Please Explain Flowering Dates

• Thread starter jigglybones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jigglybones

How do you count days flowering? I know if I grow from seed, I look for preflowers. Is this the point at which you say, "Okay, this is day one"?

Also, if I'm growing a clone, and I put it into flowering, is the first night considered day one of flowering?

thanks friends

L

Lost

A few questions.

1. Outdoor or Indoor?

2. If outdoor, consult a farmers almanac for your area. If indoor, then 1st day of flowering is the 1st day you have the lights at 12/12.

Hope that helps!!

B

BayArea

Most growers start flowering time when pre-flowers and stigmas show. This applies to clones also - although they may go through a breif period of stress as they have to switch hormonal and growth processes. This change is normally not any issue w/ larger plants and barely one w/ clones. I only mention it because w/ accurate flowering time prediction regarding clones it's wise to add a few days to compansate.

B

BETA

If its indoor you can control how it grows, So if you keep the lights on 24/7 for as long as you want and that will veg the plant out, Then the 1st day of flowering is like what ^^ he said, When your plants receive 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness a day.

P

Potato

So 'if I veg 5 week then . I gave the plants 14/10 3days then 13/11 3days then when to 12/12 days . By the way no signs of stress (something I had to try)and they were showing good signs by the 5th day of lite change. I should count flowering time to the first day of lite change, right?? When I changed the lite time I changed the lighting . From 4 tube flor. to 400hps and 3 tube cpf total lumen 67,000and 735 watts light or 1600 watts equal. We are growing 6 plants. First grow in a long time . Hope this will work .. Day 3 of 12/12 all are growing well. Later Potato PS thanks for all the help and the forum is just fun to read also ... ;);)

0MEGA

excuse me if im wrong, but i thought you count flowering from when it shows gender, not when you switch lights.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
It goes both ways, some use the day you flip the lights and some use the day you show preflower.

Breeder typically will use the preflower method becasuse it makes their strains look like real fast finishers to the customers buying the seeds...how many 50-55 days strains are out there according to the breeders info? alot...so a 55-60 day breeder boast, alot of times is actually 60-70 days if ya started when you flip the lights.

I like to flower then till they are done, days in flower, time of the year, how many days in flower don't mean anything if the plant isn't finished.

Tex

A

adam

i hafta agree with texaskid on this.wait till your girls tell ya they are ready

S

space101

ok so I should take the OGK that I have in Flowering and put them back into veg?

They've been in 12/12 for 17 days and have yet to show any preflowers, i'm checking every day.

So should I ride it out, and then start counting flowering days when they actually show preflowers?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
ok so I should take the OGK that I have in Flowering and put them back into veg?

They've been in 12/12 for 17 days and have yet to show any preflowers, i'm checking every day.

So should I ride it out, and then start counting flowering days when they actually show preflowers?

17 days into flower and no signs of preflowers? Gotta ask 2 questions. Is your room completely dark during lights off? How long did they veg?

dlovejah

dlovejah

17 days into flower and no signs of preflowers? Gotta ask 2 questions. Is your room completely dark during lights off? How long did they veg?
Howdy.. Yah Im with Jadin.. 17 days under 12/12 and no preflowers.. I wait untill all my plants have shown sex in veg(18/6) but even if you launched your plants real young after that much time they should show sex unless your growing some straight up Sativa.. Also most of the breeder recomendations on flower times are under what most growers like to chop.. YOull learn eventually that your plants tell you when they are done.. Good luck brother... dlj:rastadancing::rastadancing::rastadancing:

B

BayArea

Do not reveg your plants - have some patience. Re-veging them will lead to uni-foliate and tri-foliate growth followed by irregular growing shoots. As Jadins said, make sure dark is 100% dark and light is strong and sufficient during "lights on". Once in a 12/12 cycle, a plant will show stigmas and substancial bud sites. This is when to start the Flowering time-clock. A 56 day strain typically is under 12/12 for a week or 2 prior to count down. Your feeding scheduale should also lean more to a flowering program also. They may just be taking some extra time if they had some heavy N feedings and were in a strong vegitative environment. Patience man, it'll all work out..........

S

space101

Gotta ask 2 questions. Is your room completely dark during lights off? How long did they veg?

Yes it's actually a cabinet, and it's completely light proof. They vegged for 40 days from seed.

They may just be taking some extra time if they had some heavy N feedings and were in a strong vegitative environment. Patience man, it'll all work out..........

Yeah Bayarea, I think your right they were in a strong veg environment a 2 sq ft cabinet with 100 watts of MH, so it maybe taking them some extra time to flip over internally.

Thanks for eveyone's input.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
40 days from seed is not close to sexual maturity yet so your probably not goin to see any flowers at all in flower for these babies. Most plants need a good 6 to 8 in veg before they are evn ready to flower and most will show preflower in veg in ubder the 8-10 week veg time most go before tossing them into flower of 12/12 light.

I am really not sure if they will ever come around when you pput them into flower proiior to maturity but some people start Sativas under staright 12/12 from seed with a little success but not much....clones are a different story.

Tex

Z

zoeronerer

It goes both ways, some use the day you flip the lights and some use the day you show preflower.

Breeder typically will use the preflower method becasuse it makes their strains look like real fast finishers to the customers buying the seeds...how many 50-55 days strains are out there according to the breeders info? alot...so a 55-60 day breeder boast, alot of times is actually 60-70 days if ya started when you flip the lights.

I like to flower then till they are done, days in flower, time of the year, how many days in flower don't mean anything if the plant isn't finished.

Tex

pick em wen they done!!!! things fluctuate sometimes best to just use the scope and let nature go for it.
tex is rite .

S

space101

Well I'm happy to report that..."I GOT HOES", I guess I was merely being impatient. So many of you were dead on about the plants not being mature. If I count all the days it was in veg (40 days) and 12/12 (18 days) gives us 58 days total it was vegging. Kinda sucks for yield as they could have been getting an additional 4 hrs a day. But you live and learn.

S

Smokin

Jorge Cervantes recommends in Marijuana Horticulture (indoor medical marijuana growers bible) that you black out (total darkness) for first 36 hours when transitioning photoperiods from 18/6 or 24 veg, to 12/12 flower as alert / introducing the plants to change.

Based on that, I have always done this… yet I have no comparisons / references to support the benefits. I do not have enough experience to pretend to be an authority. Just thought I would add this as a side note to this thread and hope some experienced growers will comment…?

Latest posts

Top Bottom