Please help a hydro newb...

• Thread starter ILikeKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ILikeKush

Auto

The only reason I'm so set on an automatic system like aero is because I'm currently and engineer at Michigan and what I'm looking to do is start building and programming hydroponic systems that pretty much grow themselves.

This is why I'm trying to start with a dro or aero system because I need to get as much experience as possible in a short time so I know what classes to take ect.

Sorry this probably would have been good info at the beginning but I didn't know I was going to start getting so much heat to start simpler. I need to learn how to grow with a hydroponic system more than I need to learn how to grow marijuana. But I mean, I love weed so what better plant to grow.

K

kuz

If its got to be Aeroponic check what another_sellout did here.

Its looks so clean and simple I'll probably try it someday.
If you really want to get serious look at what tree farmer does.

You will need the engineering skills to pull that off, and a lot of time and money to figure things out. Never seen anything like those roots. Tree farmer has a thread on another site, he goes into more details, its long though, I never made it through. NASA has done a lot of research into High Pressure Aeroponics, everything you need, why dont you see if you can access that info. I dont think you will find a good manual for HP aero, your going to have to make your own way.

S

strictlyHYDROid

If its got to be Aeroponic check what another_sellout did here.

Its looks so clean and simple I'll probably try it someday.
If you really want to get serious look at what tree farmer does.

You will need the engineering skills to pull that off, and a lot of time and money to figure things out. Never seen anything like those roots. Tree farmer has a thread on another site, he goes into more details, its long though, I never made it through. NASA has done a lot of research into High Pressure Aeroponics, everything you need, why dont you see if you can access that info. I dont think you will find a good manual for HP aero, your going to have to make your own way.
kuz , i like this thread link
i think this is going to be my next build
but have it conjoined in a single system but layed out as a coliseum
what do you think
i just noticed alot of empty space that could be filled out with more heads
to why im favoring more towards the coliseum style

B

Buddy Flowers

Farm This- can you talk more about your frip system please? how long per cycle and how many times per day? any pre treatment or soaking of the rockwool cubes?

D

Disco Duck

Hey strictlyHYDROid, I found a nice aero system. It's called the rainforest 66 or something? 6 plant sites, 6" diameter pots. Mind googling it real quick and telling me what you think?

This link is to my "help me I'm a newb thread". I am using a Rainforest 66 and I love it. It really is a supercharged system DWC with Aeroponics above the water line. It also squeezes 6 plants into a small area effeciently. I wouldn't trade it for anything in a small area (3'x3' or so, like a tent).

The only real negative is that it is not easy to access the resivior. Once the plants are any decent size you have to take out the Vortex Sprayer to access the resivior. This means shutting it down, taking it out, and kneeling near it holding the pen in the water to take readings. It has a port to add water and nutes, so you only have to do this to take readings. So you really want to get continuous monitoring with a Rainforest because checking the water with a pen is difficult.

Also keep in mind that you will probably need to do something to chill the water. You can throw frozen water bottles in the res, but the access problem makes that more work than it sounds like. I modified my Rainforest with a chiller... but a chiller costs more than the Rainforest:-)

Skim the thread I linked above, it should have a lot of info that will help you. I even listed everything I had to buy in one of the posts, and how much it all cost me.

U

upperhydro

Easy Monitoring

Go to a 'Farm Co-op' or similar and buy some large (60 cc or larger) Syringes (no needles needed), attach a length of 1/4" OD Tube to the Syringe. Drill a 5/16" hole into you rez. Insert the tube into the 5/16" hole and 'pull a sample' to test for pH and Conductivity. After testing, rig a 'cover' over the 'sample port' to keep light out. I've used black plastic tapped on one side or 'shiny duct tape'. It's the easiest way I've found with DWC.
I'm starting a new grow location in the next month or so. New everything, except buckets. In 25 grows, I've never lost a plant or had under 1.5# per plant 'DRY HARVEST BUDS'. I've been limited to 6 feet tall in the past.
Good luck,
upperhydro

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

Just make sure If you do decide to use am aero system that your pump doesn't go out,
for the sake of all your plants.
Ive had a couple homies lose a couple batches because the stupid pump failed on them. And a good investment you most def need is a good ac unit, the more the better or so i like to say.

