Please help with small dark spots

• Thread starter MrFatGangster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrFatGangster

Hello my name is Mike and I’ve ran back into another spotting issue!
Here’s my rundown of everything:

Growing Auto - Zkittles from seed

These plants are 5-1/2 weeks old

Measly 7 inches tall…

Coco coir - top feeding nutrient solution with 20%-30% runoff from the bottom.

Using Bontanicare Cal-Mag+ and GH flora trio (Lucas formula cutting out gro and compensating with more micro and bloom) 3ml CalMag-3ml Micro-6ml Bloom/gal in that order.

Feeding once a day, however the bottoms of the fabric pots have been staying wet even when elevated from the floor with a grate to help with airflow underneath. Is this from lack of roots in the bottom zone to uptake? These poor plants had okay-ish roots on the transplant, but definitely on the skimpier side

Ph at around 5.8-5.9

Using RO water with less than 5ppm

Nutrient solution is up to 470ppm

Nutrient solution is mixed at room temperature 76F

The runoff measures about 80ppm less than what goes in. 470 IN 390 OUT.

Runoff Ph has been around 6.4-6.5 however going in is at 5.8-5.9 so a difference of about .6

Only foliar sprayed a couple times experimentally prior to transplanting from unbuffered coco coir to double buffered coco coir.

I’m now using a quantum board full spectrum LED light that I purchased from Amazon, I upgraded from a blurple led from Amazon. This is the exact description from Amazon-

Abriselux A1500 LED Grow Light Dimmable with 4x4ft Coverage and Upgraded Larger Board, Full Spectrum Grow Lamps for Indoor Hydroponic Growing Light with High PPFD (Actual Power 150Watt)

The light is 24 inches from the top of the plants. Ppfd measured by upgraded version of Photone app is at 250ppfd-200ppfd higher to lower area.

I’m growing 4 - 5gal fabric pots inside a 4ftx4ftx8ft tent.

The temperature ranges from 78F - 71F and the humidity is set to 80rh running on auto and reads from 50rh to 80rh.

Have seen a couple mosquitoes here and there but they’re inescapable in my area this time of year (monsoon season)

I am a beginner and still on my first grow!

These plants started off in bad shape because the first 4 weeks they were in unbuffered coco coir. I wasn’t aware of the issues of not buffering would cause at the time. I made a newbie first time grower infirmary post a couple weeks ago trying to figure out what was wrong. I couldn’t really get a great assessment based off the kind of lights I had and the containers they were in (cheap plastic cups with several holes drilled) and the fact that I didn’t buffer the coco.

Please help with small dark spots

Please help with small dark spots 8

Based off my literal hundreds of hours of research since starting I’ve concluded they were suffering from K abundance as well as a Cal-Mag deficiency from planting in unbuffered coco coir. Any Cal Mag I was adding was being exchanged to potassium.

Finally had enough of these poor girls suffering and transferred them into fabric pots with washed and double buffered coco. I washed theirs roots bare naked with the nutrient solution at the dose at the time 2ml CalMag 2ml Micro 4ml Gro at 370ppm. Inserted them gently into the saturated coco and left them alone for 2 days.

Please help with small dark spots 2
Please help with small dark spots 3

The horrible rusting stopped spreading on the new growth after transferring to buffered coco, until just today.

Please help with small dark spots 4
Please help with small dark spots 5
Please help with small dark spots 6
Please help with small dark spots 7

Small dark brown spots on the new growth both on top and on lower branches are appearing. I take a photo every day since planting and notice such small differences on the day to day basis.

These spots are small so you’ll have to zoom in!
Please help with small dark spots 11

I’ve also noticed some reddening on the stem and branches.
Please help with small dark spots 12
Please help with small dark spots 10
Please help with small dark spots 9
Please help with small dark spots 12
Please help with small dark spots 14

I’m wondering if I need to just up the Cal-Mag with my nutrient solution or if anyone thinks these spots may be something else?

I appreciate anyone who tries to help out!

Please help with small dark spots 13
CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

You said these were auto's and they're ~40 days old? Man I can't get my auto's to stay vegging for more than 28 days. You sure they're auto's and not photos?

Anyways...I'm not an expert by any means, but your new growth looks healthy. Tips are a bit toasty but nothing crazy. Looks good to me.

The red/purple stems is just a sun tan. Appearing only on the tops of the branches and the large fan leaves.

