Planning a tear down and rebuild come on in

• Thread starter BudGoggles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I been running my current setup for about a yr and a half and Im finally ready to add co2. Im currently running 2k over a 8xl UC and a 1k on a mover over 8-10 girls in organic dirt in a 10x11x8 room
The plan is to rip everything down in the room and rebuild and upgrade everything.

Im thinking of 10x11x8 sealed with 4k over 2 UC 8 xls, bottled co2 (2 alumi tanks) ran off a sentinel co2 controller a 18000 btu mini split and a 70 pint dehu.

I have a couple options
I could use the magnum xxxl hoods I have and vent all the lights or I could get adjust a wings hoods and dont vent the lights at all, is my A/C going to be big enough at 18000 btu?

The other big thing I been thinking about is the co2 method burner or bottled?
Is 1 20# tank of bottle co2 gonna last me 3 wks+
I really dont want to go with a burner because of the added heat and humidity

Any recommendation would be great. Im not worried about the cost. I want the best setup for the space I have

Thanks
BG

opt1c

opt1c

keep the magnums and rip out the glass over buying adjust-a-wings... ac might be close... i have a 36k btu that can struggle with a 7kish sealed room but it might need more freon; ac guy is coming by later today so i'll have a better answer for u then... the option to air cool is nice but presents a lot of problems in a sealed room... especially when it comes the the dew point; i.e. water dripping off your ducts... running non air-cooled prevents this problem

if your room is really sealed than tanks should be fine... if you have leaks; i.e. from air cooled lights etc; than you'll be going through em quick and its better to seal it up than to switch to a burner

if tanks aren't a hassle security wise go for it

treebark1950

treebark1950

If going sealed I wouldn't vent the lights. Every time I did that I still pulled a small amount of air from the rooms no matter how much tape I used on the hoods.

Here's what I would do:

I would up that to at least a 24k inverter mini split, hell if it were my room I'd get a 30,900 btu Mr slim. They are about 2500 bucks. And mine only pulls 14 amps at full load and hover at 4-9 amps while running normally. Inverters Re more efficient and lower amp draw. You never know when ya wanna add some vertical lighting to just makes things better.

You could totally get away with the magnums just remove the glass so your not robbing yourself of lumens.

Adjust a wings are much lighter and easier to hang and move.

If your fully sealed and I mean every inch is caulked and tight then a bottle should last u a 3 weeks to a month.

Also I know they are pricey but I would have to recommend a hi dry or santa fe dehumifider as the home depot ones are power hungry and not very efficient.

In my 7k sealed rooms I use a co2 burner and my propane tank last an entire cycle of ten weeks.

I have thatmr slim unit I talked about above and this weekend we are Adding an additional fredrich 12k split unit to get my temps down to 79 with the dehumidifier and burner running.

So I will have 42900 btus per room with 7k, adjust a wings, 4 burner co2, and a Santa fe max dehumifider.

I'm mid flower and since my debuy started running more I need the extra cooling.

The 30900 unit will enable you to easily cool 4k and a burner and a dehuy.
And it will also allow u to add a light up if ever wanted.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Im runnin (8) magnum xxxl hoods, no glass, no ducting attached, and no a/c...I have a 12" exhaust on a temp-1 themostat control...there are two 6" passive intakes at floor level at the opposite end of the room...I am basically using the cold ass outside ambiant air to a/c the room..with the temp-1 I can set the temp where ever I want no problem..

Room is 12' x 22' x 8' and other than the passive inlets its sealed up tight

Tex

hiboy

hiboy

Def. ditch the glass, such a lumen suckup. Increases your yeild for sure.. ive heard up to 10-15%
Spend the dough and get a larger a/c IMO
THe larger co2 tank will last 2 weeks ish in a similiar room a buddy has going. He pumps it hard though

h

lava

lava

you gave your room size, but what will your light footprint size be? Seems like it will be a lot of lumens/sq ft.

You will be very lucky if a 20# tank lasts 3 weeks, probably 2 is more realistic.

treebark is right about the sealed hoods...nearly impossible and i used tons of tape and caulk.

as for paying for cooling vs the loss of lumens from glass, its a tough call. I think you can be more efficient by using those watts on 20% more watts of light than you would cooling the excess heat.

as for the commercial dehuey, they take about 3 years to payoff at 50 pints/day when you calculate efficiency of pints/kwh and excess heat to cool. if you have a large garden going though 150pints/day, then its 1 year to payoff.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Our 18'x18'x9' room a 20lb CO2 tank lasts about 8 days at 1100ppm and 5 days at 1400ppm. It's not to bad... Also your looking at 3.4btu worth of heat per 1-watt, if it's summer time then I'd say call it 4-4.5 btu worth of heat per watt of lighting. We are running 5k vertical with no hoods or anything and getting away with 27k btu worth of cooling. Good luck on the upgrade and overkill your key elements such as lighting, heating and co2 if possible...

-ALLegal420

I'd go for a 50lb tank. dirt cheap to fill and you can usually get them delivered

although I'm not a fan of AN, I like their Melon Heads. I'm able to cool very easily a 4k room, a Co2 gen, and dehumidifier using a 12 btu unit. I'm growing on 3x3 tables

treebark1950

treebark1950

you gave your room size, but what will your light footprint size be? Seems like it will be a lot of lumens/sq ft.

