Plants look great but low milk/mild cheese odor - happening across all strains, and for second time

• Thread starter cannabiscreep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

Hey everybody!

This is my second grow in coco and flowers look great. Just like my last grow! But the odor seems way less than when grown in soil. In this grow I am growing some of the same strains from the same seed packs as I did in soil but the odor is different and much lower. There is kind of a warm soft cheese like Bree to whipping cream aroma and I experienced that in my first coco grow.

My first coco grow had big, dense buds with lots of trichomes. It smokes great but very low terps/aroma

Take a look at my grow parameters and notes and let me know if I am missing something

temp 72f +-5 degrees
humidity 65% rh +- 3
Lights 2 SF 2000s in a 3x4 space

Nutrients:
Hydroponic Research Veg+bloom, Stax,Shine, Plus life
Advanced Nutrients CalMag+
FulPower Humic Acid
Terpinator (is used this with soil with good results)

I am running all nutes at 2/3 strength except calmag which is full strength

Ph is between 5.8 and 6.1 PPM zag 500 scale is 1000 - 1150

Automatic feeding twice a day at lights on and at lights off ( every 12 hours)

When I rub the sugar leaves I can smell the terps as I expect ie skunk, melon, fruity pebbles, blueberry, grapes and dirt/earthy the over all smell really seems like dairy. I don’t want to ruin this run

Has anyone experience this low odor issue with genetics you know should be stinky?

Here is what they looked like last night.

4665152A-7996-4113-B7F7-53290074C7F5.jpeg
664D6E4A-B67E-474D-9C9B-119908B26166.jpeg
7A7BAE68-C55F-4520-B653-BFC18F185273.jpeg
EE0D423A-D994-4EA3-81D0-36118DDF3D37.jpeg
but,

2Bad

2Bad

Hey everybody!

This is my second grow in coco and flowers look great. Just like my last grow! But the odor seems way less than when grown in soil. In this grow I am growing some of the same strains from the same seed packs as I did in soil but the odor is different and much lower. There is kind of a warm soft cheese like Bree to whipping cream aroma and I experienced that in my first coco grow.

My first coco grow had big, dense buds with lots of trichomes. It smokes great but very low terps/aroma

Take a look at my grow parameters and notes and let me know if I am missing something

temp 72f +-5 degrees
humidity 65% rh +- 3
Lights 2 SF 2000s in a 3x4 space

Nutrients:
Hydroponic Research Veg+bloom, Stax,Shine, Plus life
Advanced Nutrients CalMag+
FulPower Humic Acid
Terpinator (is used this with soil with good results)

I am running all nutes at 2/3 strength except calmag which is full strength

Ph is between 5.8 and 6.1 PPM zag 500 scale is 1000 - 1150

Automatic feeding twice a day at lights on and at lights off ( every 12 hours)

When I rub the sugar leaves I can smell the terps as I expect ie skunk, melon, fruity pebbles, blueberry, grapes and dirt/earthy the over all smell really seems like dairy. I don’t want to ruin this run

Has anyone experience this low odor issue with genetics you know should be stinky?

Here is what they looked like last night.

View attachment 1240271View attachment 1240272View attachment 1240273View attachment 1240274but,
All seeds have different smells and tastes even from the same pack. It's called a pheno. This is why we clone before we flower. As for the smell I hope it's not bud rot your humidity should be about 55 or lower in flower. What do you have going for airflow?

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

I have an AC Infinity 6” fan on a humidity controller. When the plants are this big it going almost non stop.

I do turn the humidity to 55 in the last month of flower which is next week.

I didnt have any rot in the last grow, no pest, and no PM.

I’ll just have to wait and see if the smell changes in the next month.

2Bad

2Bad

I have an AC Infinity 6” fan on a humidity controller. When the plants are this big it going almost non stop.

I do turn the humidity to 55 in the last month of flower which is next week.

I didnt have any rot in the last grow, no pest, and no PM.

I’ll just have to wait and see if the smell changes in the next month.
You don't have an oscillating fan?

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

Would it be safe to assume if these are all low aroma then they will be fine weed but not something you save a clone of or use for breeding? Maybe I have just been lucky on my few grows.

2Bad

2Bad

Would it be safe to assume if these are all low aroma then they will be fine weed but not something you save a clone of or use for breeding? Maybe I have just been lucky on my few grows.
Personally i've only done one grow. I've noticed the smells change every few weeks It feels like. But the only one plant that looked like shit and was all limp everywhere was my favorite strain. Even the one I loved the smell of I just didn't like the smoke.

HighRootz

HighRootz

First off, your plant looks lovely. Now, do you have a reservoir that you feed from? How does that water smell/look like? Any buildup or slimy looking bubbles? Was the last harvest smoke cheesy in taste?

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

The last harvest has kinda of a lemon minty jack herer type flavor. Its pretty tasty but nothing to write home about. The high is upbeat to psychedelic. So its good but I feel like it could have been better and then to have the same smells again from a mix of same and different seeds. No cheesy flavors, no cheese strains in the lineage.

The resivoir is a 25 gallon trash can but I only mix 15 gallons at a time. It has an air stone going constantly and a sump pump on an intermittent timer to keep the nutes mixed. Temp right now is 76f.

Some times I see an oily sheen on the top so I’ll dump and clean before mixing ip new nutes.

Last edited:
HighRootz

HighRootz

The last harvest has kinda of a lemon minty jack herer type flavor. Its pretty tasty but nothing to write home about. The high is upbeat to psychedelic. So its good but I feel like it could have been better and then to have the same smells again from a mix of same and different seeds. No cheesy flavors, no cheese strains in the lineage.
Are they the exact beans planted from last harvest or are they the different beans that was mixed in? What strains and seed bank are they from? Did you reuse the coco or make fresh batch?