Someone else with more experience can chime in, but you're looking good in my eyes.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello my name is Mike and I’ve ran back into another spotting issue!
Here’s my rundown of everything:

Growing Auto - Zkittles from seed

These plants are 5-1/2 weeks old

Measly 7 inches tall…

Coco coir - top feeding nutrient solution with 20%-30% runoff from the bottom.

Using Bontanicare Cal-Mag+ and GH flora trio (Lucas formula cutting out gro and compensating with more micro and bloom) 3ml CalMag-3ml Micro-6ml Bloom/gal in that order.

Feeding once a day, however the bottoms of the fabric pots have been staying wet even when elevated from the floor with a grate to help with airflow underneath. Is this from lack of roots in the bottom zone to uptake? These poor plants had okay-ish roots on the transplant, but definitely on the skimpier side

Ph at around 5.8-5.9

Using RO water with less than 5ppm

Nutrient solution is up to 470ppm

Nutrient solution is mixed at room temperature 76F

The runoff measures about 80ppm less than what goes in. 470 IN 390 OUT.

Runoff Ph has been around 6.4-6.5 however going in is at 5.8-5.9 so a difference of about .6

Only foliar sprayed a couple times experimentally prior to transplanting from unbuffered coco coir to double buffered coco coir.

I’m now using a quantum board full spectrum LED light that I purchased from Amazon, I upgraded from a blurple led from Amazon. This is the exact description from Amazon-

Abriselux A1500 LED Grow Light Dimmable with 4x4ft Coverage and Upgraded Larger Board, Full Spectrum Grow Lamps for Indoor Hydroponic Growing Light with High PPFD (Actual Power 150Watt)

The light is 24 inches from the top of the plants. Ppfd measured by upgraded version of Photone app is at 250ppfd-200ppfd higher to lower area.

I’m growing 4 - 5gal fabric pots inside a 4ftx4ftx8ft tent.

The temperature ranges from 78F - 71F and the humidity is set to 80rh running on auto and reads from 50rh to 80rh.

Have seen a couple mosquitoes here and there but they’re inescapable in my area this time of year (monsoon season)

I am a beginner and still on my first grow!

These plants started off in bad shape because the first 4 weeks they were in unbuffered coco coir. I wasn’t aware of the issues of not buffering would cause at the time. I made a newbie first time grower infirmary post a couple weeks ago trying to figure out what was wrong. I couldn’t really get a great assessment based off the kind of lights I had and the containers they were in (cheap plastic cups with several holes drilled) and the fact that I didn’t buffer the coco.

View attachment 1281600
View attachment 1281607
Based off my literal hundreds of hours of research since starting I’ve concluded they were suffering from K abundance as well as a Cal-Mag deficiency from planting in unbuffered coco coir. Any Cal Mag I was adding was being exchanged to potassium.

Finally had enough of these poor girls suffering and transferred them into fabric pots with washed and double buffered coco. I washed theirs roots bare naked with the nutrient solution at the dose at the time 2ml CalMag 2ml Micro 4ml Gro at 370ppm. Inserted them gently into the saturated coco and left them alone for 2 days.

View attachment 1281601View attachment 1281602

The horrible rusting stopped spreading on the new growth after transferring to buffered coco, until just today.

View attachment 1281603View attachment 1281604View attachment 1281605View attachment 1281606

Small dark brown spots on the new growth both on top and on lower branches are appearing. I take a photo every day since planting and notice such small differences on the day to day basis.

These spots are small so you’ll have to zoom in!
View attachment 1281610
I’ve also noticed some reddening on the stem and branches. View attachment 1281611View attachment 1281609View attachment 1281608View attachment 1281611View attachment 1281613

I’m wondering if I need to just up the Cal-Mag with my nutrient solution or if anyone thinks these spots may be something else?

I appreciate anyone who tries to help out!
Hi, Yikes is all I got, you've done far more work on those than I ever do. I can't go through all of your post and explain it out I can tell you what I do if it helps....

Promix or promix type soils ( peat based ) and water....I germinate plant seedlings directly into pre saturated soil and let them grow, transplant out of solo cup after 2 weeks into a larger pot, with pre wet soil, water to seat the plant. At about week 3 when they need there nex water I feed lightly with the GH trio, 2ml micro/2ml grow/ 2ml bloom 1 ml Floralicious/ per gallon.

