Plants too tall during flower stretch HELP

• Thread starter sonnyexotics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sonnyexotics

Hey y’all! New grower.

I’m running Gush Mints from clone. I’m on day 14 of flower and I vegged too long (30 days). I topped a week before flipping and completely forgot the flower stretch. I’m 2 weeks into flower and now I have my cola sites not to far from my light. I’m running Luxx 630w CMH lights. On the highest setting. Cannot dim them since I don’t have a controller for it. I have super cropped them and tried to control the growth with trellis but it is not helping. Literally keep stretching. I’m thinking about topping all the tall ones closest to the lights. I bent a lot of them to the outside but I feel they won’t get light because they’ll be above the light itself. I know it’ll reduce yield since I’m cutting off budsites but I’d rather do that than getting bleached or burnt or not enough light. I can try raising the light a couple inches but I need to raise my table a couple inches to install a drain so that wouldn’t really make a difference unless I can get a taller tent which I can’t afford at the moment. What do you guys think? Should I top?
Plants too tall during flower stretch help

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I'd consider removing half the plants and supercropping the remaining plants to fill the space and halve the height.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Hey y’all! New grower.

I’m running Gush Mints from clone. I’m on day 14 of flower and I vegged too long (30 days). I topped a week before flipping and completely forgot the flower stretch. I’m 2 weeks into flower and now I have my cola sites not to far from my light. I’m running Luxx 630w CMH lights. On the highest setting. Cannot dim them since I don’t have a controller for it. I have super cropped them and tried to control the growth with trellis but it is not helping. Literally keep stretching. I’m thinking about topping all the tall ones closest to the lights. I bent a lot of them to the outside but I feel they won’t get light because they’ll be above the light itself. I know it’ll reduce yield since I’m cutting off budsites but I’d rather do that than getting bleached or burnt or not enough light. I can try raising the light a couple inches but I need to raise my table a couple inches to install a drain so that wouldn’t really make a difference unless I can get a taller tent which I can’t afford at the moment. What do you guys think? Should I top?
Man I wish I had some good advice!
I do really want to know how this turns out.
I am on my first grow and did not believe the hype about plants doubling height after the switch and now mine are getting close to the lights as well, I also have a trellis.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey y’all! New grower.

I’m running Gush Mints from clone. I’m on day 14 of flower and I vegged too long (30 days). I topped a week before flipping and completely forgot the flower stretch. I’m 2 weeks into flower and now I have my cola sites not to far from my light. I’m running Luxx 630w CMH lights. On the highest setting. Cannot dim them since I don’t have a controller for it. I have super cropped them and tried to control the growth with trellis but it is not helping. Literally keep stretching. I’m thinking about topping all the tall ones closest to the lights. I bent a lot of them to the outside but I feel they won’t get light because they’ll be above the light itself. I know it’ll reduce yield since I’m cutting off budsites but I’d rather do that than getting bleached or burnt or not enough light. I can try raising the light a couple inches but I need to raise my table a couple inches to install a drain so that wouldn’t really make a difference unless I can get a taller tent which I can’t afford at the moment. What do you guys think? Should I top? View attachment 1267626
View attachment 1267627
Bend them over and tie down to your net. Squeeze them where you want to bend wiggle a bit until flexable and lay them flat. They'll try to stand up again by tomorrow. Try it on one branch then after you're comfortable with the process bend them all over.

sambapati

sambapati

Man I wish I had some good advice!
I do really want to know how this turns out.
I am on my first grow and did not believe the hype about plants doubling height after the switch and now mine are getting close to the lights as well, I also have a trellis.
You have to bend the plants, not top them now. You need wooden skewers, wine corks, garden wire to train the plants and tie them up so each branch has a specific pathway. When I look at your grow it would take me some bamboo, an electric drill some toothpicks, pipe cleaners and squeezing and bending branches and 2 hours to get it right. All the plants need to be specifically pushed into the best spot and then anchored. Meanwhile when the develop some buds all the buds can rest on the corks/bamboo. Take a look at my grow and you can see all of the above being used. Same idea as English climber roses. Yes, giant ganja plants taking over your grow -- I sense a movie here

sambapati

sambapati

Bend them over and tie down to your net. Squeeze them where you want to bend wiggle a bit until flexable and lay them flat. They'll try to stand up again by tomorrow. Try it on one branch then after you're comfortable with the process bend them all over.
Bend 'em over and tie em down and out. I'm trying to provide room for all these side buds on my 3 plants that are developing sticky ickie and snow at 21 days. Going to save all the stalks because they make excellent scaffolding for the plants. Meanwhile the tallest bud is only 13" from the light, but haven't heard any complaints.

