Plants Per Light

• Thread starter EatPizza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EatPizza

EatPizza

Hey all,
Haven't posted in quite some time. I'm looking to switch my ebb-n-flow set up to 5 gallon smart pots. I have 6 lights at 1000w. Would one plant per light yield pretty good, or should i go 2-3 plants per light? Also, would starting from seed be more ideal than clones?

Thanks all!

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Are you saying you have 6 1000 watt lights? Or 6 lights totalling 1000 watts? Cause if you have 6 1000w lights, you can do around 6 plants per light i assume give or take but if you have 6 lights totalling 1000w thats only about 166w per light which i would say could support about 6 plants total... But i dont know the variables such as type of lights, wattage per light, how you have them arranged ect ect... More info could help in a more finite answer.

G gnome

G gnome

Are you saying you have 6 1000 watt lights? Or 6 lights totalling 1000 watts? Cause if you have 6 1000w lights, you can do around 6 plants per light i assume give or take but if you have 6 lights totalling 1000w thats only about 166w per light which i would say could support about 6 plants total... But i dont know the variables such as type of lights, wattage per light, how you have them arranged ect ect... More info could help in a more finite answer.
Well, he already sed hes got 6 1k lights haha

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Also, both clones and seeds have a different set of advantages... Clone are already weeks or months old. They will always grow faster. With seed you can clone multiple times to up your stock but will grow slower than clones would. Also if grown from seed your yeilds can be higher. Not to say that clones cant yeild, but in my experience i would rather flower multiple smaller clones at once VS one big plant grown from seed.. The purpose of cloning is to provide a bunch of plants that are the exact same sex and genetics. My advice is to grow from seed and only flower the clones.

G gnome

G gnome

Hey all,
Haven't posted in quite some time. I'm looking to switch my ebb-n-flow set up to 5 gallon smart pots. I have 6 lights at 1000w. Would one plant per light yield pretty good, or should i go 2-3 plants per light? Also, would starting from seed be more ideal than clones?

Thanks all!

Assuming ur not limited by plant count, ur much better off doin more plants per light. More smaller plants means less time/resources dedicated to filling a given space. I always say..."there aint no money in vegging plants"

Dbear180

Dbear180

I do 4-5 under 600s & yield about 20 oz per light. Compared to most peoples standards I have large plants. I run ss4 in 7 gals, plants are anywhere between 4 & 6 ft tall & I top for multiple major colas. I try to space them so that the light can reach deep into the canopy to minimize larf. Spacing really is your only limiting factor.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

What type of 1k lights, MH, HPS, or Leds? With Led's, it really can vary. I been growing 14 years, and have used all 3 types. The advantages to good leds over the HID lamps are many. I currently have 8 plants in a 4' x 4' tent, under 2 600W G8 Led's and 2 90 watt G8 red boosters. I soon plan on growing some 100% sativa's and doing like Dbear180, grow big plants. I have 3 seven gallon smart pots on order.

With 6k of light, regardless of type, yes, I would say 4 or even 5 plants per light. It does depend on how you are going to grow them.

EatPizza

EatPizza

I do 4-5 under 600s & yield about 20 oz per light. Compared to most peoples standards I have large plants. I run ss4 in 7 gals, plants are anywhere between 4 & 6 ft tall & I top for multiple major colas. I try to space them so that the light can reach deep into the canopy to minimize larf. Spacing really is your only limiting factor.

You doing seed or clones?

EatPizza

EatPizza

What type of 1k lights, MH, HPS, or Leds? With Led's, it really can vary. I been growing 14 years, and have used all 3 types. The advantages to good leds over the HID lamps are many. I currently have 8 plants in a 4' x 4' tent, under 2 600W G8 Led's and 2 90 watt G8 red boosters. I soon plan on growing some 100% sativa's and doing like Dbear180, grow big plants. I have 3 seven gallon smart pots on order.

With 6k of light, regardless of type, yes, I would say 4 or even 5 plants per light. It does depend on how you are going to grow them.

Doing HPS...should have clarified. I'm actually running each light at 800w

Dbear180

Dbear180

You doing seed or clones?

Clones. Been running the same stock over 5 years. Clones off clones off clones. Just recently did a run with all new flavors I started from seed tho. Did 4 per light except my shorties I did 3. Ended up with a lil over a 5 pack from 4 se600hps.

Dbear180

Dbear180

This was probably 5 weeks before harvest. The big dogs are in the back corners. My sensor hanging on the right is between 5-6 ft off the ground.
20180306 185452

I think this was two weeks before harvest.
20180407 203017

I move em around & just make the best of my space & available light.

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

This was probably 5 weeks before harvest. The big dogs are in the back corners. My sensor hanging on the right is between 5-6 ft off the ground.
View attachment 804028

I think this was two weeks before harvest.
View attachment 804027

I move em around & just make the best of my space & available light.
Very nice set up. If I had that much space, I would only need to grow once every couple years, as I consume 95% of my produce myself. I have 2 friends who rarely ask for a bit. Looks great!

Dbear180

Dbear180

Very nice set up. If I had that much space, I would only need to grow once every couple years, as I consume 95% of my produce myself. I have 2 friends who rarely ask for a bit. Looks great!

Thanks man :) I used to do some commercial stuff, this is pretty much the same way I did that just scaled way down. I'm in it for the fun & just to know & burn my own product with friends & fam. Never know with them dispos these days either.

G gnome

G gnome

Also notice how my light goes all the way to the floor. That's important because underneath your nice lush canopy you will have fluff up the wazoo if you don't let the light penetrate between plants.
Thats a waste of light

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Thanks man :) I used to do some commercial stuff, this is pretty much the same way I did that just scaled way down. I'm in it for the fun & just to know & burn my own product with friends & fam. Never know with them dispos these days either.
That's cool. I envy your ability to go high. I am forced to use a tent inside of a bedroom, which is only 7' tall. The tallest plants I grews in it were about 4', and I had zero headroom left. But, I have some seeds on order which I plan to train, they are "Panama x Malawi" and is one of the most potent sativa available currently.

Dbear180

Dbear180

That's cool. I envy your ability to go high. I am forced to use a tent inside of a bedroom, which is only 7' tall. The tallest plants I grews in it were about 4', and I had zero headroom left. But, I have some seeds on order which I plan to train, they are "Panama x Malawi" and is one of the most potent sativa available currently.

Look into the gorilla tents they have an extension I believe makes them 8 ft. The prob tho is those sativas loooove to stretch lol. Do you do a lot of training with them to try & keep them short?

Top Bottom