Then I'll increase the feed slowly each week by 1ml until I get to 5 ml per gallon and I hold it there until I flip to 12/12....easy to follow recipe.

My house water has a ph of 7.2 and a ppm of 120. RO water has nothing in it and strips my plants of nutrients real fast. I use it for my dehumidifiers and if I want color fade for pics at the end of their cycle I'll water with RO 3 days later I have yellow/ red fading leaves

1 month old Gorilla Glue and 3 sprouts

M

MrFatGangster

You said these were auto's and they're ~40 days old? Man I can't get my auto's to stay vegging for more than 28 days. You sure they're auto's and not photos?

Anyways...I'm not an expert by any means, but your new growth looks healthy. Tips are a bit toasty but nothing crazy. Looks good to me.

The red/purple stems is just a sun tan. Appearing only on the tops of the branches and the large fan leaves.

Someone else with more experience can chime in, but you're looking good in my eyes.
The seeds were from a reputable source (theseedconnect) that has a remarkable amount of good reviews and their local to my area and was assured they were auto flowers. I have seen a couple instances of people getting photos on accident… would the pistols be showing at this time?

I think they were severely stunted by all of my mess ups but they are showing some white pistols, the pictures didn’t show them well at all.

I really hope it’s auto because I have 3 others that are allegedly autos and only have one grow space at the moment lol

M

MrFatGangster

Hi, Yikes is all I got, you've done far more work on those than I ever do. I can't go through all of your post and explain it out I can tell you what I do if it helps....

Promix or promix type soils ( peat based ) and water....I germinate plant seedlings directly into pre saturated soil and let them grow, transplant out of solo cup after 2 weeks into a larger pot, with pre wet soil, water to seat the plant. At about week 3 when they need there nex water I feed lightly with the GH trio, 2ml micro/2ml grow/ 2ml bloom 1 ml Floralicious/ per gallon.

Then I'll increase the feed slowly each week by 1ml until I get to 5 ml per gallon and I hold it there until I flip to 12/12....easy to follow recipe.

My house water has a ph of 7.2 and a ppm of 120. RO water has nothing in it and strips my plants of nutrients real fast. I use it for my dehumidifiers and if I want color fade for pics at the end of their cycle I'll water with RO 3 days later I have yellow/ red fading leaves

1 month old Gorilla Glue and 3 sproutsView attachment 1281683
View attachment 1281682
Thanks for letting me know your regimen, all info is super helpful to me! I still have 4 seeds left in this batch that I will try to do better on from the get go instead of trying to play catch up. Do you think it’s possible that my autos are actually photos that got mixed up?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks for letting me know your regimen, all info is super helpful to me! I still have 4 seeds left in this batch that I will try to do better on from the get go instead of trying to play catch up. Do you think it’s possible that my autos are actually photos that got mixed up?
I'm not an auto guy but I've had auto's take 6 weeks before they showed signs of turning. I've flipped supposed auto's to 12/12 and flowered them out after 6 weeks of veg. Flip to 12/12 if you want them to start flowering...I like big plants

I think that ending sounded flippant and that wasn't my intent....I'm not sure what you can do with them, I just tossed a plant I'd vegged for 2+ months then flowered for a month. I fked it up by feeding too heavy in the hot weather.................. twice ( dumb ASS ) fk (old) but sometimes its better to cut and start over........I have back ups though, tough to do if you're counting on them.

Some one may come in and help with getting them back on track but if they're auto's......ah.......you may get a joint or 3.....

Last edited:
M

MrFatGangster

UPDATE: Spots were definitely a calcium deficiency. Helped prevent further deficiencies of Cal by switching to new feeding regimen.

A modified Lucas formula (H3ad formula) - suggested to not add cal mag, because micronutrients were already available in flora micro and bloom, HOWEVER I still used 3ml/gal of CalMag on each feeding because calcium spots were stubborn for me!

The modified version of the H3ad formula I used was 3ml CalMag, 6ml Micro, 9ml Bloom / gal of water. These girls were so stunted from a barrage of horrible newbie mistakes that I was determined that they were a lost cause but they’ve rebounded decently!

Currently low stress training on the older ones!
F8359D72 348E 4443 92C1 DAD1097FB5E2
60D1FC5E D69C 4104 9B50 3EA94C21ED08
166D0D58 DA91 4AAE 9801 D1B42390DED8
AA9CD937 3939 4A5F 8812 AAFA94B59684

Latest posts

Top Bottom