Plants refuse to be defoliated, doing more harm than good?

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

So my girls are in early flower, I'm trying to defoliate for airflow purposes and to have less popcorn buds... I've given them 4 or 5 major haircuts, both small branches and some leaves... but they grow new sprouts every damn time. I knew they would do this in veg, but we're heading into flower and they still refuse to stop pushing out new shoots when I clip shit off. My question is this... am I doing more harm than good continually removing sprouts from the same area, like am I just wasting thier energy? Usually I don't do too much in the way of defoliation other than a few lower branches and dying leaves, so I'm not sure if this is normal? I really want the energy to go to starting those buds, as I feel a little behind compared to other years, though maybe not... stop sprouting new foliage and bud you stubborn bitches! Should I just stop defoliation all together? Really trying to avoid a mold shit show, but they just refuse to be thinned out. Haven't updated my diary in over a month cause life got in the way...oh well.
@Moe.Red @Aqua Man
@Madmax

B

Bigbudz92

They will grow alot in the first 3 weeks or so of flowering then they will stop growing and focus on bud production. You can keep doing some light defoliation but dont trim to much branches off when in flower. If you dont see buds yet you are definitely still good.

TSD

TSD

They will grow alot in the first 3 weeks or so of flowering then they will stop growing and focus on bud production. You can keep doing some light defoliation but dont trim to much branches off when in flower. If you dont see buds yet you are definitely still good.
Not actual buds yet... I'd say they've been in early flower for like 2 weeks... just starting to pop out a few pistils and have a smell.

Madmax

Madmax

Got some pics bro.you shouldnt have to defoliate outside .you could clean up the bottoms but ive never really had to or worried about it.id only start to worry bout mold when you are getting at the pointy end of the grow when winters approaching.with rain id go out and shake it off or even use blower.you could put tarp over them too to help..

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

Got some pics bro.you shouldnt have to defoliate outside bro .you could clean up the bottoms but ive never really had to or worried about it.id only start to worry bout mold when you are getting at the pointy end of the grow when winters approaching.with rain id go out and shake it off or even use blower.you could put tarp over them too to help..
Not recent ones but I can take some tomorrow. I did a scrog on 3 to keep them incognito. Botrytis is the bane of my existence so I'm trying to be proactive... I usually don't do a ton of defol but I'm trying to keep below my scrog relatively clean for airflow and maintenance purposes... I just like to switch shit up... had trees last year and my hubs about had a coronary so I tried something new. 🤷‍♀️

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah me also,but only inside.i only have problems outside when ive grown strains with big dense buds.95% of the time they arnt.i stick to indica leaning with shorter flower period so i can get them in before the crap weather comes.other than that never really had a problem.not much you can do really.stop growing trees lol..hahaha.

TSD

TSD

Yeah me also,but only inside.i only have problems outside when ive grown strains with big dense buds.95% of the time they arnt.i stick to indica leaning with shorter flower period so i can get them in before the crap weather comes.other than that never really had a problem.not much you can do really.stop growing trees lol..hahaha.
Yeah my climate does not favor trees... another reason I'm trying a scrog, maybe more evenly medium sized buds and less colas will help... but I just expect it at this point.

TSD

TSD

Got some pics bro.you shouldnt have to defoliate outside .you could clean up the bottoms but ive never really had to or worried about it.id only start to worry bout mold when you are getting at the pointy end of the grow when winters approaching.with rain id go out and shake it off or even use blower.you could put tarp over them too to help..
So these aren't the best pics but it's hot out and I don't want to get sweaty right now lol...I just did another sizeable haircut last night before I sprayed (aphids are trying to set up shop)
The big girl.by herself is black cherry punch, the two roomies are amnesia Lemon and Super Silver haze.

20220814 113608
20220814 113619
20220814 113717
Madmax

Madmax

Oh your grinning bud.they are nice and open.shouldnt have any problems with mold.if i have aphids i will use the spray soon as the suns down as doing it in the heat will damage your leaves.well most of the time it does.

They look good mate.đź‘Ť

TSD

TSD

Oh your grinning bud.they are nice and open.shouldnt have any problems with mold.if i have aphids i will use the spray soon as the suns down as doing it in the heat will damage your leaves.well most of the time it does.

They look good mate.đź‘Ť
Yeah I did it last night at sundown... probably hit them again tomorrow. Life has been busy and I have not been giving them as much attention as I would like.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

So my girls are in early flower, I'm trying to defoliate for airflow purposes and to have less popcorn buds... I've given them 4 or 5 major haircuts, both small branches and some leaves... but they grow new sprouts every damn time. I knew they would do this in veg, but we're heading into flower and they still refuse to stop pushing out new shoots when I clip shit off. My question is this... am I doing more harm than good continually removing sprouts from the same area, like am I just wasting thier energy? Usually I don't do too much in the way of defoliation other than a few lower branches and dying leaves, so I'm not sure if this is normal? I really want the energy to go to starting those buds, as I feel a little behind compared to other years, though maybe not... stop sprouting new foliage and bud you stubborn bitches! Should I just stop defoliation all together? Really trying to avoid a mold shit show, but they just refuse to be thinned out. Haven't updated my diary in over a month cause life got in the way...oh well.
@Moe.Red @Aqua Man
@Madmax
Can u post pics?

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

About your post...you def have the rite idea and keep in mind these plants are just doin their thing! GROWING
I personally pull a yellowish leaf or 2 when I'm out there but your rite about doing more harm than good. Every time u fuck w themn ur stressing em out. When they get cut they're stressing, wounded, and trying to recover. So like a triple whaammmy!
What I'll do is let em go as long as possible & dedicate a day to it. Less stress & less healing time as opposed to them ALWAYS healing.
Medical Growers Bible by Jorge Cervantes breaks it dwn way better. Also explains where to trim, tertiary branches and etc!!
It's worth having around

Latest posts

Top Bottom