Plants are too tall for my greenhouse setup - need advice please

• Thread starter JacksonH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JacksonH

8 6 2022

I tried moving one bag and yes, they will move. I plan on moving them to be in line with the roof peak. I won't be able to do this until Tuesday. I raised the lights to the maximum that they can go for now. I think that supercropping is in their future.
The plants are putting on more pistils as of yesterday; I've freaked out about them putting on any pistils before, but they seem to be putting on a lot. Could this be the beginning of flowering or is this just wishful thinking on my part? Seems kind of early for flowering here in Southern Oregon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

View attachment 1268676

I tried moving one bag and yes, they will move. I plan on moving them to be in line with the roof peak. I won't be able to do this until Tuesday. I raised the lights to the maximum that they can go for now. I think that supercropping is in their future.
The plants are putting on more pistils as of yesterday; I've freaked out about them putting on any pistils before, but they seem to be putting on a lot. Could this be the beginning of flowering or is this just wishful thinking on my part? Seems kind of early for flowering here in Southern Oregon.

It looks to me to be more than pre-flowers. There's genetic and environmental variables that adjusts the flowering clock. For example, trees to the west/north west can bring you below the light threshold a few minutes early every day ... and this can move the clock forward some.

Some strains also flower sooner due to their genetics.

S

Stonemason7767

I would get a black out tarp super crop and flower now.

S

Stonemason7767

Didn't see the pictures looks like you are starting to flower already.i agree with migrandpa.we had the same strains on two different farms one with shade in the west ,that farm flowered 2 and half weeks earlier.

J

JacksonH

Didn't see the pictures looks like you are starting to flower already.i agree with migrandpa.we had the same strains on two different farms one with shade in the west ,that farm flowered 2 and half weeks earlier.
I have tall trees to the East and West, and about 4 hours of direct sun in between, and trees to the South that have not been a factor yet since the sun is so high; they'll come into play in about a month when the sun is lower. I supplement light in the morning and afternoon. I've been adjusting the supplemental lighting to the sunrise and sunset times for my area. I'm definitely hoping that this is flowering starting.

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

If it's getting that hot in there with the lights out, you could try getting a big portable air conditioner. I run my lights at night and keep the AC set at about 80. I've also run a duct from my house to the shed that pulls our air in 24/7.

As for the size. I would start by doing a major thinning and lollypopping, then you should be able to do a nice supercropping to get a sea of green with enough room to grow.

Good luck!!

J

JacksonH

If it's getting that hot in there with the lights out, you could try getting a big portable air conditioner. I run my lights at night and keep the AC set at about 80. I've also run a duct from my house to the shed that pulls our air in 24/7.

As for the size. I would start by doing a major thinning and lollypopping, then you should be able to do a nice supercropping to get a sea of green with enough room to grow.

Good luck!!
Thanks

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I just super cropped a few tops on one my 3 indoor plants. I’m growing 3 different strains (don’t ask why) and the Jack Herer really stretched and was all out line with the others.
I was nervous but it ended up being an easy task and within 24 hrs the tops were pointing straight up again. I had to tie things down to keep them from standing back up.
Overall it leveled out my canopy and should increase yield for sure. Good luck.

J

JacksonH

OK, here's my plan: I'm going to whitewash the greenhouse roof; that should cut down on the heat somewhat. On Tuesday I'm going to move the plant bags to be in line under the roof peak; that will give me about another 2' of height for the lights. LST, supercropping, or lollipopping are all possibilities, I'll have to see how things look after they are moved.

I'll fertilize after the move. Since the plants seem to be going into flower, I'll probably use a fertilizer for flowering instead of growing. Pictures to follow...

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would personally cut a piece of steel mesh wire and pop it on top of those plants and crush them down a foot or two. Something like 1x2" squares but 2x2 would be better. Is the light needed anymore? If not I would ditch that as well. Take in cool air from below and exhaust out the top if you can. Not sure about the white washing the roof. I may have missed something but either way, something heavier than chicken wire but not much more.

J

JacksonH

I would personally cut a piece of steel mesh wire and pop it on top of those plants and crush them down a foot or two. Something like 1x2" squares but 2x2 would be better. Is the light needed anymore? If not I would ditch that as well. Take in cool air from below and exhaust out the top if you can. Not sure about the white washing the roof. I may have missed something but either way, something heavier than chicken wire but not much more.
The lights are needed due to trees blocking direct sunlight. The "greenhouse" doesn't have any windows installed, so it is wide open, with a roof to protect from rain. The temps are just too fucking hot with the sun coming through the Suntuf polycarbonate roofing panels. The lights have a temperature limit of 103 degrees, so I have to monitor the temps very closely, and make sure that the temps are lower than that when the lights are scheduled to come on. I have the timer set for them to come on at 6 PM, but sometimes it is 7:30 before it "cools off". One day the high temp on top of the light, with the lights off, was 120.9 degrees, and that's with 4 fans going, lights off and no windows. Too fucking hot. I'm surprised that my girls are doing so well in that kind of heat.

J

JacksonH

Putting whitewash on the polycarbonate roof is a no go, as it would damage it, so I'll either put on some kind of shade cloth or just live with it. I moved the plants to be in line with the roof peak which gives me much more room for the lights to be raised. I also did some lollipopping and added a scrog net above the canopy. I'd love to know what you more-experienced growers think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom