Please Stop Using Silicon/silica During Flower! Thank You :)

• Thread starter Douglas.C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

Yep. That is what he is saying. Which is non-sense. At least the detrimental part.

Frosty weed can be top notch weed. But not all frosty weed is good. And weed doesn't need to look frosty to be fire.
Phreak, what he said doesn't ring true because the 'modern' weed is the same old weed in a brand new bottle. Frost being detrimental didn't make sense. What I've found is that the 'strongest' weed has the longest high. I ate a brownie last night and my wife had to hit me to get me to shut up -- I was yelling in my sleep. The columbian we got was never frosty but it was always so flavorful and long lasting.

R

ritoMox

So you are saying that frost on weed is detrimental and this characteristic has been bred into the plant? So, for example native Thai weed has absolutely no frost ever. It will be interesting to see with de-criminalization how much mutation occurs. The government gave out 1,000,000 trees and free seeds to people. All the plants on the internet appear 99% closer to each other now than some of the random weed we got in the 70s.
I took it to mean that today's frost is detrimental due to its ornamental nature rather than smoking quality. I read that members comments to be a criticism of bag-appeal breeding. 2¢

sambapati

sambapati

I took it to mean that today's frost is detrimental due to its ornamental nature rather than smoking quality. I read that members comments to be a criticism of bag-appeal breeding. 2¢
Similar to red wine mfgrs altering their product to suit taste for a specific profile. Give people what they want -- do you want fries w/that?

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Plants don't stop uptaking Si in nature during bloom, but some humans think they have a better recipe. Si doesn't make harsh smoke. It doesn't even burn.

Too much P is the most common source of nute related harshness. It forms phosphorus pentoxide when burned which is an irritant to the throat.

str8med

str8med

Most plant nutrients sold on the market already have ample silica. Plus the watering lines aid in a minimum effect towards silica for plants. Leaf samples are the only way we can prove silica is in the plant. I run zero silica additives and still have silica in my leaf samples. I'm almost certain it didn't come from the air. So let's test our theories

MisterHelix

MisterHelix

Each to their own, but if you’re growing inside a box, I won’t listen too hard about how you think flower is “supposed” to be.

I’ll continue to use potassium silicate outdoors during flower as part of my relatively organic fertigation to help my buds withstand natural but adverse conditions on Earth.

🌱

E

erockage

I am growing organically and use silicon. I just realized today I have been adding 2.5x the amount of potassium silicate I should be. My spray can always tricks my brain to thinking it's a 5 gallon container when it's 2 gallons. I think because of this I can confirm or deny the OP's theory. And I'm guessing it's wrong. I am not sure if I'm dealing with slowed growth for sure but I suspect not much, the plants are healthy. I highly doubt the buds will be hard to break up but we shall see.

PXL 20231117 031737872
imatruthaddict

imatruthaddict

Hello,

I've noticed a growing problem with cannabis the last few years and it's reaching a peak I really don't care for. Growers are using liquid silicon and silica during flower. This is so, so wrong, seriously decreasing end quality of the flowers.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE silicon for cannabis. I use it extensively in veg and during stretch for massively strong branches and a superior vascular tissue system for transpiration. Awesome benefits for cannabis plants, just before flower.

During flower? Please don't do this. Cannabis has zero need for silica, when producing flowers. It adds toughness (Ever *Have* to reach for a grinder or scissors to break up flowers?) and heat (smoke a microchip some day) and diverts plant resources that should be producing terpenes and cannabinoids.

Don't believe me? Flower out one plant with zero silica/silicon during flower, vs your regular silica/silicon fed plants. You'll be surprised at how easily the flowers break up and how much smoother/cooler the smoke is.

Cannabis is frangible. Highly frangible. You should be able to *gently* press a bud against the side of your bowl and have it break into a crumbled pile of frosty bits. You'll then be able to easily pull out a single main stem (no branches) and push the pile into your bowl. This is how clean cannabis performs. :)

Cannabis is truly a unique and amazing plant...
Twista-in-a-bowl-almost-cached.jpg

Almost dusted *tightly* packed bowl of Twista. Notice how nice and fluffy the ash is?

Douglas
100% disagree…half of the elemental makeup of the trichrome, and therefore part of the plant’s physical defenses, is Si…why would I want smaller stalks and heads? I’m in NYC constantly and would gladly meet and match, I would put our Master Kush against any garden in the world and feel confident we would gain the respect of the other garden.

IMG 3121
imatruthaddict

imatruthaddict

Each to their own, but if you’re growing inside a box, I won’t listen too hard about how you think flower is “supposed” to be.

I’ll continue to use potassium silicate outdoors during flower as part of my relatively organic fertigation to help my buds withstand natural but adverse conditions on Earth.

🌱
There is calcium silicate as well

Top Bottom