PLZ HELP! Weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row!! 😭😤

• Thread starter Sh4kiNBabi3S
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sh4kiNBabi3S

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Ok, so this is my 2nd grow and I am running 3 barneys farm pineapple chunk clones that I took from a pheno I selected from the 1st run. It is currently week 9 of flower. I have 3 of them in 7 gal smart pots. FFOF and feeding with FF dirty dozen plus kelp me kelp you and holy mackerel. They are in a sealed 4x10 tent powered by 2 spider farmer sf2000 and 1 sf4000. The temp stay typically between 75-80 during the day and then drop to around 70 at night. And my rh is kept between 45-55%.

Ok, so now that is out of the way. I ran into this issue at the end of my last grow and then about half way through this one about 2 weeks before I switched it to flower. What happens is the GREEN leaves start to get brown spots, on the top and if you flip them over there is a whitish discoloration in the same location on the leaves as the brown spots on the other side. The fan leaves do too. What happens is the leaves eventually turn yellow starting at the tips, and then once it gets about half way up the leaves it turns to a redish/brown and the leaves dry up. I have included pictures.

What I HAVE TRIED and KNOW. ok so initially When I saw the brown spot I thought cal deficiency. However thats what i thought when this happened last grow and since then i have added calmag on every reg watering and thats how these 3 have ran their entire grow. So I doubt deficiency. Then when I saw the white discoloration on the under side of the leaves I thought pests. It wasn't mold or anything as it wouldn't rub off. Not to mention the rh is well controlled and I have ALOT of fans so circulation isn't an issue what so ever. Not to mention there wasn't any pests flying around or crawling in my soil. What it kind of looked like is the brown dots on the top of the leaf burned through to the bottom but left a white spot instead of a brown one. Still though, I sprayed with neem oil on a 5 day treatment plan. (Still in veg) I also mixed in diatomaceous earth into the top soil and put up stickies. Never saw any kind of pest stuck to those. (I keep a clean grow room)
What I also did at the same time thinking POSSIBLY the soil ph was off or I had salt buildup from the liquid nutrient, was flushed the plants with water ph @ 6.5, and then gave then I light feeding after words.

After that the brown spots that were appearing on the green leaves and producing the weird white mark on the underside of the leaves has stopped. So I think it was some sort of nutrient issue but I have no clue which. I follow the ff dirty dozen feeding schedule along with their flush schedule. I f,-,-,w,-,-,f and so on. So I can't imagine there is alot of buildup especially bc I use my qet vac to get out all the run off.

Anyway, i waited 2 weeks and started flowering.

No new white/brown spots. Now any leaf that had ANY of the brown spots slowly wilts from the tip and then turns this weird rust color. I don't think it's rust mold. Again bc I keep a controlled and clean space. Plus it doesn't actually rub off of the leaves. It just creeps up the fan leaves and once it reaches where the stem connects inside the bud the leaf just dries up and falls off.

I have included as many pics as I could. A couple show the late stage "rust discoloration" and one shows what the little white spots/brown spots that appeared on the tops/bottoms of the leaves look like. This pic is just of a small blade as all the fan leaves are gone but every blade on the big fan leaves had these spots too. Another pic that shows the yellow color the leaves turn before turning the rust color. As well as one that tries to give an idea to just how wide spread the issue is. It's on literally every branch.

I know my harvest is like 2 weeks away so I'm not too worried about this harvest. However it happened on my last one too and surely it strains the plants and is affecting my yield. I would like to solve this issue incase it starts on my next run so I know how to be proactive. Also as a note I have a really nice EC/PPM/Ph meter and I am REALLY careful about checking the ph. It is ALWAYS between 6.35-6.50. So yea. Any suggestions would really help. I've tried other sites but no one seems to know what it is or how to be proactive to keep it from happening. Really appreciate it.

Thanks mates!

Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 2
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 3
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 4
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 5
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 6
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 7
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 8
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 9
Plz help  weird leaf discoloration and death 2 grow in a row 10
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Looks like your soil is either locked out or just ran short on nutrients....probably locked out though considering you were feeding on schedule or just not enough calcium or magnesium and things got out of whack. How often are you feeding kelp? Any calcium supplement?

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Sh4kiNBabi3S

I followed the fox farm kelp me kelp you feeding schedule. So they got it every feeding starting 2 weeks before flower and stop at wk 7 flower. And yes, I give it calmag every regular watering from start to finish.

