Please help me with info on Pro-Mix HP!! I’m new to using this medium.

• Thread starter bigdaddybudmaker1990
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigdaddybudmaker1990

I am needing to know when to start feeding my seedlings and acquire and “special” tips that there may be with the use of this medium. Thanks!!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I am needing to know when to start feeding my seedlings and acquire and “special” tips that there may be with the use of this medium. Thanks!!
My recommendations are to mix about 20-25% compost/manure mixed in with a tablespoon of Osmokote and a few tablespoons of wood ashes. This mix will get you thru the first 6 weeks in general. I have been watering daily or every other day depending on the needs, and I feed about every 2 weeks. I use a general 20-20-20 fertilizer (1 tablespoon/gallon of water using Jack's fertilizer), but I'm considering using something less concentrated every week instead of a larger dose every few weeks. Some strains can be sensitive to higher levels of nutes, and the composition of mediums changes as time passes. In general, Phosphorus and Potassium tend to accumulate a little, so I am re-thinkinking my end of flowering needs.
How much or how often you need to feed them is largely dependent on how big they are, the size of your container, the amount of light, etc. I use 5 gallon buckets and 2x 1000w HID lighting. You might need more or less depending on your growing methods and style. I like to let my plants grow tall and large for an indoor grow, but that is just my way of doing it. If you have a small light and container, Promix is still great but the feeding needs to be scaled back toaccomodate the variables. How big are your seedlings and what is your grow setup like? In Promix, you shouldn't need to add anything for the first month or more... if you add manure and stuff, you don't need as much fertilizer during the grow.

B

bigdaddybudmaker1990

My recommendations are to mix about 20-25% compost/manure mixed in with a tablespoon of Osmokote and a few tablespoons of wood ashes. This mix will get you thru the first 6 weeks in general. I have been watering daily or every other day depending on the needs, and I feed about every 2 weeks. I use a general 20-20-20 fertilizer (1 tablespoon/gallon of water using Jack's fertilizer), but I'm considering using something less concentrated every week instead of a larger dose every few weeks. Some strains can be sensitive to higher levels of nutes, and the composition of mediums changes as time passes. In general, Phosphorus and Potassium tend to accumulate a little, so I am re-thinkinking my end of flowering needs.
How much or how often you need to feed them is largely dependent on how big they are, the size of your container, the amount of light, etc. I use 5 gallon buckets and 2x 1000w HID lighting. You might need more or less depending on your growing methods and style. I like to let my plants grow tall and large for an indoor grow, but that is just my way of doing it. If you have a small light and container, Promix is still great but the feeding needs to be scaled back toaccomodate the variables. How big are your seedlings and what is your grow setup like? In Promix, you shouldn't need to add anything for the first month or more... if you add manure and stuff, you don't need as much fertilizer during the grow.

B

bigdaddybudmaker1990

Thanks for replying. I run two Spider Farmer sf-2000 LED. I use the Fox Farm Trio. My seedlings are approximately 4”-6” tall. They have all grown there first cotyledons.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I agree with Jim, I'm not in love with Pro mix by itself either, I'm using it 1/3 each:

promix
worm castings
chunky perlite

I like this mix better than the Pro mix alone, best wishes!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I like pro mix hp straight out of the bale. Drains well and has a starter charge of nutrients good for the first week or two after planting.

I have been using it with dyna grow foliage pro and protect (silica) and really like what i am seeing.

If i wanted ammendments i would stick with ocean forest with 30% large perlite mixed in. Grows fantastic plants and water only with transplants through stretch in my system.

Top Bottom