Planters Pride Gel2Root

• Thread starter jdubz206
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jdubz206

hey farmers...anyone ever try Gel2Root by Planters Pride? they just got some of these in @ the hydro shop and look interesting...especially for shipping..they look like little jello snack cups with a foil lid...the cups are full of of clear gel that has a rooting hormone in it..i was reading the instructions, all you do is take a cut as usual and stick the cut directly through the foil lid..you can put 1-3 in each cup..

-----

from their website:

gel2root.jpg

The fun and easy way to start cuttings. Contains all the necessary ingredients for your plant cuttings to begin rooting - No need to water! Gel2Root is a non-toxic rooting gel that contains everything you need to start a cutting with no hastle, no mess and no worries. Clear containers allow you to see roots growing. Available in a 2 pack and 6 pack

Gel2root™ Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a cutting?

A. A cutting is a section of a live, healthy plant that is cut off and used to grow a separate new plant. Cuttings can come from leaves, stems or roots depending on the type of plant.

Q. What sort of success can I expect?

A. Success rates vary with different varieties. There will be some that do not develop roots. However, your chances of success are greatly increased with gel2root because you do not need to worry about watering or feeding.

Q. How long does it take to root cuttings?

A. This varies from plant to plant and conditions such as temperature and light. Fast growing plants can produce roots within two to three weeks. Others will take longer. A number of varieties have been tested. These varieties and the time they took to root are listed on the suitable plants pages of www.planterspride.com

Q. Can I take cuttings any time of the year?

A. In theory, yes. Providing suitable heat and light can be maintained. For most people at home this can be difficult. For best results, take cuttings when plants are actively growing i.e. spring, summer and autumn.

Q. Can I root cuttings of any plant in gel2root?

A. No, gel2root has been formulated specifically for softwood cuttings and houseplants. It is not suitable for hardwood cuttings or ericaceous (acid loving) plants such as azaleas and rhododendrons.

Q. Why does the gel turn brown after the cuttings have been inserted?

A. This discolouration is due to the natural compounds that are produced by the cutting. These will not affect rooting.

Q. How do I know when the plants are ready?

A. Unlike traditional methods, you can see the roots develop through the clear gel. As soon as a good number of roots have formed, the cutting can be transplanted into your preferred potting mix.

Q. When do I have to transplant?

A. The cutting can be transplanted as soon as a good number of roots have formed. If you are not ready to transplant, the cutting can be kept in the gel provided it does not dry out completely.

Q. Do I have to remove the gel before transplanting?

A. No, any gel that remains on the roots can be left on. For well-developed cuttings the whole remaining contents of the cell may stay attached to the roots.

----

let me know what you guys think about this..a 6 pack is about $12, i think i'll grab a pack next i'm at the store and give em a run...i think they might be a really good way to ship cuts as well...

take care everyone!

K

KingCrimson

i just got a 6 pack of these at my local shop, had my eye on em for a little bit. Paid 11.95. I only started one cup, with three cuttings, just to see how it goes. I also cloned several of my plants into rapid rooters and jiify pot peat plugs with and without hormone, just to see what works and what doesn't. This is the first time I will ever have used hormone, normally I just scarify the stem a little.

The rapid rooters gave me the most trouble, I bent/destroyed a few cuts' stems by pushing them into the hole, even though this isnt my first time using rr's.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, but we'll see how I feel when I'm removing either a gel covered dead cut or a gel covered clone in a few days. I'll try and get some pics and will keep you all posted. :cool0041:

J

jdubz206

sweet thanks Rev! i'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best :D

D

Donk Frog

I just grab twelve(2packs) today 8.99 canadian a pack at canadian tire. I took 27 cuts and put 3 in each cup and saved a few away. I'll post pics soon.

J

jdubz206

nice donk frog!! i'm going to grab a pack this weekend and check it out.