So you think they are 2 separate issues? Like the brown spots that formed before flower could have been a calcium def caused by the soil ph being off and it not being able to uptake it? Then the flush I did fixed that issue.

And the wilting/rusting leaves are a 2nd issue most likely running short on nutrients?

I agree with most of this except the 2nd part about it being from lack of nutrients. People say fox farm liquids are too strong on their own feeding schedule so you should half the amount and its perfect then apparently. I don't do this. I just feed at half the first couple weeks in veg and then slowly up the PPM when the plant switches to flower for the stretch and then to pack on weight. So Idk if its a nutrient deficiency with the wilting/rusty leaves.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Are those bugs in the last pic? Hard to see if those gray dots are 3D or it's just an illusion.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

going wayy too hard, plants can't take it. Whatever you're feeding, cut it in half. Too focused on yield, to the point you're gonna hurt it

TSD

TSD

To my eye it looks like too many nutrients and possibly too much water... and that last pic looks like eggs of some kind. After harvest I would bleach the room and start fresh, maybe with a different strain... some are more sensitive than others.

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Appreciate the replies but this was actually solved. They got pulled shortly after this post. Turns out it was totally an over watering issue. Thought I was letting the soil dry out enough watering every 3rd or 4th day but I guess not. Roots had rotted haulting nutrient uptake causing all the issues. No bugs for sure but still bleached the tent before I reloaded as is my usual practice. Switched to a super soil home mix high in coco for better drainage. Haven't had an issue like this since. Again really appreciate all the input. Super helpful. Just goes to show 99% of the issues are something super basic. Live and learn I suppose.

For anyone curious here is my current 4x4 with 1000watt hps. Had a auto stardawg and gsc by Barneys but the gsc never switched. Stardawg just got cut. Just switched the gsc lights to 12/12 for force flower. Would have done it sooner but I also had my vegging plants in there and had to wait for my 4x8 to be free.

The 4x8 now has 6 pineapple chunk clones in there. They just got their 2nd topping and LST. About 3 weeks from light switch.

All of which need water tomorrow so they aren't praying quite as much as usual. Still much better than the last run.

As a side note the harvest is on day 5 of drying. 50% rh 70°f. Probably about 5 days left before trim. Took most of the big fan leaves before chop but I like to leave asmuch of the plant intact as I can to slow the drying process. So far super gasy smelling. No hints dried grass. Should be pretty fire.

Any side tips are welcome ofcourse.

Thanks again mates.

227 1
227 3
227 4
227 5
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Looks good nice grow even with the ups n down you had . Od .

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Oh that last post is actually a completely different harvest. Didn't take pics of the one I had all the issues with. Still managed close to 1.25lbs though even with all the issues. Yield was definitely affected though. Here is a pic of the dried product from the grow with all the issues. Still not bad. But could have been better. Buds just didn't dense up asmuch as they could have. Still taste fire. I try and take the stance that the information I gained is more valuable than the size of the harvest. Especially since it is just a personal grow.

growsince79

growsince79

Overwatered soil drowns roots and locks out nutes. Adding chunky perlite helps a lot. Great learning experience. Your next run will be awesome.

Dosifry

Dosifry

Is there any bud rot hiding in there? Have you probed the buds looking for soft spots?

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

Pineapple strains like to mold and over-water easily. This is a classic case of too much food and water.

Ponky

Ponky

If the buds are loose and the strain is weak. In the words of the wise O.T. Genisis
"You need to cut it...."

Get a new strain. Super clean. Air intake hepa filter sets. Full ozone peroxide. All of it.

Sh4kiNBabi3S

Sh4kiNBabi3S

This is an old post that has already been resolved as stated above. It was an over water issue. I was waiting 3-4 days between watering and I guess it wasn't long enuf. When I cut them the roots were rotted to hell. No mold though.. Since then I switched to a coco/soil/pearlite mix and have had nothing but smooth sailing since. Appreciate the input tho.

karolanne

karolanne

This is an old post that has already been resolved as stated above. It was an over water issue. I was waiting 3-4 days between watering and I guess it wasn't long enuf. When I cut them the roots were rotted to hell. No mold though.. Since then I switched to a coco/soil/pearlite mix and have had nothing but smooth sailing since. Appreciate the input tho.
I noticed on the site a small tendancies to dig up grave... 😁

Aceman103

Aceman103

Ok, so this is my 2nd grow and I am running 3 barneys farm pineapple chunk clones that I took from a pheno I selected from the 1st run. It is currently week 9 of flower. I have 3 of them in 7 gal smart pots. FFOF and feeding with FF dirty dozen plus kelp me kelp you and holy mackerel. They are in a sealed 4x10 tent powered by 2 spider farmer sf2000 and 1 sf4000. The temp stay typically between 75-80 during the day and then drop to around 70 at night. And my rh is kept between 45-55%.

