Plants ~3 weeks old, haven't fed them and they looked burned. Halp?

• Thread starter GrandmaGanja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Repotted. Got some Fox Farm Happy Frog and did the deed. It was terrifying, and took a while. Some had nice big healthy roots and the others were much smaller and assumedly less healthy.

Before it’s pointed out: I ran out of large tubs and had to use a few overly large and one overly small. I prioritized the biggest plants into the big buckets and smallest for the small. I also ran out of soil, so some are fuller than others. I’ll get more when I can and I’ll monitor.

I figure they go outside in ~8 weeks, I’ll water only 4-8 more times, and no food.

Did I do okay?

A11088DA DBCF 4114 A9FC 34358FC060CB

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Repotted. Got some Fox Farm Happy Frog and did the deed. It was terrifying, and took a while. Some had nice big healthy roots and the others were much smaller and assumedly less healthy.

Before it’s pointed out: I ran out of large tubs and had to use a few overly large and one overly small. I prioritized the biggest plants into the big buckets and smallest for the small. I also ran out of soil, so some are fuller than others. I’ll get more when I can and I’ll monitor.

I figure they go outside in ~8 weeks, I’ll water only 4-8 more times, and no food.

Did I do okay?

View attachment 1119252
terrifying, i hear ya it’ll become easier as you go and learn a few tricks along the way.
well they are standing and that’s all that matters,
i’m guessing they are stressed a bit so you won’t see much going on for a week and probably won’t need much water. but as long as they are standing your good!
did you transplant when the pots were dry?
did you give them water after the transplant?
did you moisten the soil before using?

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Thanks! So I have them each a tiny bit of water, probably a tsp worth. I didn’t wet the dirt, but it was pretty moist. And I didn’t let them dry out completely. The larger plants were drier, but I was very careful to not let clumps fall off and rip out roots.

also, the little guy in the upper right. Not standing so well :(.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks! So I have them each a tiny bit of water, probably a tsp worth. I didn’t wet the dirt, but it was pretty moist. And I didn’t let them dry out completely. The larger plants were drier, but I was very careful to not let clumps fall off and rip out roots.

also, the little guy in the upper right. Not standing so well :(.
well just leave her be, not in direct light wind etc, hands off either she lives or passes on.,

growsince79

growsince79

I just moved these from their first little pots to their next size 3 days ago, so maaaaaaybe they're a little stressed from it? They were lightly root bound, but not terribly. I haven't fed any of them. They were originally potted in Coast of Maine yellow bag soil. I repotted them into 50% of the same and 50% of homemade compost. Someone help diagnose? They look a bit muddy because I watered them just before I took the pics.

Growing 5 strains:

Maui Wowi
Black Widow
Skywalker OG
LA Confidential
NYC Diesel

Currently in a grow tent. ~70F degrees and ~40% humidity. 24/0 light cycle.
They are overwatered and drownding.

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Worth noting: the biggest plants had the strongest root systems and were the only ones with worms in them.

Unreal what worms do for plants.

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

They are looking much better. I thought I was going to lose 2 of them imminently, but they’ve grown and regained some color.

I know everyone is saying not to water, but they’re so dry. The top layer is like a desert!

618EF2A1 D56D 4CAA B4A0 4425E64FD18E

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
They are looking much better. I thought I was going to lose 2 of them imminently, but they’ve grown and regained some color.

I know everyone is saying not to water, but they’re so dry. The top layer is like a desert!

View attachment 1119901
no don’t water yet.,
soil looks a little darker around the stalk than rest of surface,

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would also go down to 18/6 on your lights. I don't get the whole 24 hours of light thing, I know some swear by it, but in my opinion they need time to rest and grow... especially if they are already stressed.
Bingo!! and not necessarily darkness, but at minimum lower light setting and or shade parts of the day.

AND don't forget the wind! looks like you could use a bit more circulation in there also. Personally, to me, those plants look like there going to need far better drainage to thrive properly. Got to get that oxygen to those root zones.
They appear almost nutrient starved in hot soil, if that's possible. Looks like FAR TOO MUCH clay.
even moss, or sand, gravel, or ANYTHING to increase the drainage would help. But coco or perlite would probably be the best option to mix into it...