S

sonnyexotics

That's what I'm doing, I'm going to wait it out and keep bending them but literally the branches from underneath pop up and start stretching

S

sonnyexotics

Honestly if super cropping doesn't help, I'll just remove a bulb and run it at 315w

Realthiiinker

Realthiiinker

Hey all. Second time grower here, and I also have a height concern. My tent is a baby compared to others. 2x2x4 ft. I have just the one gelato auto inside, and it's trying to burst out of it! I think I'm 7 weeks into the grow and my girl doubled in size when it started flowering. I did some lst the first couple of weeks, but I'm stumped on any more training. I just dont have an inch of space anywhere! I've already removed the exhaust fan and top mounted it to make more room to raise my little 100w led light. I'm not even sure if the light is strong enough to burn or even harm my plant. But, in a few days the main cola will more than likely make contact with the light board. I'm open to any criticism, so dont go easy on me. Please help. I'm not really sure how to get growers to see this post and reply. So please tag a friend if you could. Thank you!
20221205 112310
20221205 112350

Realthiiinker

Realthiiinker

#Habosabin you still on? You're pretty much the only person who would give me advice w my first grow. Needing insight again! Hope you're well.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey all. Second time grower here, and I also have a height concern. My tent is a baby compared to others. 2x2x4 ft. I have just the one gelato auto inside, and it's trying to burst out of it! I think I'm 7 weeks into the grow and my girl doubled in size when it started flowering. I did some lst the first couple of weeks, but I'm stumped on any more training. I just dont have an inch of space anywhere! I've already removed the exhaust fan and top mounted it to make more room to raise my little 100w led light. I'm not even sure if the light is strong enough to burn or even harm my plant. But, in a few days the main cola will more than likely make contact with the light board. I'm open to any criticism, so dont go easy on me. Please help. I'm not really sure how to get growers to see this post and reply. So please tag a friend if you could. Thank you!View attachment 1308845View attachment 1308846
Same advice as the last time, you should bend them over, I do it in veg, I have these 2 plants a Gelato and A GG#4 I haven't had room to flower. I kept them stunted in 1 gal pots but after transplanting into 3 gal they took off and out grew my room so still not having room to flower them I bent them over. here's pics

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I'm open to any criticism, so dont go easy on me. Please help.
Training is tough once flower starts. Sounds like you've got the light as high as you can, so now all you can do is try to get the top buds lower. It's tough to LST or supercrop at this point...the stems are probably too stiff. I'd try to pull the side branches out wider with string or weights and maybe do a "too tall lean" on the main stem. The good news is that it will stop gaining altitude around the end of week three of flower and start bulking. For future grows, you want to start training early and often, and time your flip so you don't overgrow your space. I train my plants pretty low and wide, and I aim for about 60% coverage of the flowering footprint (viewed from above) as the signal to flip. I'm probably on the more extreme end of low and wide, but you'll get the idea with this pic.

Artful Codger F5 2
sambapati

sambapati

Training is tough once flower starts. Sounds like you've got the light as high as you can, so now all you can do is try to get the top buds lower. It's tough to LST or supercrop at this point...the stems are probably too stiff. I'd try to pull the side branches out wider with string or weights and maybe do a "too tall lean" on the main stem. The good news is that it will stop gaining altitude around the end of week three of flower and start bulking. For future grows, you want to start training early and often, and time your flip so you don't overgrow your space. I train my plants pretty low and wide, and I aim for about 60% coverage of the flowering footprint (viewed from above) as the signal to flip. I'm probably on the more extreme end of low and wide, but you'll get the idea with this pic.
Artful -- you're not kidding with the training regime! Love the idea of making the plants do curls with the 5 lb weight -- keep the ladies fit.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Artful -- you're not kidding with the training regime! Love the idea of making the plants do curls with the 5 lb weight -- keep the ladies fit.
Just trying to keep the canopy flat. Hopefully, they can't get the weight off the ground...😁

Top Bottom