Please Help. Small white spots on northern lights leaves

• Thread starter HankBarnyard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HankBarnyard

HankBarnyard

I'm about a month and a half into growing my first plant from seed and I've been noticing small white spots as well as a big streak on one of the leaves. I am wondering what causes this to happen and if there is something that I can do to get my plant back to good health.

My plant is in soil composed of sphagnum peat moss, peat humus and/or composted forest products, coco fibre, perlite, lime, controlled release fertilizer and gha297 (mycorrhizae glomus intraradices). I have been feeding my plant water ph set to 6.2 and been adding a 2 part nutrient combination. Per 10L of water I have been adding 10ml of 5-0-2 and 7ml of 0-2-6. Thanks!

Please help small white spots on northern lights leaves
Please help small white spots on northern lights leaves 2
Please help small white spots on northern lights leaves 3
Please help small white spots on northern lights leaves 4
HankBarnyard

HankBarnyard

After the white spots appeared, (about 1 week ago) I tried spraying the plant with a 40% milk and 60% water solution in case it was powdery mildew, but I never really saw any changes to the appearance (and yes I am positive that it isn't simply dried milk lol)

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

The only thing I'm seeing is dried milk, but I'm sure that's not what you're seeing. Maybe someone with better eyes will come along, haha. Your plant looks pretty healthy to me.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Yeah looks healthy to me too, try to get some close ups of the white spots.

HankBarnyard

HankBarnyard

I will also mention it's only on the lower leaves of the plant. I have tried wiping the spots off with a damp cloth as well but it doesn't do anything.

DSC00141
DSC00142
BigChief612

BigChief612

I will also mention it's only on the lower leaves of the plant. I have tried wiping the spots off with a damp cloth as well but it doesn't do anything.
I can't really see these spots your talking about but I instantly think mites when people say they have small white spots on leaves. Start checking the undersides of leaves with a magnifying glass. I would dust the plants from top to bottom(making sure you get the both sides of leaves) with diotamacious earth. Won't hurt plants at all but will kill the bugs. Sprinkle on top of dry soil too. Best of luck.

savagemonk

savagemonk

Thrips make white silvery spots and streaks. They are tiny and can be found under the leaf or on stems. Easy to kill em with detergent spray but spray one or two leaves first to see how ur plant reacts the next day.

HankBarnyard

HankBarnyard

Thrips make white silvery spots and streaks. They are tiny and can be found under the leaf or on stems. Easy to kill em with detergent spray but spray one or two leaves first to see how ur plant reacts the next day.
I think you are right. I'm pretty sure I found one of those little guys about a week ago. I am trying my best to keep my growing process natural, so I am hoping that I can just let my plant ride the rest of the season out and be more prepared next year by growing other plants that will attract predators. It has been stormy the last day so I brought my plant inside for some r&r. I did some pruning and got some more closeups for those who are interested.

DSC00146
DSC00149
DSC00150
DSC00152
DSC00158
DSC00166
DSC00167
DSC00168
Tommy626

Tommy626

Although leaf miners are common outdoors, that is not the trail of a leaf miner. I’ve had significant experience with different types. The first photos that you posted up top seem to me to be salts or mildew that have dried on the leaf due to transpiration likely near the dew point or in a humid environment IMO

HankBarnyard

HankBarnyard

Although leaf miners are common outdoors, that is not the trail of a leaf miner. I’ve had significant experience with different types. The first photos that you posted up top seem to me to be salts or mildew that have dried on the leaf due to transpiration likely near the dew point or in a humid environment IMO

That is something that I haven't considered but certainly makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. I had the plants sitting on a plastic catcher which is unnecessary outdoors and probably promotes that type of environment. Also, I created this type of platform to extend the deck for the place I am renting so the plant would still get sunlight. I just went and removed the bases now 🙂👍

The Diving Board
Top Bottom