Please tell me about CORN

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimson

How do you time a grow in a farmer's field?

How long does a corn crop take? How long after the corn is seeded do you move in? How do you avoid weed-killers & pesticides? What problems should I look out for?

I am having difficulty finding a guerilla spot because I simply cannot walk very far.

A friend back in the midwest suggested I forget the woods (I am close to Seattle/Tacoma) and look along the fencelines and roadsides. I have been out motoring around and may have found a few potential sites for next year but I know nothing about the farmers' schedules.

A year ago I was checking forested areas and found two active growing sites and one where the grower (or thief?) had taken only the top flowers.
I ASSume that if you're planted on someone else's land you must have to clean up very well - so you can come back. Right?

TIA

S

starzandskarz

i grew up in your area, walk the beaches and find a landslide, landslides happen due to moisture and there is usually a creek running through the slide, hike up the slide plant your girls along side the creek and dont forget to feed them!

R

rizzle

sweet corn is sprayed more heavily than cow/milling corn and is harvested sooner than cow corn as well. I also recall reading mention of a 'sonic corn' that finishes early in september. Might of been on thc forums but I honestly don't know for sure. I would like to learn early growth signs of both types of corn myself, would be awesome if anyone could share with us. Long as security isn't a big issue I'd try to keep plants slightly smaller than the crops when transplanting to field and keep in mind the bigger the crop, the more work to make a space for your plants. Good luck! *looking ahead to next year*

J

johard59

Corn crops around the world have their own unique production cycles of planting and harvest timeframes.In the United States, most of the corn crop is grown in the Midwest. Typically, the southernmost areas will begin planting first and then the most northern areas will begin planting as the snow is gone and the soil is thawed.

TortureKill

TortureKill

I live in Northeastern USA. Ive pulled off a lot of corn field grows. Heres what i can tell you:

1. Dont plant in Sweet Corn.
2. Only plant in late harvest field corn.
3. Choose a fast flowering strain if you are starting from seed. Some Clone strain will flower in time depending how old the mother plant is. Grow out your strains and know when they finish.
4. Field corn is planted in relavence to spring time temperatures. Successful germination of the corn requires a morning soil temp of 55* at a 2" depth for 5 consecutive days. This can range from early Feb. to late April depending on area and soil type.
5. Scout your Field early in the season.
6. Pesticides and herbacides are usually sprayed early on. You want to let the field corn reach a certain height anyways so your plants dont over grow the corn. I usually wait til corn is knee high before entering with plants. Corn in my area is usually "knee high, by the 4th of JULY" I dont plant in the corn until then.
7. What I am doing from Dec. - July is getting my mother plants established and clones rooted and hardened off to go outdoors. Also starting any seed plants and getting them ready to go out.
8. Once you are in the corn, you want to plant directly into the ground.
9. DONT remove any of the farmers corn to replace with your plants. PLANT INBETWEEN THE ROWS. (It wont seem like your plants will get enough sun but they will)
10. Feeding may be necessary throughout the plants vegatation cycle but keep in mind some fields are irrigated and fertilized before corn is planted.
11. Most farmers dry their field corn on the stalk. That means once the corn has finished its cycle it will be left on the stalk until moisture in the kernel reaches 15%-18%. Some farmers take it earlier. I usually plant strains that will be ready to harvest from early Sept.-mid october. I dont risk it usually as the combine has no mercy.
12. NEVER GET CAUGHT IN THE FIELD. This means, dont park by the field while you are planting dropping off flats, plants, water, whatever. Farmers are onto us :D If they see a vehicle parked outside or near the field its dead giveaway, and they will be curious who is in their crop, much like you would be if u seen someone nosing around yours. Always have someone drop you off when you are working in the field. Keep a cell phone with you, so you can let them know when you are finished. Dont let anyone see u going in or out of their field. Always know where you are, and have more than 1 escape route.
Also, Dont bust the farmers corn stalks up coming in or going out. This will not only lesson the farmers harvest, but also leave red flag giveaways from the sky and ground.
13. Dont leave trash or jugs in the field. if u cant carry them with you, make sure they are buried outta sight, and make sure they are removed before the field is harvested.

Im not a field corn expert and im not claiming to be. Just giving you some of my rules i go by to give u heads up. I try to learn more every year about the corn and the farmers I plant amongst. Keep in mind, there are many new corn hybrids being developed to allow for earlier harvest, and other things. Try to educate yourself the best you can. It helps if you know the farmer or know someone who knows the farmer, and u can get inside intel that way; as to harvest dates, spray dates, and other stuff..
Be safe, and I hope this helps you.

R

rizzle

Glorious! Nice info Torturekill, much appreciated. Do you have to feed heavily during veg/flower, just wondering if the corn takes much of the nutrients from the soil. Thanks again for the response

J

Jimson

Thanks - looking good

I found a likely farm AND a nearby gulley with a decent parking area.

Looking forward to 2011!:evilgrin0031:

Top Bottom