You will be very lucky if a 20# tank lasts 3 weeks, probably 2 is more realistic.

treebark is right about the sealed hoods...nearly impossible and i used tons of tape and caulk.

as for paying for cooling vs the loss of lumens from glass, its a tough call. I think you can be more efficient by using those watts on 20% more watts of light than you would cooling the excess heat.

as for the commercial dehuey, they take about 3 years to payoff at 50 pints/day when you calculate efficiency of pints/kwh and excess heat to cool. if you have a large garden going though 150pints/day, then its 1 year to payoff.

I'm not talking about saving money when it comes to the dehuy. I'm talking about amps and pints per day....

I used to run 2 Fridgeair 70 pints that drew 6.5 amps each and they had to run all night just to keep my hum in check. so Thats 13 amps.

I switched out to a Santa Fe Max Dry for my 7k rooms and not only does it only draw 6.9 amps it out puts less heat compared to my 2 70 pints and does a true 150 pints per day. In turn I had extra amps for another light and I even added 12k btu more of cooling.

So it paid for itself in one cycle.

Less amps+less heat=more light and more buds!

Just my 2 cents

It took me buying one, or 3 before I understood why they rock!

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Thanks everybody for your feed back

The reason Im going with the 18000 btu mini split is my friend has it sitting brand new in the box not being used. It also has the low ambient heat pump already since it gets below 0 f around here. If I can make that unit work without venting the lights thats what I would like to do. If that unit wont work then Im going to have to vent the lights.
The room is going to be sealed 100% Im gutting all the old sheet rock and re sheet rocking and taping and then Im going to hang an exterior door so its sealed up tight. There wont be any cracks or anything. Thats why Im leaning towards bottled gas = less heat

4K is my max this room will ever be thats it. Theres no room for expansion in the future. If I want to expand Ill be doing an entire new location.

As for the magnum xxxl hoods, are they going to make hot spots and hold the heat if I pull the glass. I understand that the adjust a wing disperse the heat real good.

Im going to have a canopy of 10x 9 foot print for the lights. I may just spread the system out a little more so I have a small walking trail down the middle of the room then it would be 2 4.5' x 9' foot prints

I will be having all the air pumps, chillers, ballast and so on out of the room. The only thing in the room will be the dehu, wall fans, system and lights

So am I gonna be able to make this 18000 btu a/c work without venting lights?
I have been using 3k in the summer months with only a 5000 btu window unit and I can keep the temps around 83f. I forgot to mention this grow is in a basement so ambient temps are fairly cool

Thanks for all the insight
BG

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Hey BG, Love the work you are doing...

As for the AC, I would like to think that 18000btu would do the trick. I run a 12,000 and it keeps 3 1k ballasts running 6 600w lights cool. If you have any doubts would you be able to set up and run the lights and if the temps don't stay where you want them- run your vent for the lights?

With the low ambient temp thing... Make sure you heat tape your ac water drain line to the outside- Hmmm Of course, I haven't thought about maybe leaving the drain inside the house... Mine used to freeze up and back water up into ac which would then freeze on inside unit and drip down wall. Heat tape fixed it but maybe I should pull it back inside and use that water- it should be clean distilled water I think.

If your room is sealed pretty good, you can use those CO2 bags to bump up your 'baseline' amounts of CO2. With sixteen of them around (roughly 18*30 ft sapce) my average CO2 is 930ppm. I dont run more CO2 but I get the feeling if I were to add a can, it would last quite a while because of the baseline being so high.

I can't wait to see how this comes together for you, Good Luck

PB

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

lookin forward to seeing your new buildout BG!

check out this rubberized paint to seal up a room. my buddy turned me onto it and says it makes a real good seal for rooms with co2. i just ordered a 5gal at the beginning of the week. planning on coating ceiling, walls, and a couple inch strip past the molding onto the floor.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I think that you are definitely good on 3 lights year round. 4 in the winter. You would have to test the waters to see if it will handle 4 lights mid summer where you are. Also treebark has the idea. Go big on that dehuey. I ran a 75pt and a 50pt, and they barely cut the mustard. I am sprucing up my setup right now during down time, and my big upgrade is to add a Santa Fe max dry dehuey to the room. I can duct it in and out, so it will also save me floor space while keeping the RH in check like a mofo. Best of luck on the upgrades.

-TF

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Well I guess Im gonna have to just use the magnum xxxl hoods un vented and see how the a/c handles the heat. If it cant handle it Ill vent em.
For the room being sealed Im gonna finish the drywall coat the room in white paint, paint the floor white with some heavy duty floor paint and use great stuff on any cracks that are left. I like the idea of not venting I should be able to get the room sealed up super tight.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
BG, that 18k BTU mini-split should work about right for you, you could leave the 5k BTU A/C in there as well for backup and then you would definitely be covered!

I'll also say that we're running 2 wall-banger A/C units in our sealed room with CO2... I'd recommend getting 2-20lb bottles so you have one full backup ready to rock when needed.

-ALLegal420

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Thats exactly what Im gonna do allleagal420 Im getting 2 aluminum 20# tanks and I mise well leave that window unit in as well. Thanks didnt think of that

Latest posts

Top Bottom