PK Monster Closet | Deep water culture (dwc) | Gorilla Glue

• Thread starter PK1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hydroguard has to do with enzymes? so essentially add more enzymes for higher temps?
i used to use hydrozyme which wasn't doing much but the z9 seems to be doing well.
Hydrogaurd is nothing but bacillus amyloliquefaciens its pretty expensive and im using southern ag fungicide now at 1 ml per 20 gal. The southern ag fungicide does have some organics so you will see maybe a bit of foam like enzymes. The southern ag fungicide is dirt cheap and much more concentrated

The bacteria will kill pythium and protect roots from many different infections Not just pythium and has been used in big ag for decades for this reason.

The enzymes will help eat up any root shedding or decaying organics that pathogens feed on.

So the combo of the 2 while not absolutely necessary works wonders. But you can run either or in which case I would probably go with the bacteria.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i don't have much build ups yet or signs of root problem. However, it does say to add 1/2ml of each part every 3 days.
That sounds like UC roots or something for a sterile system... can you link it?

Thinking chlorine, h2o2, or pool shock type ingredients. In which case you dont want to add any bacteria cause it will just kill them if thats the case.

Reactions: PK1
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hydroguard has to do with enzymes? so essentially add more enzymes for higher temps?
i used to use hydrozyme which wasn't doing much but the z9 seems to be doing well.
Hhdrogaurd is a bacteria product not an enzyme product. Bacteria make enzymes but the ones we buy are synthetic enzymes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

this is the link for z9 check here
Yup looks like good stuff... the only thing is you really don't need to add every 3 days but rather at res change. Its kinda the way they get ya to use more. Enzymes don't actually break down the just keep on working unless they are exposed to harmful conditions. That would work fine with beneficial bacteria such as hydrogaurd or other.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ya, z9 is good stuff, so i guess i don't need that hydroguard. freaking expensive
Like I say you can go without but using the combo I haven't seen any issues. The cost is why I'm using southern ag fungicide instead. Its dirt cheap and running it with hygrozyme.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
finally, roots are out of the net pot. today was water change and some cleaning on the rez. Currently The rez is at 510 ppm with a ph of 5.9

2020 12 29 135329
2020 12 29 135319

I can't seem to get the temperature of the rez down. Current temp in rez is 23c 73.4f.
The air that i have set up outside of the bin isn't getting the bins cold enough.

I used to have the air going inside the bin which then i was able to get the water temp to low as 18c. I stopped that as i read about airprone.
This is a old picture of how it used to be.
2020 12 14 160821

Currently with the new setup and the 4" air duct going outside of the rez i get the temps as low as 23c. Here is how it currently looks
2020 12 29 223531

i know a chiller would fix this issue, but space is my issue. Do i have to freeze up some water bottles, or do you think air going inside the rez would not air prone the roots?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can give it a try. If the air stays humid enough they may be ok.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I use frozen gallon jugs of water to drop temps in the res. It's a PITA though. Your res temps aren't terrible, not ideal but not terrible. I wouldn't be too concerned.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
2020 12 29 135259
2020 12 29 135254

2020 12 29 135314

Well we had couple seed breaking ground and the seed in rockwool also came up last week. I think it's day 6 for these little seedlings.
Two seeds in promix hp are gorilla glue and the one in rockwool is a mystery hybrid sativa.
Here is few pictures of the last plant that got harvested which was the same hybrid sativa.

2020 10 31 153921
2020 10 31 153924

2020 11 12 063529

2020 11 14 194806

This sativa had a good taste to it. It was juicy taste, head high, gave very dry mouth and it was energetic. Got about 25og out of her. oh ya i should mention this was my first successful harvest lol!

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
2021 01 01 122126

2021 01 01 122142
2021 01 01 122206

I have to admit that i am amazed with the growth the gorilla glue has in hydro setup. The roots are developing further and the plant is growing. Currently the main stem has given 5 branches and i've topped all five. The low stress training continues and I am even considering supercropping to give more time to the side branches. The water level was also dropped so i added half of gallon of water and got the level back in order.

PH at 6.2 and adjusted to 5.8
Z9 Added 3ml Part A+B
PPM at 508

2021 01 01 122146

This seedling is behind on her progress so i went digging yesterday to figure what the cause was. Totally my fault as her roots are not long enough to reach the water source and manually feeding it twice a day was just not enough. So, i installed a aquaponic pump i had laying around and connected a hose to it so it can pump the water in the rez to the top where the plants roots are. The results were fairly quick and in no time the leaves raised.

Ph 5.8
Z9 15ml Part A+B
No nutrients yet. However, my tap water is at 21ppm. I'll wait for now until she grows a bit more before i rise my ppm.

Wishing everyone a happy new year 🍻

tobh

tobh

Supporter
your set up is so shiny... i love it haha. plants lookin good. funny thing about hydro is how plants show symptoms so specifically. think that's the fear so many have of it. if a problem exists... it's clear as day what it is.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
your set up is so shiny... i love it haha. plants lookin good. funny thing about hydro is how plants show symptoms so specifically. think that's the fear so many have of it. if a problem exists... it's clear as day what it is.
lol, I don't want the black lid to absorb any heat so the reflective sheet is handy but makes it crazy shiny in there.
Do you notice any sings on the plant? I know how fast it can show deficiency. my 1st dwc in a 5gallon bucket. Added molasses and defoliated. 2 Hours later I had deficiency and lockouts. Killed it.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
lol, I don't want the black lid to absorb any heat so the reflective sheet is handy but makes it crazy shiny in there.
Nah, I get it. My in-tent res is wrapped in reflective bubble wrap. Doesn't help much with heat, but the placebo effect is real.
Do you notice any sings on the plant?
The biggun is chugging along, looks fine. The seedling is behind, looks stalled, but happy. I'm assuming before the pic, the leaves were droopy and curled, likely due to starvation. you've corrected course in fine fashion. Come back in a week, I may tell you something otherwise 😉
Added molasses and defoliated.
What TF made you think this was a good idea in DWC?! Organics and hydro are not friends. You CAN run organic hydro, but.... no. Just don't. I'll leave it at that.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
update on the seedling in dwc, Ph has raised to 6, ppm still at the same levels. minor water loss but i am thinking due to evaporation.
It's still looking the same.

Top Bottom