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

Fresh coco.

Last run in soil: Jinxproof 9 lb Hammer
Last run in coco: Jinxproof Vixen 2 plants culled for herms( actually just calaxys on the stems, i might have over reacted)
This run in coco: Jinxproof 9 lb hammer
Jinxproof Main Event, Seedsman Critical Purple Kush.

The 9lb hammers are from the same pack of seeds. Everything I grew in soil was funky fruity garbage smells during flower but now in coco not at all.

HighRootz

HighRootz

This gumshoe is stumped. I'm leaning towards your reservoir putting off the smell but could be wrong. If it starts to smell sour then you know it's a growing issue. I'm positive there's someone here who could give you a more definitive answer. Pics of your entire set up may help solve the issue

2Bad

2Bad

This gumshoe is stumped. I'm leaning towards your reservoir putting off the smell but could be wrong. If it starts to smell sour then you know it's a growing issue. I'm positive there's someone here who could give you a more definitive answer. Pics of your entire set up may help solve the issue
It's probably just the pheno's
Plus growing in coco too could change the smell

HighRootz

HighRootz

It's probably just the pheno's
Plus growing in coco too could change the smell
I was thinking the same thing, it's the pheno's. I'm not sure if coco changes the smell cuz my flowers reeked last harvest for 1st time growing in coco but the flowers I've grown in organic living soil tasted a little better than my coco grown flowers, IMO, but maybe I've yet to get growing in coco dialed in fully and they can smell and taste equally great

2Bad

2Bad

I was thinking the same thing, it's the pheno's. I'm not sure if coco changes the smell cuz my flowers reeked last harvest for 1st time growing in coco but the flowers I've grown in organic living soil tasted a little better than my coco grown flowers, IMO, but maybe I've yet to get growing in coco dialed in fully and they can smell and taste equally great
Well said

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Why Do Some Cannabis Strains Smell Like Cheese?​

Jeremiah WilhelmJune 4, 2016

Cannabis is a flower. And like flowers, cannabis exhibits strong, diverse odors that will stimulate your mind and elicit different sensations based on those smells (and, when smoked, flavors). These smell- and flavor-inducing chemicals are known as terpenes, which are representative of potential effects inside each unique flower. Linalool, for example, is a powerful terpene most commonly associated with lavender. It’s known for its relaxing, sedative effects — the same thing people hope to inspire when they place a pouch of lavender under their pillows before bed.

Cannabis is a flower. Lavender is a flower. So what? Flowers smell like flowers.

Wait. Hold your horses, y’all. Here’s where it gets weird.

Of all the terpenes, of which more than 200 are found in cannabis, many evoke smells that don’t occur naturally in nature. Today, we are going to focus on a few terpenes near and dear to my heart (and stomach): CHEESE!

The “cheesy” terpenes are easily some of the most pungent and challenging. But the strains reward the adventurous palate with brilliant, uplifting effects that are pleasantly stimulating and luscious.

Such terpenes include octanoic acid, (methyl thio) butyrate, ethylmethyl acetic acid, hexanoic acid, isovaleric acid, and methyl mercaptan. These chemicals traverse the scale of cheesiness from the sweet, vanilla ice cream elements of Dairy Queen to the significantly cave-aged earthiness of OG Cheese and UK Cheese.

Grabbed that from leafly.

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

Why Do Some Cannabis Strains Smell Like Cheese?​

Jeremiah WilhelmJune 4, 2016

Cannabis is a flower. And like flowers, cannabis exhibits strong, diverse odors that will stimulate your mind and elicit different sensations based on those smells (and, when smoked, flavors). These smell- and flavor-inducing chemicals are known as terpenes, which are representative of potential effects inside each unique flower. Linalool, for example, is a powerful terpene most commonly associated with lavender. It’s known for its relaxing, sedative effects — the same thing people hope to inspire when they place a pouch of lavender under their pillows before bed.

Cannabis is a flower. Lavender is a flower. So what? Flowers smell like flowers.

Wait. Hold your horses, y’all. Here’s where it gets weird.

Of all the terpenes, of which more than 200 are found in cannabis, many evoke smells that don’t occur naturally in nature. Today, we are going to focus on a few terpenes near and dear to my heart (and stomach): CHEESE!

The “cheesy” terpenes are easily some of the most pungent and challenging. But the strains reward the adventurous palate with brilliant, uplifting effects that are pleasantly stimulating and luscious.

Such terpenes include octanoic acid, (methyl thio) butyrate, ethylmethyl acetic acid, hexanoic acid, isovaleric acid, and methyl mercaptan. These chemicals traverse the scale of cheesiness from the sweet, vanilla ice cream elements of Dairy Queen to the significantly cave-aged earthiness of OG Cheese and UK Cheese.

Grabbed that from leafly.
Breeder does call out vanilla and there is a hint of a non dairy soft serve vanilla so I guess thats how it presents itself.

It might be that its just making my nose scent blind. I’m gonna pull out the plants tonight and just go smell them outside individually and see if they smell right when they are separated.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Breeder does call out vanilla and there is a hint of a non dairy soft serve vanilla so I guess thats how it presents itself.

It might be that its just making my nose scent blind. I’m gonna pull out the plants tonight and just go smell them outside individually and see if they smell right when they are separated.
Good idea. Are you the only one that smells it? Bring another set of nostrils with you in case you are having an olfactory stroke.

Top Bottom