Please identify . Found them on top of soil

• Thread starter Creativepatron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Freek1

Freek1

Woah no bueno. Hope I never run into them.
Amen to that, I felt with spider mites and fungus gnats. These things are the worst ever. You can knock them down with pesticides, but you can’t knock them out and when they come back they’re even harder to kill.
On top of that your harvest will be small almost flavorless and half the time the bus won’t finish

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Amen to that, I felt with spider mites and fungus gnats. These things are the worst ever. You can knock them down with pesticides, but you can’t knock them out and when they come back they’re even harder to kill.
On top of that your harvest will be small almost flavorless and half the time the bus won’t finish
The only thing that works for me and the good bud is spinosad spray against spider mites. I don't like what fatty oil sprays do to the flower. And I really don't like hitting anything I'm going to smoke or eat with a commercial pesticide. With spider mites I've found that 10 - 14 days of twice a day treatments will eradicate them. And now that cooler temps are hitting us, anything new will be simple to get under control. During the hot months I hit them every 3 days until the last 3 to 4 weeks of flower regardless. If I don't then my leaves get white polka dots. The Joy's of living I. The woods lol! I release a lot of ladybugs and praying mantis in my gardens each year. Really love to watch those living sticks in my plants picking shit and stuff :)

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Sorry to hear this!!! Wish more could have been done.....Honestly where do you think you went wrong? How will you improve your game so it doesnt happen again?

From what ive read is insects travel the world through winds, they come in droves, and they seem to cycle each other out. Or they cycle in circles all over or just a certain swath of the country/state/county.... Its almost like you see a plume of thrips one year then its fungus gnats the next followed by god only knows what....fuck me!!

Catch a bunch of them put them in jars with holes and just start experimenting with different chemicals. Take a few out zap'em and see what kills them and at what concentrations...best advice that can be given....as slow as they move it'd be a simple and easy!

Again im feelin for ya bro. I too want to blow up my plants and say fuckmit. But im going to hit them with with what i got.....

Im going with organocide on the root aphids. Theres a shit ton of fliers in the god damn house on my front door and shit...where did they come from? They will be here next year too...theyre laying their over wintering eggs as i sit here and bitch,complain and fucking whine about them....theyre laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The bottom line, bugs are something to be dealt with unless you've got a setup whereas you can keep it completely sterile w/proper ventilation/filtering of air and a clean room going in/out of it. There's simply no other way to remain bug free, otherwise, you just need to take them head on, and stay on top of things. If your in an older dwelling, it's just that much worse. I've used every remedy known to man, I've got a dozen different strategies, and nothing quite works as well as staying on top of it daily and just grinding though it, Washing, mixing up the treatments, (never use the same thing twice) using beneficial predators, ect...

I've stopped using harsh treatments, because they don't work effectively. Dr Bonners Peppermint castile soap is my mainstay, with a little canola oil. Mighty wash and a vacume cleaner during flowering, if it's terrible. Usually late summertime is the worst.

Coming here to the fourms really helped me in a big way, because my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and the stippling is much more apparent on an cellphone picture, than you'll ever see in real person. Catching them in the early stages, and keeping it in check is the overall best strategy for me, as I know I'm never going to get rid of these entirely.

Even if I do, they can easily come back, because I ventilate the house and always have a fan in the window. So without "filtered" air flow, it's virtually impossible.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The other big thing I was overlooking before is mechanical manipulation. If one thing that these new camera's have shown me, is how fragile the eggs and larve are, they squash at the lightest of manipulation. So using the vauccum cleaner (w/rolling brushes) on surfaces, washing walls, sweeping floors, mopping, or washing leaves with soap (then rubbing between fingers and hand) do tremendous things to eliminate them, especially if you've got a localized spots. There usually hanging around the center of the fan leaves, were the nodes meet.

Anything mechanical helps a great deal, but it's a bunch of work, especially if you've got lots of big plants. I even shower the plants, if there not in flower. Mites are, and have always been my single biggest challenge with growing, no question about that one.

Freek1

Freek1

Sorry to hear this!!! Wish more could have been done.....Honestly where do you think you went wrong? How will you improve your game so it doesnt happen again?

From what ive read is insects travel the world through winds, they come in droves, and they seem to cycle each other out. Or they cycle in circles all over or just a certain swath of the country/state/county.... Its almost like you see a plume of thrips one year then its fungus gnats the next followed by god only knows what....fuck me!!

Catch a bunch of them put them in jars with holes and just start experimenting with different chemicals. Take a few out zap'em and see what kills them and at what concentrations...best advice that can be given....as slow as they move it'd be a simple and easy!

Again im feelin for ya bro. I too want to blow up my plants and say fuckmit. But im going to hit them with with what i got.....

Im going with organocide on the root aphids. Theres a shit ton of fliers in the god damn house on my front door and shit...where did they come from? They will be here next year too...theyre laying their over wintering eggs as i sit here and bitch,complain and fucking whine about them....theyre laughing all the way to the bank!!!
Didn’t go wring except biying some off nrand organic soil years afo.
Will definitely be pasturizing all new soil.
This sucks!

Freek1

Freek1

The other big thing I was overlooking before is mechanical manipulation. If one thing that these new camera's have shown me, is how fragile the eggs and larve are, they squash at the lightest of manipulation. So using the vauccum cleaner (w/rolling brushes) on surfaces, washing walls, sweeping floors, mopping, or washing leaves with soap (then rubbing between fingers and hand) do tremendous things to eliminate them, especially if you've got a localized spots. There usually hanging around the center of the fan leaves, were the nodes meet.

Anything mechanical helps a great deal, but it's a bunch of work, especially if you've got lots of big plants. I even shower the plants, if there not in flower. Mites are, and have always been my single biggest challenge with growing, no question about that one.
Have you tried a sulfur spray?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Have you tried a sulfur spray?
No, not many sulfur sprays, I've tried a few sulfuides way back when, but not for awhile now.

Might be worthwhile, I suspect, especially with the approach I"m taking.

The survival and egg production of T. urticae females was affected to the greatest extent by P. persimilis, followed by powdery mildew. Residual sulfur had a short-term suppressive effect on T. urticae egg production but did not influence survival and reproduction of P. persimilis

Freek1

Freek1

No, not many sulfur sprays, I've tried a few sulfuides way back when, but not for awhile now.

Might be worthwhile, I suspect, especially with the approach I"m taking.

The survival and egg production of T. urticae females was affected to the greatest extent by P. persimilis, followed by powdery mildew. Residual sulfur had a short-term suppressive effect on T. urticae egg production but did not influence survival and reproduction of P. persimilis

You just buy the wettable sulfur powder..it doesn't mix great but I will be using it on all my grows. Use it early veg and right before flower.
It's better than trying to fight an infestation after it's taken place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom