Please assist me? Ugh

• Thread starter ThatCrazyStonerChick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

For three decades strains have been bred under, and selected for performance under HPS lighting. That has to count for something, no?
I don't think any light just "gives" you any one thing. I still run sodium lighting because the best herb I've ever smoked was grown under HPS.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes I am well aware they were used prior to sodiums but that didn't stop people from swearing HPS was better or the "only way".. and they were half right, it is better for yield, it is however not better for quality & that is a well known fact now days & has been for a long time now.. mh= better quality, HPS = bigger yield but everyone & their brother would argue that wasn't the case back in the day.. fact is it was the case.. the highest potency buds come from MH when we are talking old school HID. Now the highest quality is coming from CMH bar none! But LED is king of yield with only a slight drop off in quality compared to CMH, for the best of the best you want LED & CHM just like back in the day if you wanted the best of the best you needed both MH & HPS in flower.. there is no debate & if you do debate it just block me because your "knowledge" is not knowledge thus is useless to me!

Lol. The differences in lighting to plants is mostly in growth not quality. I will say it again. Top quality weed can be grown under any decent grow light.

I thought the cmh made plants much more frosty. Really it just showed the frost better in its natural light. We blind tested ourselves and many others. No one could pick which was which reliably.

And before you tell me to block you. I dont do that. You are the one getting all worked up about a stupid grow light.

You are being exactly like the growers you put down in your comment but about led.

Use what you want. But you are not yielding more than my horribly outdated hps. And that fact leads me to believe my weed may be better too. I dont push plants or focus on yield. I use one bottle of base nutes sparingly.

Results are from many factors. And plants respond to amount of light much more than spectrum. Thats a fact.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Lol. The differences in lighting to plants is mostly in growth not quality. I will say it again. Top quality weed can be grown under any decent grow light.

I thought the cmh made plants much more frosty. Really it just showed the frost better in its natural light. We blind tested ourselves and many others. No one could pick which was which reliably.

And before you tell me to block you. I dont do that. You are the one getting all worked up about a stupid grow light.

You are being exactly like the growers you put down in your comment but about led.

Use what you want. But you are not yielding more than my horribly outdated hps. And that fact leads me to believe my weed may be better too. I dont push plants or focus on yield. I use one bottle of base nutes sparingly.

Results are from many factors. And plants respond to amount of light much more than spectrum. Thats a fact.

I 100% do not focus on yield at all, quality over quantity always! thus when magically I'm getting like 40% or 60% more per watt under leds right next to a sodium, without anything else different (other than the lights) its not a purple unicorn story... I wasn't at all trying to out yield the sodium. side by side on my very first LED run with a BS 480 watt chinese bar light I yielded the exact same thing that I yielded under the 1000 HPS.. 1.25lb's.. so tell me what I'm supposed to think? 1.25 lbs under 480 watts (510 at the wall) or 1.25 lbs under a 1000 watt HPS with a brand new Horti SHPS that draws much closer to 1100 at the wall... its illogical to not see there is a freaking HUGE difference in performance. You could not tell the difference between the 2 finished products either! Some strains I felt were slightly better under the sodium & some I thought were better under the LED... Lab tests show on bud that was grown under LED & bud grown under HPS are no where near the same, I have seen about 20 side by side lab results & HPS has yet to be better in CBD, THC, Terps ... nothing... again nothing... please look into this I am not BS'ing you... lab results do not lie! and I have yet to see lab results that has higher #'s for terps.. matter of fact LED grown weed creates terps that HPS can not produce. There is 1 single terp (cant remember which one tho) that is consistently higher on HPS grown bud but every other # on the lab results says LED is superior, by a lot most times too!

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Well said.
I didn't give a shit about any of this till I bought that first BS LED that my local grow store sold me for a song & thats the only reason I bought it, I was after parts to fix a ballast, he offered the light for $200.. I thought about it for all of 3 seconds & said Ok sure I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone with this led, put fixing the ballast on hold & get to get my hands dirty with LED finally (not that I had ever really even wanted an LED light before). It went right up & within 4 weeks I knew it was a winner, I never even dreamed I would yield the same as I would yield from a 1000 HPS, I would have lost a lot of $$ betting on that not being the case.. I thought LED really had to kinda suck, was so unaware on how damn good diffusion is when it comes to growing, I would have thought it would take COBs to even come close to HPS.. ha I was so wrong. more points of diffused light the better, the more spread the better, thats why the NextLight mega is great too, its nearly a 4x4' fixture with 1600 well spaced thus diffused diodes & those nextlights will fry plants, or well it sure fries the plants under it at the grow store..lol

