Planning My First Soil/outdoor Grow

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Naturalx

Naturalx

Hey,

I’m currently doing my first autoflower grow, it’s going well. I plan to do another and start some royal queen critical seeds for the summer. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Our summers are a coin toss. Full of rain, full of blistering heat, you just never know what you’re going to get. The season is also pretty short. It cools down fast in September.

I’d like to plant them in my 2x6 foot raised garden bed. I’ve used it for years for peppers and vegetables. I’d like to put 2-3 photoperiods in there.

Can I start my plants too early? Is that a thing if I start them indoors and keep them 18/6?

For the soil I’m totally lost on amending the soil. Should I replace the soil or just amend Organics into it? Any advice is appreciated. I find it hard to get good resources in outdoor growing compared to indoor.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Hey,

I’m currently doing my first autoflower grow, it’s going well. I plan to do another and start some royal queen critical seeds for the summer. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Our summers are a coin toss. Full of rain, full of blistering heat, you just never know what you’re going to get. The season is also pretty short. It cools down fast in September.

I’d like to plant them in my 2x6 foot raised garden bed. I’ve used it for years for peppers and vegetables. I’d like to put 2-3 photoperiods in there.

Can I start my plants too early? Is that a thing if I start them indoors and keep them 18/6?

For the soil I’m totally lost on amending the soil. Should I replace the soil or just amend Organics into it? Any advice is appreciated. I find it hard to get good resources in outdoor growing compared to indoor.
Start indoors and yeses 18-6 is ideal and transplant as soon as the frost fears are done and over with. Amend the soil outside, get that ready while the seedlings are going inside

Madbud

Madbud

Hey,

You mention photoperiods, yeah going from 18/6 to say may 1 is going to require additional light or they will start to flower then reveg as the days get longer til mid june. I’ve read you can back off 18/6 by 15 minutes/week down to say 14 or 15 hours but the safest thing is keep them inside until end of may. Either way, moving plants outdoors requires hardening, only a couple hours sunlight for the first few days or put them in shade. Good luck

Naturalx

Naturalx

You mention photoperiods, yeah going from 18/6 to say may 1 is going to require additional light or they will start to flower then reveg as the days get longer til mid june. I’ve read you can back off 18/6 by 15 minutes/week down to say 14 or 15 hours but the safest thing is keep them inside until end of may. Either way, moving plants outdoors requires hardening, only a couple hours sunlight for the first few days or put them in shade. Good luck
Perfect. Not too much different then pepper plants but good to know to hold out until end of May. Our daylight hours aren't great we haven't even hit 12 hours of sunlight for the entire day yet. Good to know though!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hey,

Awesome. Agree with Naturalx. Horse manure tea works great as well as a handful of composted manure 15-18 inches under the grow site. Magic stuff.

Top Bottom