Please Help, Caterpillars Late Into Harvest

• Thread starter Lutador420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lutador420

Hello,

this is my first grow and I just noticed caterpillars late into harvest. I have 6 plants which I have been growing outdoors in 5 gallon pots under a 6x8 greenhouse. I'm at the end of flowering and recently started noticing a few sugar leaves turning brown. I mistakenly thought it was due to heat and as the plants were nearing harvest. However, upon further inspection I started noticing a few caterpillars and then looked inside the buds and started seeing their poop as well as some bud rot set in.

the bud rot doesn't look bad from the outside at all, however, I do see it inside near the trail of poop from the caterpillars. This is so disheartening, but live and learn. I noticed indicas were hit harder over the sativas. In any case, I flushed about 10 days and about to harvest tomorrow, last watering was a couple days ago.

I wanted your help on how I should harvest this crop and prepare it for drying. I already cut out several budlets that had the budrot, but was curious on if I should even keep the buds that have trails of caterpillar poop, or throw those away all together. Many buds, unfortunately have some sort of poop on them. I would say 50%... all except one plant, the tangie, had some type of poop trail.

My plan was to eliminate any buds with clear budrot and then for the remaining to do a wash using the 4 bucket method of water/hydrogen peroxide mix, lemon juice with baking soda mix and the remaining two buckets with water. I would only use the hydrogen peroxide mix with branches that had trails of poop or in which I removed any budrot. For those branches that didn't have trails of poop, I was going to just use the lemon juice/ baking soda mix and water buckets.

Please help, any advice on how to handle this crop and prepare for drying is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Randy

MW7945

MW7945

Got any pictures? I don't think many people here recommend washing buds. Unless you're going to make bubble hash.

CIRE408

CIRE408

Hello,

this is my first grow and I just noticed caterpillars late into harvest. I have 6 plants which I have been growing outdoors in 5 gallon pots under a 6x8 greenhouse. I'm at the end of flowering and recently started noticing a few sugar leaves turning brown. I mistakenly thought it was due to heat and as the plants were nearing harvest. However, upon further inspection I started noticing a few caterpillars and then looked inside the buds and started seeing their poop as well as some bud rot set in.

the bud rot doesn't look bad from the outside at all, however, I do see it inside near the trail of poop from the caterpillars. This is so disheartening, but live and learn. I noticed indicas were hit harder over the sativas. In any case, I flushed about 10 days and about to harvest tomorrow, last watering was a couple days ago.

I wanted your help on how I should harvest this crop and prepare it for drying. I already cut out several budlets that had the budrot, but was curious on if I should even keep the buds that have trails of caterpillar poop, or throw those away all together. Many buds, unfortunately have some sort of poop on them. I would say 50%... all except one plant, the tangie, had some type of poop trail.

My plan was to eliminate any buds with clear budrot and then for the remaining to do a wash using the 4 bucket method of water/hydrogen peroxide mix, lemon juice with baking soda mix and the remaining two buckets with water. I would only use the hydrogen peroxide mix with branches that had trails of poop or in which I removed any budrot. For those branches that didn't have trails of poop, I was going to just use the lemon juice/ baking soda mix and water buckets.

Please help, any advice on how to handle this crop and prepare for drying is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Randy
Wash them. I just washed a plant and I noticed no loss in trichomes and potency. Research it and you'll see that people will wash their buds just because they're outdoors. It makes sense. Dirt, bugs, and other stuff will be washed off. I think people that say don't do it have never done it. I have one that has caterpillar damage and I'm washing it for sure.

V

vinwill

Most caterpillars eat the leaves of plants and some will have preferences for younger or older leaves and even the flowers. If you delay in taking precautions. You will be seeing your plants dying because these caterpillars would not let them live. Using the methods you mentioned are some chemicals involved can harm your plants. My friend from CT was also going from the Same Problem. He has also planted the Plants for the First time. He had her friends who have nurseries. My friends plants were also infested as yours. He told his friends about it. They suggested him to call Exterminator Trumbull CT From yalepest.com/trumbull-pest-exterminators/, said they will help. They will properly Exterminate your Plants without harming the Growth and it really helped.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

bacillus thuringiensis needs to be a standard part of your IPM regimen when operating a greenhouse/outdoor grow.

Top Bottom