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I 100% do not focus on yield at all, quality over quantity always! thus when magically I'm getting like 40% or 60% more per watt under leds right next to a sodium, without anything else different (other than the lights) its not a purple unicorn story... I wasn't at all trying to out yield the sodium. side by side on my very first LED run with a BS 480 watt chinese bar light I yielded the exact same thing that I yielded under the 1000 HPS.. 1.25lb's.. so tell me what I'm supposed to think? 1.25 lbs under 480 watts (510 at the wall) or 1.25 lbs under a 1000 watt HPS with a brand new Horti SHPS that draws much closer to 1100 at the wall... its illogical to not see there is a freaking HUGE difference in performance. You could not tell the difference between the 2 finished products either! Some strains I felt were slightly better under the sodium & some I thought were better under the LED... Lab tests show on bud that was grown under LED & bud grown under HPS are no where near the same, I have seen about 20 side by side lab results & HPS has yet to be better in CBD, THC, Terps ... nothing... again nothing... please look into this I am not BS'ing you... lab results do not lie! and I have yet to see lab results that has higher #'s for terps.. matter of fact LED grown weed creates terps that HPS can not produce. There is 1 single terp (cant remember which one tho) that is consistently higher on HPS grown bud but every other # on the lab results says LED is superior, by a lot most times too!

Yes it is well known now that led is more efficient and can produce more terpenes.

And cmh can get you up to 5% more thc from the included UVC

But the operative word is can. And the truth is these benefits are in diminishing returns.

And to answer your point again about your side by side. It does not sound like you have maximised your hps results. I have a small grow. I tend to every plant individually. That means if i want to move the plant up or down an inch I can. Whatever it takes to keep them as happy as possible.

And that kind of attentive gardening is what counts the most toward yield and quality.

And this is not a competition. Grow any way and whatever method you like. Only the results count. Not how you got there.

And i would still need more watts or a heater at lights on to use led in winter in my room. Its a big consideration.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Yes it is well known now that led is more efficient and can produce more terpenes.

But the operative word is can. And the truth is these benefits are in diminishing returns.

And to answer your point again about your side by side. It does not sound like you have maximised your hps results. I have a small grow. I tend to every plant individually. That means if i want to move the plant up or down an inch I can. Whatever it takes to keep them as happy as possible.

And that kind of attentive gardening is what counts the most toward yield and quality.

And this is not a competition. Grow any way and whatever method you like. Only the results count. Not how you got there.

And i would still need more watts or a heater at lights on to use led in winter in my room. Its a big consideration.
I hope you meant uvb... because uvc kills living anything & 0% UVC makes it to earths surface

I have always operated a rather large set up, back in the day it was 3 1000 MH & 6 430 son agro.. in more recent years its been 4 1000 HPS (tried running 2 MH & 2 HPS but kept having MH bulb failures (exploding) that never happened back in the day either, never 1 single time & within 3 months 3 exploded on us so the MH went bye bye & so did the overall quality of the bud. I am in no way impressed with HPS, I don't think it's terrible or anything but I have never been impressed with the overall quality, it's not like what mh hps combo use to give me. Terps are a big part of the medicinal side & if you get 0% limonene under HPS & you get .098% limonene under LED then the LED bud is way way way better medicine.. because limonene does affect the over all effects it has on your body just as CBN does. Thus you can not say they are in any way equal or that it doesn't matter because it 100% does matter! Not to mention the 2 points higher THC level which translates to 8% more thc

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Blue dream #'s HPS vs LED all other things equal, grown the same time & tested at the same time & the only thing to note positive for the HPS is the delta9% that is higher with HPS but only because the heat from the HPS converts THCA to delta9 on the plant much easier because of the additional heat it produces. but when you smoke it the thca is a precursor to delta9 & it converts as you smoke it. But 0% limenene in the HPS grown... but its just as good..lol not! Thats like handing someone an oxycontin minus the oxy, but claiming its just as good...lolololololol, sure buddy, sure it is

