Please help this newbie!

• Thread starter teej1795
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
teej1795

teej1795

Hello! This is my first post so please excuse me for my lack of knowledge. I am just wanting to get into growing. I'm a medical patient in Illinois who is tired of the outrageous dispo prices here in the state. I'm sure other locals can relate...

I plan on getting a 2x4x6 tent strictly just for growing autos to start off with. I figured I would grow 2-3 plants in it, but was curious if anybody here has ever tried growing 4 in it and how well does that work? Or is it really mostly dependent on strain?

I have not decided what medium yet either. I figured either coco or soil to start, but I am VERY INTERESTED in learning more about hydroponics and a good beginner set up for the type of space I plan on working with. Not just type of setup, but materials needed to make these types of hydro set ups. (what type of tubs, how big, pumps, etc.)

Now, lighting seems to be the hardest thing for me to really decide on. I've seen multiple sources saying multiple things as to wattage per sq./ft but would like that cleared up a bit. I was thinking about possibly getting two 300w LED's for the space. Is that overkill? Should I look for lower wattage? I would like to entertain the thought of growing 2 dif. strains in the same tent, so I figured 2 LED's would be great for that. But if fitting 4 autos in that tent, is 300w for 2 flowers good enough power? I've also looked at some 600w as some of them seem to be around the same price point as some of the 300w's. How would that work out in the 2x4? And naturally I can assume that 2 of those would be overkill? What about a combination of 300w and a 600w maybe? I may be rambling at this point.

I have definitely considered HID's but have not gotten much info on them. And seems to me there are plenty of LED's out there with same wattage for same prices or even cheaper? What would be a good HID set up for a 2x4x6 if I went that route? And just how much hotter are they actually than running a couple of LED's? I also fear my room may be a bit colder in the winter months, and a HID would help that out yes? Maybe in winter months, do one of the LED's and low power HID? Anybody's experience with that?

Basically, if you could help me figure out a good solution for my lights, let me know about how many plants I can grow in this 2x4, AND a good hydroponic set up for the same tent, I would appreciate it so much!!!! Thank you!!! ✌

teej1795

teej1795

ALSO!!!!

If running just the LED's is a inline fan necessary? Or would a passive system work with that if I kept the room at a reasonable temp??

Thanks again

Hurrl

Hurrl

My personal experience with a 2x4x6 tent was with 2 plants in DWC bubble buckets. My first grow was with 1 - 400w Roleadro COB fixture off amazon. I definitely had to use a fan to circulate air through the tent, it was a little hot for my taste. My plants were on the smaller side but I topped them and used LST on them so they were wide. I probably could have grown 3 but not 4, it would have been too tight. My second grow in that tent I used 2 - 400w Roleadro COB fixtures. The heat was ridiculous and I had to directly vent in A/C. My plants were in the same 2 DWC bubble buckets. Those two plants filled my entire tent. I had leaves and buds smashed up against the tent's sides.

As far as all this goes I'm sure it depends on what medium you are growing in, strain, brand/type LED and all that fun stuff. Too many variables at play to give a definitive answer to your question in my opinion. So I just shared my initial experience in a 2x4x6. I've since moved into a 5x5 and have had just one plant fill over half that area in a custom undercurrent RDWC setup. So I still only run 2 plants tops. Even if they end up being smaller and not filling the entire area. However I've seen plenty of people grow quite a few more plants in even smaller areas in dirt or coco. So maybe I'm not the best person to listen to.

That being said, I am in no way shape or form an expert or that knowledgeable about most of this stuff. I've really been learning on my own through trial and error and lurking forums occasionally for the past few years. Up until a week or so ago when I signed up here. These other people may be able to give some better info for you.

teej1795

teej1795

My personal experience with a 2x4x6 tent was with 2 plants in DWC bubble buckets. My first grow was with 1 - 400w Roleadro COB fixture off amazon. I definitely had to use a fan to circulate air through the tent, it was a little hot for my taste. My plants were on the smaller side but I topped them and used LST on them so they were wide. I probably could have grown 3 but not 4, it would have been too tight. My second grow in that tent I used 2 - 400w Roleadro COB fixtures. The heat was ridiculous and I had to directly vent in A/C. My plants were in the same 2 DWC bubble buckets. Those two plants filled my entire tent. I had leaves and buds smashed up against the tent's sides.

