Plants don't drink water in flowering. Don't know what to do

• Thread starter SamRD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SamRD

SamRD

As soon as my plants go into flowering they stop drinking water, while most people say consumption goes up in flowering. Goes from once every 2 days to once a week maybe. Sometimes two weeks to get really light. They also produce super airy buds that have no filling but covered with trichomes. All my work wasted and I don't know why.

1) My first grow was outside and I had pH problems.
2) This time it's inside and I have treated the soil with a healthy amount of dolomite and the pH is stable. Water consumption has already slowed down considerably again ...
3) No visible problems with the plant that I can see. Maybe the purple stems or leaves too dark green might be N toxicity. This is day 17 of flowering.

Image0
Image1
Image2
Image3

I'm so disappointed, does anybody have an idea of whats going on?

These are the nutes I'm using with every watering.

IMG_3857[994].jpg

1ml cal/mag (recommended 4ml)
8ml bloom (recommended 8ml)
2ml humboldts (recommended 2ml or more in flowering)

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you are flowering under CFLs, that's about all you can expect. You need a more powerful light.

that plant looks fine. All it needs is more light.

Edit: BTW, they use less water during flower because the light is only on for 12 hours (assuming you aren't running autos).

SamRD

SamRD

If you are flowering under CFLs, that's about all you can expect. You need a more powerful light.

Edit: BTW, they use less water during flower because the light is only on for 12 hours (assuming you aren't running autos).
I understand CFLs are weak, but I've seen numerous people growing successfully with them. Of course it's not the same quantity or quality as with a real light, but they do have smokeable buds. Not just fluff.

SamRD

SamRD

You are going to need at least 100 real watts of twisty bulbs to flower a plant. And you likely dont need a full dose of fertilizer every time. Probably a combination of excess nute buildup and not enough light.
Those are 105 watts each

SamRD

SamRD

Also I see some tips pointing up, which from what I read is light stress, doesn't make sense since my lights are weak.

Image01349

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Those are 105 watts each

wow never saw those before. The grows i saw online that looked good like the grow weed easy tutorial had many 15 watt bulbs very close to the plant like a couple inches max and spaced all over. I dont know how to advise for 2 high watt ones. Sorry. Although they may need to be too close to work well and cause heat issues.

and you should have a read on your medium nutrient ec (ppm) cause that could also stunt your flowers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Around 26C with lights on and humidity 50%
Sounds about right. Idk they don't look over watered, not showing deficiencies and look healthy for the flowering time.

Possibly a nutrient ratio or concentration but I don't see any signs of that yet. Do they still finish well?

Your looking for a transpiration issue and usual culprits are high humidity, over watering, nutrient and light.

About the only thing I can toss out is do not water to runoff and keep the soil moisture a bit lower. Add perlite to the mix next go. You may need to change the feeding to a bit lighter when not getting run off and watch for tox signs to pop up as you may need a water only. Caution that doing this with synthetic nutrients can create some ratio issues so if you notice something going off then I would do a flush with very light feed.

What I'm getting at is soil can compact over time and this can affect aeration.... I think if you add perlite next run you'll probably solve this issue.

N

Newber

Try a fabric pot next time man! And agreed, they look good right now. Keep it up!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The bloom nutes shown in your pic are from a 3 part lineup from advanced nutrients... you're going to need the micro and grow nutes to accompany the bloom nutes.... using only one part of a 3 part nutrient line will not perform as desired. At least that's my understanding.

Good call! No nitrogen in the nute ratio combined with the not so penetrating light of a twisty cfl would inhibit big solid buds. And looking back the plant is starving for nitrogen.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
As soon as my plants go into flowering they stop drinking water, while most people say consumption goes up in flowering. Goes from once every 2 days to once a week maybe. Sometimes two weeks to get really light. They also produce super airy buds that have no filling but covered with trichomes. All my work wasted and I don't know why.

1) My first grow was outside and I had pH problems.
2) This time it's inside and I have treated the soil with a healthy amount of dolomite and the pH is stable. Water consumption has already slowed down considerably again ...
3) No visible problems with the plant that I can see. Maybe the purple stems or leaves too dark green might be N toxicity. This is day 17 of flowering.

View attachment 1090711View attachment 1090712View attachment 1090713View attachment 1090714

I'm so disappointed, does anybody have an idea of whats going on?

These are the nutes I'm using with every watering.

View attachment 1090716

1ml cal/mag (recommended 4ml)
8ml bloom (recommended 8ml)
2ml humboldts (recommended 2ml or more in flowering)
I haven't read all the replies but if you're not going through water you may need more air circulation around your pots. Is it 26C on the floor or at plant height . Soil may also be too dense, more perlite? What are you using I don't see a mention of it.

growsince79

growsince79

Nice setup. Love those big cfls. They can make excellent buds with the right strain. With sativas, I wouldn't expect window breakers. I don't see a N deficiency at all.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

This is not entirely true. I have grown with cfls and I’ve gotten very nice tight buds full of trichs.
It’s not that cfls can’t grow great, it’s that it takes a differnt technic to grow great buds with cfl. And with today’s leds, cfl grows have fallen to the wayside and people will not research before writing.
However.... growing with cfls the way the O.P. Is will not produce the tight buds wanted.

Top Bottom