Screen Shot 2020 02 17 at 102917 PM
Screen Shot 2020 02 17 at 103022 PM
Screen Shot 2020 02 17 at 101332 PM
Screen Shot 2020 02 17 at 101412 PM
Screen Shot 2020 02 17 at 102335 PM
Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I hope you meant uvb... because uvc kills living anything & 0% UVC makes it to earths surface

I have always operated a rather large set up, back in the day it was 3 1000 MH & 6 430 son agro.. in more recent years its been 4 1000 HPS (tried running 2 MH & 2 HPS but kept having MH bulb failures (exploding) that never happened back in the day either, never 1 single time & within 3 months 3 exploded on us so the MH went bye bye & so did the overall quality of the bud. I am in no way impressed with HPS, I don't think it's terrible or anything but I have never been impressed with the overall quality, it's not like what mh hps combo use to give me. Terps are a big part of the medicinal side & if you get 0% limonene under HPS & you get .098% limonene under LED then the LED bud is way way way better medicine.. because limonene does affect the over all effects it has on your body just as CBN does. Thus you can not say they are in any way equal or that it doesn't matter because it 100% does matter! Not to mention the 2 points higher THC level which translates to 8% more thc

Yes I meant UVB. Wish i could still edit my typo.

Can we move on from this help thread?

Sorry OP.

FourthCity

FourthCity

All hid lamps emit uvc light but the glass is supposed block most of it. Its theorized that harmful nature of this light is what can prompt the plants response to defend itself with extra trichomes.
From Gavita
"High-Intensity Discharge light sources with lots of blue light, such as Metal Halide (MH) and Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH), emit UV light, including UVC. The user is partially shielded from this UV light by the UV blocking outer glass balloon that covers the arc tube. Depending on the material they made the glass from, a lot of UV can still be emitted from the lamp. These lamps are usually only suitable for closed fixtures, where the lens filters out the UV light. Lamps suitable for open fixtures are usually completely shielded with UV blocking glass."

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

All hid lamps emit uvc light but the glass is supposed block most of it. Its theorized that harmful nature of this light is what can prompt the plants response to defend itself with extra trichomes.
From Gavita
"High-Intensity Discharge light sources with lots of blue light, such as Metal Halide (MH) and Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH), emit UV light, including UVC. The user is partially shielded from this UV light by the UV blocking outer glass balloon that covers the arc tube. Depending on the material they made the glass from, a lot of UV can still be emitted from the lamp. These lamps are usually only suitable for closed fixtures, where the lens filters out the UV light. Lamps suitable for open fixtures are usually completely shielded with UV blocking glass."

I made a typo. It is UVB that promotes trichome growth and is blocked by glass or greenhouse coverings. UVC is harmful to plants and humans and blocked by the atmosphere and not in grow light spectrums. It is used to kill bacteria in sterilization purposes.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

next you will tell me just because my vette will beat the hell out of a ferrari in a race that it doesn't make the vette faster..lmao

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

I made a typo. It is UVB that promotes trichome growth and is blocked by glass or greenhouse coverings. UVC is harmful to plants and humans and blocked by the atmosphere and not in grow light spectrums. It is used to kill bacteria in sterilization purposes.
isn't it actually the range at the top end of uvb & the bottem end of uva if you actually go by the NM that all the main tests have been using, its like its not fully uva & not fully uvb. its like right in the middle between the 2 as I recall.. I'm not saying that is the best range I am saying that thats the range that all the tests I have seen used, a very specific wavelength

FourthCity

FourthCity

Yeah, not promoting uvc just pointing out that its there as well, at least according to some light manufacturers. I believe some of the studies looking into using uv found that uvb was the sweet spot in the wavelength for achieving positive results with marijuana while causing the least damage to the plants.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Yeah, not promoting uvc just pointing out that its there as well, at least according to some light manufacturers. I believe some of the studies looking into using uv found that uvb was the sweet spot in the wavelength for achieving positive results with marijuana while causing the least damage to the plants.
Try a 75%uvb 25% uva agro bulb on plants...lol. it will kill them or make them wish they were dead even at running only 10 minutes per hour it will... but the 10000k agro uva bulb doesn't kill them! Not at all so I think you have it backwards on which causes the least damage to plants!

Last edited:
maximusluminous

maximusluminous

plants can only handle like 1 watt of uvb per square meter from a uvb T5 (not 1 watt of uvb bulb because most bulbs have very low uvb output, maybe 3% of the overall output.

Top Bottom