As far as all this goes I'm sure it depends on what medium you are growing in, strain, brand/type LED and all that fun stuff. Too many variables at play to give a definitive answer to your question in my opinion. So I just shared my initial experience in a 2x4x6. I've since moved into a 5x5 and have had just one plant fill over half that area in a custom undercurrent RDWC setup. So I still only run 2 plants tops. Even if they end up being smaller and not filling the entire area. However I've seen plenty of people grow quite a few more plants in even smaller areas in dirt or coco. So maybe I'm not the best person to listen to.

That being said, I am in no way shape or form an expert or that knowledgeable about most of this stuff. I've really been learning on my own through trial and error and lurking forums occasionally for the past few years. Up until a week or so ago when I signed up here. These other people may be able to give some better info for you.
Thank you for the reply! Were those 2 that took up the whole tent photos, or autos? I assume photos since you topped and did some LST. I plan on using the space for just autos really until I get my feet on the ground. Just was curious how many people have jammed in there! Does your hydro system eat up a lot of real estate in your tent at all? If so is that an issue with how many plants you're able to get in there?

Hurrl

Hurrl

Thank you for the reply! Were those 2 that took up the whole tent photos, or autos? I assume photos since you topped and did some LST. I plan on using the space for just autos really until I get my feet on the ground. Just was curious how many people have jammed in there! Does your hydro system eat up a lot of real estate in your tent at all? If so is that an issue with how many plants you're able to get in there?
Autos. If I'm not mistaken they were Blueberry Kush from Nirvana. It's been a few years though so I can't be certain on the strain.

Edit: sorry, I didn't finish replying before posting... heh...

I was using DWC Bubble Buckets in the 2x4x6 tent. So no system, just two buckets and an air pump. I did have the air pump outside the tent and I always use long air lines for each air stone, maybe 10-15 foot long. That helps the air in the lines cool down before getting to the water in the buckets. I always push more air than I probably need into the water so I use a bigger pump (gets hot). The only issue I had with the bubble buckets was that when the plants got big and were sucking up 1 or more gallons of water a day. That would throw off my PH quite a bit and I was having to hassle with daily watering/water changes. Don't get me wrong here. It's a very viable way to grow, I was just always trying to maximize my harvest and diving into this farming thing head first. I probably should have asked like your doing and started in Coco or something like that, which from what I hear can be a little easier to manage.

Last edited:
teej1795

teej1795

Autos. If I'm not mistaken they were Blueberry Kush from Nirvana. It's been a few years though so I can't be certain on the strain.

Edit: sorry, I didn't finish replying before posting... heh...

I was using DWC Bubble Buckets in the 2x4x6 tent. So no system, just two buckets and an air pump. I did have the air pump outside the tent and I always use long air lines for each air stone, maybe 10-15 foot long. That helps the air in the lines cool down before getting to the water in the buckets. I always push more air than I probably need into the water so I use a bigger pump (gets hot). The only issue I had with the bubble buckets was that when the plants got big and were sucking up 1 or more gallons of water a day. That would throw off my PH quite a bit and I was having to hassle with daily watering/water changes. Don't get me wrong here. It's a very viable way to grow, I was just always trying to maximize my harvest and diving into this farming thing head first. I probably should have asked like your doing and started in Coco or something like that, which from what I hear can be a little easier to manage.
Well tbh I would much rather dive head on myself and just get into hydro, but with how cheap it is to get some soil/coco I figured it couldn't hurt to at least start there. I don't know exactly the risk soil has versus the risk of hydro when it comes to success rate? Like am I just as likely to have a good grow my first time with hydro as soil or no? I know hydro will get a better yield overall but will it be so complicated for any beginner that it's not worth it to start there? I know you dived head on yourself, but just curious if anybody else hops on this.