Ok, so now that is out of the way. I ran into this issue at the end of my last grow and then about half way through this one about 2 weeks before I switched it to flower. What happens is the GREEN leaves start to get brown spots, on the top and if you flip them over there is a whitish discoloration in the same location on the leaves as the brown spots on the other side. The fan leaves do too. What happens is the leaves eventually turn yellow starting at the tips, and then once it gets about half way up the leaves it turns to a redish/brown and the leaves dry up. I have included pictures.

What I HAVE TRIED and KNOW. ok so initially When I saw the brown spot I thought cal deficiency. However thats what i thought when this happened last grow and since then i have added calmag on every reg watering and thats how these 3 have ran their entire grow. So I doubt deficiency. Then when I saw the white discoloration on the under side of the leaves I thought pests. It wasn't mold or anything as it wouldn't rub off. Not to mention the rh is well controlled and I have ALOT of fans so circulation isn't an issue what so ever. Not to mention there wasn't any pests flying around or crawling in my soil. What it kind of looked like is the brown dots on the top of the leaf burned through to the bottom but left a white spot instead of a brown one. Still though, I sprayed with neem oil on a 5 day treatment plan. (Still in veg) I also mixed in diatomaceous earth into the top soil and put up stickies. Never saw any kind of pest stuck to those. (I keep a clean grow room)
What I also did at the same time thinking POSSIBLY the soil ph was off or I had salt buildup from the liquid nutrient, was flushed the plants with water ph @ 6.5, and then gave then I light feeding after words.

After that the brown spots that were appearing on the green leaves and producing the weird white mark on the underside of the leaves has stopped. So I think it was some sort of nutrient issue but I have no clue which. I follow the ff dirty dozen feeding schedule along with their flush schedule. I f,-,-,w,-,-,f and so on. So I can't imagine there is alot of buildup especially bc I use my qet vac to get out all the run off.

Anyway, i waited 2 weeks and started flowering.

No new white/brown spots. Now any leaf that had ANY of the brown spots slowly wilts from the tip and then turns this weird rust color. I don't think it's rust mold. Again bc I keep a controlled and clean space. Plus it doesn't actually rub off of the leaves. It just creeps up the fan leaves and once it reaches where the stem connects inside the bud the leaf just dries up and falls off.

I have included as many pics as I could. A couple show the late stage "rust discoloration" and one shows what the little white spots/brown spots that appeared on the tops/bottoms of the leaves look like. This pic is just of a small blade as all the fan leaves are gone but every blade on the big fan leaves had these spots too. Another pic that shows the yellow color the leaves turn before turning the rust color. As well as one that tries to give an idea to just how wide spread the issue is. It's on literally every branch.

I know my harvest is like 2 weeks away so I'm not too worried about this harvest. However it happened on my last one too and surely it strains the plants and is affecting my yield. I would like to solve this issue incase it starts on my next run so I know how to be proactive. Also as a note I have a really nice EC/PPM/Ph meter and I am REALLY careful about checking the ph. It is ALWAYS between 6.35-6.50. So yea. Any suggestions would really help. I've tried other sites but no one seems to know what it is or how to be proactive to keep it from happening. Really appreciate it.

Thanks mates!
MAg deficient and possible ph issues

jamk911

jamk911

Be amazed if those buds from this grow didnt have budrot with all the dead leaf matter everywhere too..
I agree with nick though.. because everything here looks like issues I have had... if I had not corrected it and it got 100x worse..
Ive seen the bronzing of the leaf margins like that.. from overwatering
I have seen the leaf tips that way from nute burning..
And I have seen budrot start this way too..

I think yer problem was overthinking it and letting the maniacs get in your head on these forums...

Just use logic and relax with your plants and itll go fine..
Dont check em every 2 seconds.. youll end up watering and feeding em too often..
Go by the pots weight and visuals..

Nutrients.. start low.. if the leaves appear lime green.. up the dosage until a bit of the tips show burn and then take it easy..

If the room feels a good temp for you and is easy to breathe in.. the plants fine with it..

If the air seems stale inside.. give em some fans and airflow..

Its all just using common sense .. nothing about growing pot is rocket science.. its just using good judgement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom