Plant is much too bushy.

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

Weekly update. Things are going great got the clones under the main light, showing 2 new nodes of growth.

Thinking of flipping it over this weekend, but might give it one more week of lst.

The clones are I dirt so I will be able to keep one as a mother. Was thinking of making it a bonsai mother.

Anyways, quite happy with the tent light fan and filter so far. Any suggestions ideas or questions just let me know.
20190524 125543 001

PuraWeeda

PuraWeeda

You wanna see some tight nodes.....
View attachment 869900

Still a new grower, my 3rd grow and that happened. That pic was 3-4 weeks after first leaves. Thought it was LED lights that was too strong too. Planted two more seeds of the same and they came out normal under the same growing method/conditions. Posted a thread called compact plant about it.

I think there are some definite selective breeding pressures to produce smaller plants for sure. Think it just boils down to random genetics.

Another good way to do this is monster crop (take clones from a flowering plant). Makes for good lateral growth and also makes for good moms. The first set or two of leaves are weird but once it gets back to vegetative state, they bush out like wild. Clones take a couple weeks to a month to root sometimes so it's not the most time efficient method but if you have the time it's pretty interesting to try once or twice.

BigCube

BigCube

Alright, weekly update. She is on day 5 of flower cycle. In just 5 days it's filled the 3x3. Maybe I should have flipped her a few weeks ago lol. Anyways. Thought I'd add more info about this grow for anyone who cares.

I started this plant from seed. It came from a 10 pack of feminized seeds that I bought from crop king seeds. So I know it's female. And I know it's one of the strains they sell. Through process of deduction I feel I have narrowed it down to bubba kush or white widow. But favor bubba kush. If you have any insight pls let me know lol.

It's in a 3x3x6.2 vivosun tent with an x5 cob 1500w (250w actual) led. Also using vivosun 4" fan and filter combo.

Growing in coco coir (promix hp with that microrna... whatever) 3g pot. Feeding tap water (my ppm out of the tap is 12) general hydroponics flora micro and bloom, Ausie tonic through veg.

I'm lucky we have the best tap water in the world lol. I fill a 3 gal bucket with water, drop an air stone in it and let it bubble for an hour or so just to get rid of anything that might be in gas form, then add my nutes. Ph is always bang on 5.6.

Anyways. Some more pics.
20190607 094523
20190607 094341
20190607 094231

BigCube

BigCube

Update! Week 3 (Day 19) of flower. Once she settled in to her nutes I hacked almost half the plant off when cutting the Bush back for flowering. Basically anything below the canopy and anything that was too small or didn't look like it was gonna yield much hot hacked. Some of the lower branches were 2ft + long.

Most of the big fan leaves were removed, they just keep coming back.

20190621 091449

20190621 091710
20190621 091919

20190621 091802

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Update! Week 3 (Day 19) of flower. Once she settled in to her nutes I hacked almost half the plant off when cutting the Bush back for flowering. Basically anything below the canopy and anything that was too small or didn't look like it was gonna yield much hot hacked. Some of the lower branches were 2ft + long.

Most of the big fan leaves were removed, they just keep coming back.

View attachment 876738

View attachment 876735View attachment 876732

View attachment 876740
Things are looking great, but you could have increased your yield by trimming off a lot of the large fan leaves and letting the light get to the growth points. It's a matter of choice, but it allows the buds and growing points to get more direct light if you remove a few larger leaves on the top canopy. It can really make a huge difference in yield as it increases the number and sizes of the new growth, which translates into more and larger buds during flowering.
I used one of your earlier photos and circled the leaves I would have removed. Please let me know if you would prefer that I remove it. I think the plant looks great and healthy, but it could have been a little larger if you pick just a few strategic leaves.

Blocks pics
Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Yup I did. When I trimmed it 3 days ago. As I said I the post, they grew back almost overnight. This plant has had more than twice its size cut off of it I its life time.

My orginal post was about how damn bushy this plant is lol. I've just kinda been updating it with progress. If I cut all the leaves you circle off, three or four days later it would look like I never touched it lol.

Last trim I have it I thought I killed it. I didn't spare a leaf bigger than pack of zigzags. The leaves I left grew 3 to 4 time their size in 2 or 3 days. I would have to trim this thing every day if I wanted to keep it opened up lol.

Thanks for the info though man! Always welcome. Next major trim will be just before I flush and lower the temps. Till then I'll try to keep on top of it lol.

BloodShot

BloodShot

I have a plant like this also, a BC big bud that started as a runt and blew up and never looked back since, I have pulled more leaves off of it than any in my tent and it doesn't stop. Will be running it next time as clones. Just put into flower a couple days ago.
Looking good in your tent!

BigCube

BigCube

Week 4 (day 26) of flower. Things are going good. Bud sites are joining nicely and filling in as to no longer be able to see the stock under the main tops. The 2 main tops are over a foot long each more like 18 inches. Buds everywhere and crystal all over the place. Smells great.
20190628 124956

20190628 125012

20190628 124910

BigCube

BigCube

Week 5 (day 33) of flower.
Chugging along. Everything is as it should be, had a touch of nute burn. Looks like this strain doesn't like any nitrogen in flower. I cut out all nitrogen (other than the bit in calmag) and it solved the problem. Most strains I've grown like a bit of n in flower. Guess not this one.
20190705 112140
20190705 112250
20190705 112200

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Yup I did. When I trimmed it 3 days ago. As I said I the post, they grew back almost overnight. This plant has had more than twice its size cut off of it I its life time.

