Please Help Cannabutter Seperates From Sugar

• Thread starter harvestman4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

harvestman4

I could use some advise,
I used 150g of sugar too 250g of normal butter and I got awesome toffee.
I did everything the same with cannabutter
150g sugar 250g cannabutter(14g nice bud)
It boils up and seperates.
I wasted 3/4 of good bud because of this.
Do I need corn syrup with the cannabutter too stop the sugar separating and crystallizing.
Please help cannabutter seperates from sugar
Please help cannabutter seperates from sugar 2

Nugg

Nugg

Idk.anything.....but I stopped making butter once I learned to make wax/ oil....it seems to mix better and more versatile..

H

harvestman4

Partially cook/cool the sugar down to caramel then add canabutter, then slowly reheat to combine
I tried this and it still ends up with the sugar lumping even worse. After I get the sugar too 290 and cool it too 240 adding the butter fucks it.
I tried heating the butter too 240 and the sugar too 290 cooling the sugar and then adding butter and that was even more fucked.
Most of the recipes I have read they have half cup water and corn syrup I read corn syrup stops crystallization of sugar and helps keep things smooth and together plus the water would stop things from heating unevenly, non of that was required for the normal toffee but I guess the cannabutter probably heats faster than the sugar causing the separation.
I just wish I had of used the leaf trim rather than pure bud.. I have had top throw away 21g :(

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I tried this and it still ends up with the sugar lumping even worse. After I get the sugar too 290 and cool it too 240 adding the butter fucks it.
I tried heating the butter too 240 and the sugar too 290 cooling the sugar and then adding butter and that was even more fucked.
Most of the recipes I have read they have half cup water and corn syrup I read corn syrup stops crystallization of sugar and helps keep things smooth and together plus the water would stop things from heating unevenly, non of that was required for the normal toffee but I guess the cannabutter probably heats faster than the sugar causing the separation.
I just wish I had of used the leaf trim rather than pure bud.. I have had top throw away 21g :(
Yea I use blue agave syrup personally, sugar does crystallize faster , maybe addition of a binder like corn starch? I’ve done that to non canna recipes.. take a pinch

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I have a quick question about your butter process???? How do you make your butter? Am I following this correctly? First pic of toffee hardened and broken is good stuff and the green lumpy stuff is made with your cannabutter. Is the cannabutter strained really well? No vegetation left in there?

H

harvestman4

I have a quick question about your butter process???? How do you make your butter? Am I following this correctly? First pic of toffee hardened and broken is good stuff and the green lumpy stuff is made with your cannabutter. Is the cannabutter strained really well? No vegetation left in there?
Normal way of making butter boil it with bud in water and leave too seperate.
I did strain, I usually strain so its completely free of bits.
I didnt strain so well this time, there r lots of tiny riny little bits of weed in it u think this would be the cause?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Not expert in the matter, but the plant matter may have caused an adverse reaction during the process. Just a thought. Process of elimination. The only variable different from recipe to recipe. I would suggest a go with another batch of butter that is strained very well. I use cheesecloth. Not sure what you use to strain it, but I'm willing to bet the excess plant matter ruined the recipe. Did it at least turn out like a granola bar? Chewy or crunchy? Try consuming it?

H

harvestman4

Not expert in the matter, but the plant matter may have caused an adverse reaction during the process. Just a thought. Process of elimination. The only variable different from recipe to recipe. I would suggest a go with another batch of butter that is strained very well. I use cheesecloth. Not sure what you use to strain it, but I'm willing to bet the excess plant matter ruined the recipe. Did it at least turn out like a granola bar? Chewy or crunchy? Try consuming it?
I did try it's just like clumped sugar covered in butter it does the job but not very tasty.

I tried again and made new butter, and I decided too add some normal butter aswell also 3 table spoons of water
I used 50% normal butter with 50% cannabutter which I strained properly very very little too no bits.

I used a black sock too strain this time but I used leaves instead of bud for experiments.
It turned out alot better but I am still left with little separation.

Also I have drained 90% of the butter that had separated so what you see is a out 10% guesstimated.
20190404 174811

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I did try it's just like clumped sugar covered in butter it does the job but not very tasty.

I tried again and made new butter, and I decided too add some normal butter aswell also 3 table spoons of water
I used 50% normal butter with 50% cannabutter which I strained properly very very little too no bits.

I used a black sock too strain this time but I used leaves instead of bud for experiments.
It turned out alot better but I am still left with little separation.

Also I have drained 90% of the butter that had separated so what you see is a out 10% guesstimated.View attachment 864652
This is the butter or toffee? I'm not pro at candy making or such. If it isn't how you like, I guess try again. Lol. As long as the end product has the effects you want keep eating the mess ups. I've only made brownies or used directly on toast bagel, etc with my butter with great success. I've never added water to my butter as many recipes call for. Just decarb, combine ground material with amount of butter and simmer as low as possible for minimum of two hours keeping eye on temp during simmer. Never over 225°f. Just made a batch couple weeks ago. Half a teaspoon for light buzz. Full teaspoon on toast for GREAT body high.
From my understanding, when making a brittle or candy it has a lot to do with the temps during the process. If the cannabutter effects this, not sure what to suggest. I'm gonna do gummi bears with butter very soon.

H

harvestman4

This is the butter or toffee? I'm not pro at candy making or such. If it isn't how you like, I guess try again. Lol. As long as the end product has the effects you want keep eating the mess ups. I've only made brownies or used directly on toast bagel, etc with my butter with great success. I've never added water to my butter as many recipes call for. Just decarb, combine ground material with amount of butter and simmer as low as possible for minimum of two hours keeping eye on temp during simmer. Never over 225°f. Just made a batch couple weeks ago. Half a teaspoon for light buzz. Full teaspoon on toast for GREAT body high.
From my understanding, when making a brittle or candy it has a lot to do with the temps during the process. If the cannabutter effects this, not sure what to suggest. I'm gonna do gummi bears with butter very soon.
That's the toffee in picture. Only mess up that's been edible so far hahaha. Tbh I'm about fed up with this candy shit.
I think I'm just gonna make some rso and be done with it so much easier.
I'm also thinking of making canna capsules aswell soon, all means for me too stop smoking.
Need too be medicated all the time but I had lung surgery last year so I need too stop smoking 100%.
Look forward too seeing your gum bears hope you post recipe on here :).

Last edited:
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'm going to attempt a recipe I found on YouTube. This chill old hippie chic has a bunch of edibles made with butter. I was surprised to see gummies with butter. I have a good butter recipe so this was encouraging. I hear coconut oil is a good vehicle to fuse Cannabis with. If the recipe turns out, I'll be sure to post it up.

Jokefox

Jokefox

I know this thread is a year old but I want to explain the science incase someone else comes across this post.

Butter has water in it. It has a moisture content. When you do the butter in water method. (Boiling butter in water) then separate the butter from water after you strain, you are taking all the original water content out as well. Leaving you with 100% butter. Sugar wont dissolve in butter it needs that water content so it can properly do its thing.

Next time use non medicated butter to get the process started and then add medicated butter.

the rrock

the rrock

MBe2 for set it and forget it, pretty hard to screw it up and quality controlled

BudsAlive

BudsAlive

I strain my Canna butter through muslin, catches all the bits then a really really good squeeze out the cloth, then the liquid left goes in the fridge to seperate the water from butter, then tip watery liquid away, and your left with your butter,

Top Bottom