I will keep the issue you had with your plants getting too big on my list! Also good to know that those were actually autos. Do you have a good success with topping and LST? I've heard both do and don't when it comes to all of that. Also, definitely going to look into these bubble buckets

Hurrl

Hurrl

As far as topping an auto go
I will keep the issue you had with your plants getting too big on my list! Also good to know that those were actually autos. Do you have a good success with topping and LST? I've heard both do and don't when it comes to all of that. Also, definitely going to look into these bubble buckets

I only grow autos indoor. As far as topping goes, I've had success with every Auto I've topped. But I don't always top. For me personally it really depends on how fast they grow in the first 14-18 days. I will not top after the 21 day mark as they generally start flowering somewhere between then and the 28 day mark. I always have to LST even if just a small amount. The times I haven't were the times my plants would grow up into my lights. I gotta keep some space between those bud sites. What I have learned though. When my autos start to flower the stems get very rigid, so you can't really do much training after that. Lately I've just been LSTing a lot during Veg, growing the plants sideways basically. Then pulling back and spacing out growth stems as much as I can. But really it depends on the plant's actual growth. My latest grow I had issues with, (new lights and a different nutrient coupled with being a noob)... My nodes were extremely tight, I did not top this plant either. But I did LST the heck out of the plant and have also attempted lollipopping for the first time. So basically I'm sort of running a SCROG without a scrog net. Just gorilla tape and string... The twist ties you see were worthless. I've just been too lazy to remove them.

Here is a picture of my LSTing on this latest grow. and then another picture of the same plant a little less than a week later. Keep in mind I was having some serious issues with this plant. I was running too much light and way too much Calmag so she's probably not as big as she would have been had I not been messing up so bad. This is a Dinafem Moby Dick XXL for reference.
Bondage

18th

growsince79

growsince79

Hello! This is my first post so please excuse me for my lack of knowledge. I am just wanting to get into growing. I'm a medical patient in Illinois who is tired of the outrageous dispo prices here in the state. I'm sure other locals can relate...

I plan on getting a 2x4x6 tent strictly just for growing autos to start off with. I figured I would grow 2-3 plants in it, but was curious if anybody here has ever tried growing 4 in it and how well does that work? Or is it really mostly dependent on strain?

I have not decided what medium yet either. I figured either coco or soil to start, but I am VERY INTERESTED in learning more about hydroponics and a good beginner set up for the type of space I plan on working with. Not just type of setup, but materials needed to make these types of hydro set ups. (what type of tubs, how big, pumps, etc.)

Now, lighting seems to be the hardest thing for me to really decide on. I've seen multiple sources saying multiple things as to wattage per sq./ft but would like that cleared up a bit. I was thinking about possibly getting two 300w LED's for the space. Is that overkill? Should I look for lower wattage? I would like to entertain the thought of growing 2 dif. strains in the same tent, so I figured 2 LED's would be great for that. But if fitting 4 autos in that tent, is 300w for 2 flowers good enough power? I've also looked at some 600w as some of them seem to be around the same price point as some of the 300w's. How would that work out in the 2x4? And naturally I can assume that 2 of those would be overkill? What about a combination of 300w and a 600w maybe? I may be rambling at this point.

I have definitely considered HID's but have not gotten much info on them. And seems to me there are plenty of LED's out there with same wattage for same prices or even cheaper? What would be a good HID set up for a 2x4x6 if I went that route? And just how much hotter are they actually than running a couple of LED's? I also fear my room may be a bit colder in the winter months, and a HID would help that out yes? Maybe in winter months, do one of the LED's and low power HID? Anybody's experience with that?

Basically, if you could help me figure out a good solution for my lights, let me know about how many plants I can grow in this 2x4, AND a good hydroponic set up for the same tent, I would appreciate it so much!!!! Thank you!!! ✌
Even the shitty blurple LEDs cost more than hps. they all lie about the light and what they can replace. My blurple POS 600w is actually a 120w light they claimed could replace a 600w hps. Complete bullshit. I get double the yield with a single 150w hps. Are they cooler? Not in my externally exhausted closet. The temperature is the exact same. If you go with led get a good one. I

Latest posts

Top Bottom