plasma light

• Thread starter risen1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

risen1

Premium Member
Supporter
anyone on here have any info on plasmas... i was looking at ... are these the reall deal plasmas... im thinking of getting the Solar Genesis II Chameleon... the claims are high so is the price but if there better than hid and cut the heat and last 7 years(even 5yrs) im willing to try...

D

DX1

Plasma Lighting WILL revolutionize grow lighting

When microwave ovens were new they cost like $2000 -that's 2000 1978 dollars for an Amana Radar-Range. Now they are $59 at your local Wal-China-Import-Mart store. While Plasma Grow Lights will not find the same penetration into everybody's home like the microwave oven, if there was some mass production, the price would surely come down to a reasonable level. Check out www.plasma-i.com for some info about Microwave-Sulfur Plasma Lights. Nasa was experimenting with Plasma lights back in 1994 -for plant growth onboard the space shuttle.
Check out these cucumbers grown by the Plasma International people -This is about 30 days -see the pic with no vegitation which is a few days after they were tiny seedlings.
The article can be seen here: Truley amazing, cutting edge research going on.
Beats the hell out of the present state of LED's (which are showing some serious progress -Give 'em a few years)

1 feb c
16 jan b
Feb 7 Plasma International
beezleb878

beezleb878

I understand they are great for veg but poor for flower.

D

DX1

Plasma

From what I understand they are experimenting with different "fills" besides sulfur -Lithium dioxide, copper dioxide & some "proprietary" chemical that one of the manufacturers is using to enhance the spectrum.
The plasma lamps supposedly have a really good lifespan -even better than LED's & have only lost like 1% over 50,000 hours. They also have no electrodes to detiriorate & no chemical reactions going on & can be started over and over with no loss of performance -no problems with hot starts, etc. With the LED looking like it will eventually be a viable alternative to HID for almost all lighting, including grow lights -the small amount of R&D into plasma lighting might not progress very quickly although it looks promising. The initial cost is high & the LED is progressing something like: double brightness and half the cost every two years -At that rate the LED could eventually be real competition for HID lights in greenhouse and indoor growing. The LED grow light industry has been damaged by inaccurate claims by manufacturers for so long that it may take a while for some of us to take the seriously.
Here's one of the rediculous claims from Everlight's GL Flora LED Grow Lights:
"Proven to grow faster and stronger than under sun light"
If that isn't a bunch of poop... Source=
It will be interesting to see what comes of Plasma lighting in the next decade (and LED too for that matter).
You can buy a Plasma grow light from Plasma International -500 to 1300 watts, 163,000 lm @ 140 lm/watt, air cooled -The lamp itself is the size of a golf ball! Has a microwave shield the size of a small coffee can.
Check it out here: http://www.plasma-i.com/sulphur-plasma-light.htm
Watch the YouTube video too. I don't see a price on the page but I thought I had read somewhere that the AS1300 is $2500 (Ouch!) -A lot of loot but it sure would be a great conversation piece! And if it's not good for budding it would be nice for veg -starting out @ 500 & increasing to 1300W Grow some serious trees.
If anyone buys one of these be sure and post some results... It's a lot of money but probably a better spent $2500 than the everlight LED's would be!

solor-sim.jpg

R

risen1

Premium Member
Supporter
nice info... thanks.... im not really intrested in the leds but the plasma has my eye... i kno its costly but money likes to burn tru my pockets so i dont mind... i found a side by side test on utube and looks alright http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDT057guDc&feature=related... im just wondering if its a waste of money/time...

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I really hope that Plasmas are the next big thing. I hope they work. I know in auto they are starting to use them in spark plugs and those have been proven better. There has to be something better than HID's in the future. Plasma seems like it will work, they just need more time on getting it right.

Cultiv8r

Cultiv8r

Plasma light will blow LED out of the water. It's scientifically sound as a better wavelength for growth.

R

risen1

Premium Member
Supporter
i just dont want to down grade.... would these be just as good or better?

T

tomsawyer

can't get something for nothing. Keep that in mind. We're talking energy out > energy in. I hear people saying Lumens don't matter, well that's just BS. Its a measurement of energy output which measure what's available to the plant. Spectrum is second to energy/power output/input into plant. period.

los0420

los0420

plasma lights are the only lights that even come close to the real spectrum of the sun they are suppose to blow all other lights away in growth both in veg and flower

AlwaysSunny

AlwaysSunny

plasma lights are the only lights that even come close to the real spectrum of the sun they are suppose to blow all other lights away in growth both in veg and flower

except no one can afford them so no one will buy them without seeing results :smiley_joint:

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

can't get something for nothing. Keep that in mind. We're talking energy out > energy in. I hear people saying Lumens don't matter, well that's just BS. Its a measurement of energy output which measure what's available to the plant. Spectrum is second to energy/power output/input into plant. period.

O Really?! Ok so I think I am going to order 5 1000 watt green bulbs and hang em vertically to grow some serious trees!!! Yeah man because energy and lumens is all that matters!! Fuck spectrum it is second to energy output and 1000 watts is 1000 watts is 1000 watts right! :Facepalm:

ttystikk

ttystikk

LED has limitations, including the fact that they don't lend themselves well to moving light source applications, and the fact that they're pretty focused beam with very little sideshine.

Plasma has fascinating implications as a light source that would pair well with a light rotator, since it's a 360 degree shine. I'm very interested in how this new technology evolves.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I am securing two gavita lep 300s to pair with a gavita pro 1000 hid.

Threads will be running as soon as I take delivery from gavita.

Z

ziggy1

would love to see the gavita results without the hid. that way you could really tell how the spectrum for flowering is. The video of the gavita lep is really bright though

ttystikk

ttystikk

It's the spectrum!! It's always the spectrum!!

O Really?! Ok so I think I am going to order 5 1000 watt green bulbs and hang em vertically to grow some serious trees!!! Yeah man because energy and lumens is all that matters!! Fuck spectrum it is second to energy output and 1000 watts is 1000 watts is 1000 watts right! :Facepalm:

LOL- Boy, did you hit the nail on the head there, iscrog! 'Some people you just cain't reach...' The whole reason LED is more efficient than HID is because of spectrum improvements, geez.

I'm pretty interested in the plasma lighting too, and I'm really most interested because of their full spectrum output. Rather than fiddle with a low watt version, I'd like to see how this tech scales up to 1000W of actual usage. Go head to head with HID with similar wattage and see which does better?

Top Bottom