Pollen Press

• Thread starter WilliamHBonneey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WilliamHBonneey

So I was reading up on pollen presses and got really excited about the whole idea I found a really good press on Ebay and its made from anodized aircraft grade aluminum but like always I have questions. After an epic fail a few years back from trying to make keif hash I gave up the trade save for making oil.

*with the press I was wondering if you can make keif pressed hash

*or if you have to make bubble hash then press it

*also how would you go about making the bubble hash? make it freeze it then press or straight from the bag wet then press?

*And which method will get me more hash keif to brick or bubble to brick?

Thanks in advance for your help,

William H Bonney

***note I posted this also on grasscity forums***

R

Reefer Franklin

Billy The Kid I presume ?

You can go many ways.

I prefer dry sifted hash because it seems to preserve the varietal flavor of the donor material. Sour Diesel hash tastes like Sour Diesel bud and hits you much the same way - but in spades.

To make it you can shake very chopped (I run it through a Trim Reaper for 10 minutes) trim through a 150 micron bubble bag. Freeze it first for a couple of hours.

This will get you the most initial trichomes and minimal plant material. I just load about 8 oz into a 5 gallon bag, hold the top tight and shake into a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Do this for 5 minutes with decent quality trim and you will get about 4 grams of hash. See pics of 1/8th oz balls collected in about 4 mins. Repeat this process 2 or three times, dump the trim, put in fresh and begin again. Don't forget the licking. What licking ? See next paragraph.

Use a credit card to herd your spoils. I had been using my drivers licence, but I got extra scrutiny when I was stopped by the CHP. Even though I am 215 compliant in this state you don't want to encourage any extra attention from The Man. If you do use your drivers licence clean it carefully by licking it lots.
In a 4 hour sifting session if you follow this advice you will forget what your name is and which planet you were cloned on. Trust me.

Now you can try using a tumbler if you have one. These machines will rotate the plant material in a preferably stainless steel drum. I would suggest 100 mesh which allows the best combo of quality and quantity.

There is a plan on this site for a DIY one, but IMHO the rotisserie motor is too slow to tumble the trim for the sort of production I want. You need a motor which will rotate at about 30 rpm. If in doubt buy one with a variable speed motor.

Now this is fun. Run your machine for about 5 minutes. Pull out your winnings and smoke some. Not on top of what you had in your bowl or bong or vaporizer at 6.00pm, but fresh. Now observe how wonderful this is and run the machine for another 15 minutes. Smoke more.

You will discover that the quality of the hash diminishes the longer you run the machine - but not as much as you may think. You can run one of these puppies for hours and still get a very acceptable smoke, usually much better than the donor material. If in doubt smoke some of the trim before you put in the machine, register a value on your Stone-O-Meter (TM), and let the tumbler rip. Wait 30 minutes, cull some Triches and make a comparison.
You may want to stop tumbling when you have collected an insignificant amount of hash for 30 minutes.

Now comes the messy and cold process of cold water extraction. If you have enough plant material and large enough huevos you can turn to the wife/husband and say "darling Tuesday night may be laundry night, but Wednesday night is Hash night."

Get yourself a couple of Martha Stewrat Laundry Bags availible at Wal Mart and load them up. Now get about a cup of Calcium Carbonate and run it through the normal cycle on your washing machine. You can either do that when the wife isn't around or you can buy a new washing machine. Option 1 could result in serious reparations or even divorce. But you take your choice. Calcium Carbonate will clean all the residual detergent and bleach out of the machine.

Put your laundry bags in the machine and move the run-out hose to a very large bucket (preferably a 50 gallon drum), then put your machine on a normal cycle. At the end you will have some pretty dirty looking water. Run it through your bubble bags. Collect, dry, smoke. Repeat.

The hash shown below was made in the last couple of months. It's mainly dry sift, because I really think that produces the best hash. Just grab a handful of it and moud it into a ball. As you compress it it will become solid.

Most of it will bubble when lit, hence the name Bubble Hash. But if it doesn't bubble don't deduce that it's inferior. Hash that catches fire and just smolders can be great. I think I just discovered a new style of hash - Smolder Hash. Please note everybody that Smolder Hash was invented here on THC Farmer 1/24.11

I just smoked some Panama Red that smoldered. Just hold it in one hand, light it and inhale. From producer to consumer in one atavistic move. No man made products anywhere - oh of course the matches or lighter.

Panama Red you say. Surely that stuff is as extinct as DVD's of Jurrasic Park.
Not so. I ran into an old timer near where I live who had become lazy with age. He knew that I loved making hash.

"Lend me your Tim Leafer for a day and I will give you all my trim."

"Who is Tim Leafer", I asked, pulling his willy wanker. Not literally you evil buggers, just metaphorically.

"Well what are you growing ?" I asked, expecting the usual menu of boring, safe varietals like Green Crack, OG Kush, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Panama Red", he answered.

"You lying ancient sack of shit," I responded politely.

"No it's true. My old buddy Jim found a little bag of seeds in his shed last year that had "Pan Red '74" on the front. We germinated them and got 8 to work.
This is the weed I grew from them."

It didn't look THAT red, although it was definitely redder that my Sour Diesel. But of course the red happens because the Panamanian sun is so bakingly hot.

"How many plants do you have ?"

"Five" he answered.

"And I can have all the trim ?"

"Yup"

"How does Friday work for you ?"

"Great"

The upshot was that as we harvested we consumed - mainly through licking our fingers. And I became more and more convinced that he was telling the truth. My memory of Panama Red is in England circa 1975 when a friend on vacation in the US daringly sent our tight circle of friends half an oz wrapped in a sweaty T shirt. It got home.

It was very buzzy compared to the morrocan, nepalese and afghan hash which was our staple. And uplifting for the time. I liked it. It wasn't depressing.

The stuff my old timer has brought back the memories. But this stuff was about five times stronger than that. Nutes, better soil. Who knows, but who cares. The stuff is wicked and pictured below.

But I'm rambling Mr Kid, and of course on this forum that happens a lot.

Good luck and have have.

I'll never be your Reef of burden.

Imported Photos 00000
Imported Photos 00002
Imported Photos 00003
Imported Photos 00007
Imported Photos 00009
Camdawg

Camdawg

i have a pollen press(a cheap lil one) i hate it. its just turns into a mess and id rather just smoke my kief. ive tried everything to get it to press lil discs but they always kinda crumple and break up.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome

Panama Red, incredible hope your amigo took clones of those 40 year old plants

mal

Unit541

Unit541

i have a pollen press(a cheap lil one) i hate it. its just turns into a mess and id rather just smoke my kief. ive tried everything to get it to press lil discs but they always kinda crumple and break up.

If you're after little hockey pucks, put your fully loaded press into the oven at around 190 - 200F for 20-30 minutes. Let cool, enjoy.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I had problems with the small hand press until i figured it. First clean it with alcohol every time, dry it out good, Cut 2 pieces of wax paper for each end. Put a wax paper in, kief, wax paper and press, Will come out perfect every time.
And on the tumblers, run them for 8 hours that shit will keep coming out. Im getting 2oz kief from 1lb of trim and it all comes out blonde top knotch kief the quality dont really go down much at all running that long, Unless you use old material that breaks down then you will get trash falling threw your scren, Do it when you trim is just dry so the the leaf dont break down.

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

why do people press hash anyways? so it looks like imported hash? it A) degrades the quality of the resin glands B) makes it harder to smoke cuz you gotta break it up C) is a pain in the ass, adds extra step to your process

Top Bottom