Imho my ladies are way to valuable to be relying on a pump to feed them 24/7
equipment will be equipment and eventually break down im just one of those people who cant afford that to happen. Just my 2 cents

But personally i make my tables from scratch with pretty much everything from home depot. What I like about them is you can totally size it to your needs. make a 4x4 a 4x8 a 4x16 a 3x3 whatev the skys the limit lol There basically a piece of plywood with plastic to water proof it, with support under(basically a wall lol),legs, and wheels to move around lol pretty sexy i must say. I just put I wanna say "water guards" 12''x4''ft pieces of ply. on the ends and 12''x8ft on one end. I then cover the top with the black painters 6ml thick folded in half on top staple down ends then put the corregated plastic on top all pointed to one direction (with the 1 inch tilt you put on the table with the legs). Put your plastic rain gutters attached to the side 2x4 to catch the water and make a spot where you want the water to fall into the res. I then rig it up with top feed 1/2 tube lines around and 1/4 tubes connected with a 1/4 tube to each plant. Put the nets up and your done

And I can Pull a 4ftx16ft tray with one 40 gal res. I love it 4 lights one res plain n simple.
You need like 12 2x4's each 4x8 tray added it up with pump tubing wood nets it cost about 150 bucks each 4x8 but like i said they are some sexy trays:rastadancing:

Im gonna try to get the pics up tonight to change your mind muahahahaha

Just keepin It Green-The Doc :boogie:

D

Disco Duck

The pump isn't as big of an issue with a DWC/Aero system like a Rainforest. I forgot to put it back in after checking the water once and it went 24 hours with no pump. I didn't notice anything unusual with the plants at all. The roots were still all in the water. My guess is the DO had gone down to bad levels, but the plants were fine for that 24 hours with no pump.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

whats up a fellow hydro MI grower here!

i run ebb and grow and have a home made aero unit as well. getting ready to run my first DWC bucket in a few weeks.

simplicity is soil, soiless or coco in 5 gal buckets. (active) hydro simplicity would be ebb and flow or DWC to many parts in aero to call it simple IMO.

you really have two different objectives here so i'll give my 2 cents broken down by both.

if you are looking to engineer a system RDWC is the wave of the future look at the MPB or Under Current section of the site and see for yourself.

if you are looking to construct a grow room with a $2,000 budget with a 12 plant total count limit to get the most bang for your buck thats simple i dont think aero would be the way to go. most aero systems are for growing lots of smaller plants. in a 5 gal bucket running DWC, RDWC or even soil you can get much bigger plants then you will be able to in a aero system (at least the ones in your price range) which will result in better yields. look at the guys on here pulling the biggest harvest (Jack texas etc) and you will notice they are running RDWC.

i'd either do a DIY RDWC or do a ebb and flow setup personally when considering start up costs, simplicity objective and being a new grower who wants to go hydro. at the end of the day do what feels right no one here knows your abilities as well as you do. I've got tons of good info from people online but had i listened to the advice i got when i started i would have never got into hydro. i started off with big dreams and a big room with a Ebb and Grow. it was alot more work then starting in soil but i was ready for the challenge and the outcome was worth it!

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i meant to say when talking about the people here with the biggest yields to really say look at the people with the limitless budgets like Jack and Texas because the kind of money the spend on setup's if there was a commercial aero system that could outperform the GPW of RDWC with the same number of plants and the same simplicity they would own them.

D

Disco Duck

I'm a new grower, but the type who always reads the instructions and have spent literally months reading and learning about growing. I'd agree, from what I've seen in pictures and read, that Under Current is the best system. Even if you are not growing trees, UC just seems to be the best system from just about every angle you look at it. If I ever expand to growing more than 6 plants in a 4x4 tent I would definately use some type of UC system.

But the original poster here is on the right track if he is in a small space like an appartment like I am. If you aren't going to DIY then a Rainforest in a 4x4 tent is pretty tough to beat in terms of price, use of space, and quality.

S

strictlyHYDROid

whats up a fellow hydro MI grower here!

i run ebb and grow and have a home made aero unit as well. getting ready to run my first DWC bucket in a few weeks.

simplicity is soil, soiless or coco in 5 gal buckets. (active) hydro simplicity would be ebb and flow or DWC to many parts in aero to call it simple IMO.

you really have two different objectives here so i'll give my 2 cents broken down by both.

if you are looking to engineer a system RDWC is the wave of the future look at the MPB or Under Current section of the site and see for yourself.

if you are looking to construct a grow room with a $2,000 budget with a 12 plant total count limit to get the most bang for your buck thats simple i dont think aero would be the way to go. most aero systems are for growing lots of smaller plants. in a 5 gal bucket running DWC, RDWC or even soil you can get much bigger plants then you will be able to in a aero system (at least the ones in your price range) which will result in better yields. look at the guys on here pulling the biggest harvest (Jack texas etc) and you will notice they are running RDWC.

i'd either do a DIY RDWC or do a ebb and flow setup personally when considering start up costs, simplicity objective and being a new grower who wants to go hydro. at the end of the day do what feels right no one here knows your abilities as well as you do. I've got tons of good info from people online but had i listened to the advice i got when i started i would have never got into hydro. i started off with big dreams and a big room with a Ebb and Grow. it was alot more work then starting in soil but i was ready for the challenge and the outcome was worth it!

+props man , well said

S

strictlyHYDROid

my set up is revolved around mass production
you'll only see my plants grow a foot tall yield only a ounce
per plant
live only 9-10 weeks
2 weeks propagation , 8 weeks budding
but times that by 70 plants
ill pull 70 ounces give or take every 9-10 weeks
using only 2 lights
all up costing me roughly $2000 to build