Please help my girls may die young. Leaves yellowing and browning at tips. Only week 2 of seedling

• Thread starter Greenmon23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greenmon23

Greenmon23

Sprouted 10/28, looked healthy for a week, and then this happened. Cant seem to figure out the problem. Using Coast of Main seeding soil and ILGM seeds. Using tap water with PH of roughly 6. Sf2000 spider farmer light 30in from tops of leaves. Was thinking it could be nut deficiency, but I didn't thinking seedlings had problems like this at only 2 weeks. Any and all advice would be helpful. Starting some new ones incase these end up dying, but want to make sure I dont make the same mistake.

Please help my girls may die young leaves yellowing and browning at tips only week 2 of seedling
Please help my girls may die young leaves yellowing and browning at tips only week 2 of seedli
Please help my girls may die young leaves yellowing and browning at tips only week 2 of seedli
Greenmon23

Greenmon23

Should I stick with Coast of Maine potting soil, or switch to something else?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Lower your light to 18 inches. Don't do anything else for 2 or 3 days except possibly water.
That soil is Ok, but not living. You will either have to amend it or feed later on.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Stay away from coco unless you go hydroponic.
It absorbs magnesium and your plants will need constant doses.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'd say the soil is fine. You don't need to do anything soil wise. It's also way early to start feeding. Your high power flowering light is to strong for seedlings.
Nodes are very close together, light green, burned looking leaves. Can you dim the light? I'd say buy 50%. I start seedlings under 15w 6500 CFL bulbs.
Then bump the light level up after about 30 days.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'd transplant, water properly (DON'T overwater) and at 2 weeks, you can begin feeding them.

Coast of Maine makes some great potting soils. If you have some of their soils for non-seedling plants, transplant them into that and don't feed for another couple of weeks.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
it’s your watering practices, which are not too bad, i don’t see holes on the bottom sides of cups? is there holes in the bottom? if so put on something to allow airflow..

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

I would repot, ive seen some say coast of maine was burning their plants at young age so maybe mix the coast of maine with happyfrog or something less potent. But i think if you repot up to aboit a 1.5 gallon pot, youll see better results, then repot 2 weeks or 3 weels later into a larger final pot. Thats what Ive done and it worked great.
Also do not over water the plant. Less is more when youre unsure of exactly how much water to give, so until you learn how your soil works with water, use less.

Kanashiihawk63

Kanashiihawk63

Supporter
Yeah, you planted seedlings in a pretty "hot" mix for seedlings. As everyone else said, no panic...Just repot your girls let the roots spread a few days and begin a nutrient program 2 x weekly. (With plants this young I do NOT use a full dose nutrient but only one half as strong). These are not that bad at all. No worries.
Warmly,
Jackie

Top Bottom