J

jdubz206

i just got a 6 pack of these at my local shop, had my eye on em for a little bit. Paid 11.95. I only started one cup, with three cuttings, just to see how it goes. I also cloned several of my plants into rapid rooters and jiify pot peat plugs with and without hormone, just to see what works and what doesn't. This is the first time I will ever have used hormone, normally I just scarify the stem a little.

The rapid rooters gave me the most trouble, I bent/destroyed a few cuts' stems by pushing them into the hole, even though this isnt my first time using rr's.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, but we'll see how I feel when I'm removing either a gel covered dead cut or a gel covered clone in a few days. I'll try and get some pics and will keep you all posted. :cool0041:

how's it coming along???

M

Mosca Negra

Breeder
Supporter
Tried these years ago and still have some laying around! No luck with this formula for rooting-- my opinion is it is not suitable for mj rooting. Just my experience..

P

pinhi

I just tried these a few days ago and no luck..it says on there that may not be suitable for acid loving plants..the cuttings went limp quickly so I washed them off and put them in rockwool and they perked up in no time

D

Donk Frog

Tried these years ago and still have some laying around! No luck with this formula for rooting-- my opinion is it is not suitable for mj rooting. Just my experience..

I pre-dipped mine in my normal rooting gel first:fubar

K

KingCrimson

no visible roots on anything yet. Nothing has gone limp or rotted or looked anything remotely near death. New growth may be starting up.

We'll see if the gel works I think it may yet. If not there are still further tests to be done. Including if this is a good substrate to suspend clones in for transport, then take them out dip em and root em, should that be needed and workable. Pics coming.
:afroweed:

K

KingCrimson

pictures as promised

I hate the air bubbles, weather they're bad or not I'm ocd about things like this. I've tried tapping and vibrating but not heating to get rid of them... any suggestions?

http://i233.invalid.com/albums/ee263/king_crimson99/Photo177.jpg

3 sloppy test clones, they probably could have been cut, chosen and treated better. I am ususally pretty critical of myself though...:character0103:

http://i233.invalid.com/albums/ee263/king_crimson99/Photo174.jpg

http://i233.invalid.com/albums/ee263/king_crimson99/Photo175.jpg

The 'control' clones in rapid rooters and peat plugs, plus 2 ladies that were too fucked to flower atm.

http://i233.invalid.com/albums/ee263/king_crimson99/Photo176.jpg

http://i233.invalid.com/albums/ee263/king_crimson99/Photo173.jpg

D

Donk Frog

My Purple wrecks are already starting to show roots they are so small now(the roots) I will wait a day or two for pics as I don't have good cam skills and would like them to grow a bit more so I can get a good pic

R

RansacktheElder

I love the side by side comparison KC. Just picked up some jiffy pucks myself. Nice to see they're used by others!

K

KingCrimson

they're so damn cheap. I saw refills the other day as well for the first time. A pack of 20 something pellets for 2.49.

They even charge reasonable prices for the greenhouse domes when you want to buy them, unlike most companies who charge retarded multiple dollar prices for fractions of a cent worth of extruded plastic product.
they are an irreplaceable component of my veg. process.

to update on my gel experiment, There appears to be a lot of filliment type of structures coming from some of the stalks but m eyes could be playing tricks on me. So far no deaths/droopers on either side but also no roots showing out of any pellets yet. I was half expecting the hormone to result in explosive root growth as its purportedly superior to not using it. This is what I'm trying to figure out now.

edit: to answer your q ransack, I havn't gotten the bubbles out, we'll see what comes of it. Right now I'm focused on ridding myself of these damned thrips. :fighting0087:

B

boxmunch9

hope them shits work cuz ill be all over their teet, i hate watering clones

D

Donk Frog

Mine did not end up takin, excpet the pw which is such a good rooter i think it would root in anything, back to cubes for me

F

flybynyt

I tried these a couple years ago, and had zero luck. They stayed alive for a long, long time but never rooted. It comes in a bottle as well, but I never tried it again, after the initial failure.

flybynyt

Top Bottom