dropping, being 51 the coldest.

Mico
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree, I think it looks very good.

At this point you will want to start treatments for possible bud worms. Are you able to get a hold of Bacillus thuringiensis and/or Spinosad?

51*F won't hurt it, just slows things down.

Nijini

Nijini

I agree, I think it looks very good.

At this point you will want to start treatments for possible bud worms. Are you able to get a hold of Bacillus thuringiensis and/or Spinosad?

51*F won't hurt it, just slows things down.

I am not able to get a hold on anything here. I live in the mountains in an isolated place. Just monks and nuns around here or within 100 miles range

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am not able to get a hold on anything here. I live in the mountains in an isolated place. Just monks and nuns around here or within 100 miles range
Well then.... I'll need to think on this. I'm sure you could get a hold of a variety of hot peppers, yes? Garlic? I'm just not sure if these things are effective against the moths that would lay the type of caterpillar that will eat and ruin the buds. And if it's a place you have to visit, I'm not sure that you could easily drape her with something like mosquito netting, but! if you can, that's what I would start doing now. She shouldn't grow too much larger from this point out, she should spend her energy growing flowers now.

Mosquito netting, tulle, something like that, will be a pretty good physical barrier and could solve a host of problems for you. But, would it be too conspicuous? If so, then you're just going to have to let her run naked. The chicken (or duck, or cow or horse or rabbit) poo thing is a good one. That said, she looks as though she's lacking for not a thing right now.

Nijini

Nijini

Well then.... I'll need to think on this. I'm sure you could get a hold of a variety of hot peppers, yes? Garlic? I'm just not sure if these things are effective against the moths that would lay the type of caterpillar that will eat and ruin the buds. And if it's a place you have to visit, I'm not sure that you could easily drape her with something like mosquito netting, but! if you can, that's what I would start doing now. She shouldn't grow too much larger from this point out, she should spend her energy growing flowers now.

Mosquito netting, tulle, something like that, will be a pretty good physical barrier and could solve a host of problems for you. But, would it be too conspicuous? If so, then you're just going to have to let her run naked. The chicken (or duck, or cow or horse or rabbit) poo thing is a good one. That said, she looks as though she's lacking for not a thing right now.

Some new photos from today. 1 month since the pistils started to appear. How long more to harvest would you think?

Mico flower
Mico1
Mico2
Mico3
ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
That is a beautiful plant.
She probably won't be able to fully mature before your growing season in China ends. But she's very healthy.

You can help her by sprinkling a 1/2 cup ( no more than 3/4 cup )of hardwood ashes around the base of the plant.
Once watered in ,this gives the plant a boost of potassium which will help the plant produce fuller flowers. Be careful about using too much too fast. Hardwood ash can cause a pH drop in the soil. But I'm thinking that outdoors your soil should be able to buffer it perfectly.

Best of luck.
Peace

Top Bottom