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
And pooped! Worm poop is the business.
I've got a worm bin with a million worms in it, and they are CANNABIS eating red worms...
They poop cannabis, bannana's, spinach and pumpkins all day long... and make lot's and lot's of babies.

BTW, these girls are approaching what root bound looks like, but not quite, yet. Growing in a shot glass.

IMG 20210502 170731938
Last edited:
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Bingo!! and not necessarily darkness, but at minimum lower light setting and or shade parts of the day.

AND don't forget the wind! looks like you could use a bit more circulation in there also. Personally, to me, those plants look like there going to need far better drainage to thrive properly. Got to get that oxygen to those root zones.
They appear almost nutrient starved in hot soil, if that's possible. Looks like FAR TOO MUCH clay.
even moss, or sand, gravel, or ANYTHING to increase the drainage would help. But coco or perlite would probably be the best option to mix into it...
So these are the new soil, only been in 2 days. When I repotted them I removed as much of the old stuff as I could, but I didn’t touch much of the dirt in the root ball, I was terrified of ripping it. So they have that root ball of hot clay (there totally is clay in there) that they’re going to have to get through. They’ve improved considerably in two short days, we’ll see what the next week brings. The current mix is Happy Frog, ample perlite in it.

as for airflow, there is a giant fan outside that pulls air through a large filter at the top of the tent. It’s in a timer, goes on for 5 or 10 min every 5 or 10 min. The picture was taken during the fan being off.

I also threw a timer on the light and have it on 18/6.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So these are the new soil, only been in 2 days. When I repotted them I removed as much of the old stuff as I could, but I didn’t touch much of the dirt in the root ball, I was terrified of ripping it. So they have that root ball of hot clay (there totally is clay in there) that they’re going to have to get through. They’ve improved considerably in two short days, we’ll see what the next week brings. The current mix is Happy Frog, ample perlite in it.

as for airflow, there is a giant fan outside that pulls air through a large filter at the top of the tent. It’s in a timer, goes on for 5 or 10 min every 5 or 10 min. The picture was taken during the fan being off.

I also threw a timer on the light and have it on 18/6.
Yea, I didn't see your replanted them until I read though the entire thread, nice job btw, you nailed it. I think there on a good track now, and it's pretty apparent they are responding.

Don't worry about the clay, the plants will seek out new spots to absorb nutrients, they are good at doing that, given the chance. Keep up the good work....
If the floor is cold in there at all, especially in the morning, get them girls up off the floor if you can... so the root zones stay a proper temp, I don't know if your up north, or not.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Did I do okay?

View attachment 1119252
Perfect !

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey grandma , get a hand mister , one of those little ones with a mist / spray .... And you can mist the stem at the soil to water gently , that way you will be safe from drenching the pot , and you can relax knowing that the root ball is getting a daily / gentle watering .....
This is some of the most sincere advice that I give new growers , try it

dire wolf

dire wolf

It's going to be a workout , but you can mist / water the entire pot to avoid overwatering , just till the plant gets a bit more vigorous , maybe two weeks

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Hey grandma , get a hand mister , one of those little ones with a mist / spray .... And you can mist the stem at the soil to water gently , that way you will be safe from drenching the pot , and you can relax knowing that the root ball is getting a daily / gentle watering .....
This is some of the most sincere advice that I give new growers , try it
LOL, get 2 misters, actually. (I've currently got 3). The ones with the pumps on top are the best. 1->1.5L don't skimp on this...\
They are good for achieving several different objectives.

Use one for delivering micro's, or kelp, or hormones, treatments for mold, and insects. So many benefits can be delivered though a fine mist directly onto the plant tissues themselves. Or even sprayed down into the plants roots itself, especially if you've got a 1.5L pump sprayer w/adjustable tip on it.

There's a big difference in various spray bottles, and I think they are great for managing the plants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom