Plant Probs! HALP!

• Thread starter TrumanBudbank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

Well, here's the thing ... growing plants is kind of like raising children. The first one you have, you have many questions, make mistakes, but in the end they almost always turn out at least "ok." The second is less stressful, you learned from the first and it becomes an easier job going forward.

I don't think you will fail. I think you will succeed ... and every harvest afterwards, with the knowledge you've gained will steadily increase your yield and potency.

Your affirmations are humbly received.
blessings to you in these trying times.

Vagician

Vagician

Boron lockout because of excess Calcium?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Boron lockout because of excess Calcium?

Nice addition! @Vagician

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

"Liebig's law of the Minimum" combined with Mulder's chart were some of the most helpful concepts I've ever learned in growing. That and VPD 🤮

I would call that the "kiss" approach. lol

To what you posted above, I'd add the "nutrient uptake chart" to your list. Used with Mulder's chart together can provide a lot of answers to growing problems.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Per this chart, when I feed/water I should adjust the solutions to 6.5?

faaak I’m confused.
You should not adjust your ph at all IN Fox Farms soil. It is buffered already meaning it will self adjust to between 6.5 and 6.8.

As you can see on the chart @Vagician supplied excess Cal locks everything.

Even though you "flushed" your soil, it was not truly flushed like what a flush would be in coco or hydro which would be a complete medium reset and need nutrients added back in. There are still nutrients in the soil. A soil flush is diluting not really resetting. That's why you should use straight water after your soil drys from the "flush" for a couple waterings, because you still have nutrients in the soil.

You are getting good information here from @MIGrampaUSA and @Vagician and myself. Like most first time growers you are wanting to "fix" something that will fix itself if you back off all the nutes, drop the RO water, and water with tap water after your "flush"dries next couple of waterings.

The confusion comes in when you start mixing methods and mediums. Like 5.8 ph which works in hydro, not soil

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You should not adjust your ph at all IN Fox Farms soil. It is buffered already meaning it will self adjust to between 6.5 and 6.8.

As you can see on the chart @Vagician supplied excess Cal locks everything.

Even though you "flushed" your soil, it was not truly flushed like what a flush would be in coco or hydro which would be a complete medium reset and need nutrients added back in. There are still nutrients in the soil. A soil flush is diluting not really resetting. That's why you should use straight water after your soil drys from the "flush" for a couple waterings, because you still have nutrients in the soil.

You are getting good information here from @MIGrampaUSA and @Vagician and myself. Like most first time growers you are wanting to "fix" something that will fix itself if you back off all the nutes, drop the RO water, and water with tap water after your "flush"dries next couple of waterings.

The confusion comes in when you start mixing methods and mediums. Like 5.8 ph which works in hydro, not soil

Here's a good rule of thumb. Do one thing at a time. Wait for new growth to decide what steps, if any, are next.

Using the "flush" as an example. You flushed the soil, you wait for new growth to appear ... this will happen as the pot dries out anyway. Look at the new growth to decide what's next. If the new growth looks healthy, add WATER only at next feeding time. The new growth tells you if things are improving or not. Old growth rarely repairs itself.

This concept of waiting for new growth can save you from over-thinking and over-acting on things.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

FollowUp Question

is this plant ready to harvest?
Looked at the trichs on different buds...
One bud here has a bunch of light amber heads.. another is glassy with a few milky heads.. and another is super milky..
Varies.

based on pistils, does this look ready?

F34D8E7D 5C3F 4C18 AFA0 1109F2F47AF3
23A0E38D 5C50 4ABE BC1F 06E75CFBB144
0607E620 203D 45B6 9C6A EB76C434A057
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I think you are having Cal excess issues not deficiency and are having severe lockout in the first pics and beginning stages in the pic4 plant. I also think that your ph is way low for soil. That Fox Farms soil should come with enough buffers in it to not need to adjust ph for the entire grow using tap water with a ph between 7-8.

A couple of suggestions.
Drop the RO water if you are going to continue in soil.
Do a hard flush immediately, using 4 gallons of straight tap water for your 2 gal pots. Let your plant dry WELL, and then use straight tap water, no feeding at all, to water your plants to allow time for them to start eating the residual nutes left in the soil, since it is hard to truly flush soil. It will take a couple of weeks to get this straightened out, the plant labled above as pic4 and pic3 may recover decently and you may at least get a harvest out of the plant in the other pics.
I agree if you look at the complet margin on leaf you can see white spots on very end of the serrated tips Cal overload .

Top Bottom