My orginal post was about how damn bushy this plant is lol. I've just kinda been updating it with progress. If I cut all the leaves you circle off, three or four days later it would look like I never touched it lol.

Last trim I have it I thought I killed it. I didn't spare a leaf bigger than pack of zigzags. The leaves I left grew 3 to 4 time their size in 2 or 3 days. I would have to trim this thing every day if I wanted to keep it opened up lol.

Thanks for the info though man! Always welcome. Next major trim will be just before I flush and lower the temps. Till then I'll try to keep on top of it lol.
Things are looking great. When I made y earlier posy about trimming, the idea wasn't for the plant to grow larger, it was to maximize the size and light exposure of the bud growth sites, which shows it's benefit later in flowering, since direct light exposure = larger buds. The nice colas that you have wouldn't have been diminished, but they could have had others to converse with as they grew as the smaller buds under the shaded areas grew out more. You have done a very nice job and I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to grow since you are obviously good at it, I'm just trying to pass along some small actions that can really benefit you further down the road.

BigCube

BigCube

Lol. Dude. I know.....

If you follow the thread , you will see that I originally planned this to be my mother plant. that I didn't choose to flower it till 1 week before I flipped it.

The entire grow was just to test my setup and get a mother going. I never went for yield. EVER. For context I've been growing for like 10 or 15 years. I know how to open a plant up. I know how to train (usually I scrog). Normally I get a pound out of of a 3x3 closet.

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated, but you're barking up a tree with no animals in it. I have told you I know more than once. I never asked any questions. And a simple read of the thread could have told you everything.

This grow was Just to test my setup and get a mother going. I decided to flower it cause coco isn't that good to try and keep a mother in for long periods. I have taken clones for the next grow where I will be doing what I always do, scrog.

N

Newbietown

This has been a great diary for newbies like me to follow. I've never grown cannabis before but have given it a go to help make some cannabis oil for my mum who has cancer. I'm in Australia, so this isn't legal, and we are very slow to even get medical cannabis approved.

I'm curious at how old your plant was before you flipped? I hope I didn't skip past the age, and also if you have harvested, what dry content you ended up with.

I have grown 12 plants from seed and was worried they were too short and busy for their age (5 weeks ish). They were topped once. It was quite cold here when I started so I was worried they grew a bit slow from that until I added a heater.

From the size of your plant, I think I have too many plants for my space 2.4 x 1.2m.

I'm also trying to grow without the chemicals. I'm using worm casting soil fresh, coco coir and some dry organise worm casting pellets.

Any advice here would be great.

See attached photo of my current crop. 9 bubblegummer, 1 pineapple kush, 1 dark purple auto and 1 tropical kush (the three varieties are at the front.

20190901 110117
20190901 110136
BigCube

BigCube

This has been a great diary for newbies like me to follow. I've never grown cannabis before but have given it a go to help make some cannabis oil for my mum who has cancer. I'm in Australia, so this isn't legal, and we are very slow to even get medical cannabis approved.

I'm curious at how old your plant was before you flipped? I hope I didn't skip past the age, and also if you have harvested, what dry content you ended up with.

I have grown 12 plants from seed and was worried they were too short and busy for their age (5 weeks ish). They were topped once. It was quite cold here when I started so I was worried they grew a bit slow from that until I added a heater.

From the size of your plant, I think I have too many plants for my space 2.4 x 1.2m.

I'm also trying to grow without the chemicals. I'm using worm casting soil fresh, coco coir and some dry organise worm casting pellets.

Any advice here would be great.

See attached photo of my current crop. 9 bubblegummer, 1 pineapple kush, 1 dark purple auto and 1 tropical kush (the three varieties are at the front.

I no longer update this thread. I have started a grow diary that documents this entire grow.

Your plants look good btw. I let mine veg for quite a while. I can't remember how long. Check out the diary for more info.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

You wanna see some tight nodes.....
View attachment 869900

Still a new grower, my 3rd grow and that happened. That pic was 3-4 weeks after first leaves. Thought it was LED lights that was too strong too. Planted two more seeds of the same and they came out normal under the same growing method/conditions. Posted a thread called compact plant about it.

I think there are some definite selective breeding pressures to produce smaller plants for sure. Think it just boils down to random genetics.
I've been growing outdoors for quite a few years now...ended up buying some LED lights...got some nice ones now. I grew a few plants with feminized seeds I bought in town, and a few clones of this and that. They're growing like crazy, major bushy like that picture. I thought it was the high in nitrogen fertilizer I was using from the beginning, the 30-10-10 stuff I had. People were saying not to use 30-10-10...too strong they said, it'll kill your plants...to the contrary. I think the LED lights have a lot to do with why they grow so bushy like this.

Top Bottom